Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I assume it's because OSU owns lots of farmland, including near Perkins for growing cotton in the recent past where there is still a station. But why only one station in Cleveland County where OU and the NWS is headquartered?
    Not much farmland in Cleveland County anymore, except for far west Norman and the Slaughterville/Lexington area. Plus, OU isn't an agricultural school.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    With how isolated storms can be in Oklahoma, I wonder how accurate our historical data is if we do not have high resolution of collection.
    I would imagine fairly accurate over a long timeframe as the precipitation variability from storm to storm all tends to even out over time.

Quick moving cluster of storms approaching C OK right now. Looks like a mostly northern side of metro to be clipped.

Severe threat for a more powerful MCS overnight Tuesday into Wednesday, but primarily looks to be across N OK.

Wow, loudest thunderclap I've ever heard... My ears are ringing!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Quick moving cluster of storms approaching C OK right now. Looks like a mostly northern side of metro to be clipped.

Severe threat for a more powerful MCS overnight Tuesday into Wednesday, but primarily looks to be across N OK.
    crazy clouds on the front side of this storm ..

The rain from LHP/Grand to Paycom HQ from 7:30-8:00 has been unreal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VideoCapture_20230627-081007.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	533.7 KB 
ID:	18097

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Not much farmland in Cleveland County anymore, except for far west Norman and the Slaughterville/Lexington area. Plus, OU isn't an agricultural school.
    But you failed to answer the question which was, why only one station in Cleveland County where OU and the NWS is headquartered? Maybe someone else can answer.

The Mesonet is always looking for volunteers to donate access to a small portion of their land for a station, they can't just go in and put one. And there are a bunch of requirements of the site that must be met. So perhaps nobody else in Cleveland County that has sizable land wants to have one on their property?

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    The Mesonet is always looking for volunteers to donate access to a small portion of their land for a station, they can't just go in and put one. And there are a bunch of requirements of the site that must be met. So perhaps nobody else in Cleveland County that has sizable land wants to have one on their property?
    Yeah, I suspect they have a harder time finding volunteers than you would think, which is why when they had to decommission the OKC North site once The Half started to be built out, the replacement station ended up all the way out on Bob Funk's Express Ranches a few miles to the north of Yukon.

I watched a few weather casts on TV yesterday and I don't think anyone predicted these OKC storms this morning. Picked up 1/2" of rain. Mike Morgan was predicting a significant straight line wind event across the northern part of the state for Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

South OKC missed out again.

12. Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My wife texted me about the time you posted this and said the same thing @ 36th & Lincoln.

WOW, a dramatic big heat surge is on for Wednesday. 108 for OKC, 109 for Stillwater, 111 for Altus. The record-breaking Texas heat wave is going to make it here. I think I'll have to see and feel it to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Same thing in Stillwater. It startled the cat and me. It was the only loud one. The rest sounded in the distance.

15. Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    My wife texted me about the time you posted this and said the same thing @ 36th & Lincoln.
    My office is off of 36th & Santa Fe. On the way in this morning, there was a pretty big lightning strike and loud thunder to the ESE of that intersection at around 7:50.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    It would be nice if the Mesonet added more stations across the OKC Metro to get better data across the city other than 2 stations in OKC East and Spencer. Payne County has twice as many sites.
    At one time, OKC had a micronet as well - stations on traffic light poles across the City. Unfortunately, Mesonet budget cuts stopped the program. It was really cool.

https://www.mesonet.org/research/pas...t%20(a%20joint

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I watched a few weather casts on TV yesterday and I don't think anyone predicted these OKC storms this morning. Picked up 1/2" of rain. Mike Morgan was predicting a significant straight line wind event across the northern part of the state for Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.
    The National Weather Service had a 20% chance overnight and up until 10:00 am...

It's weird, I keep hitting refresh on NWS site and it shows the OKC temperature at 2:53 to be 83. That's down from 86 an hour previously. Yet, they are sticking to their forecasted high of 96. Seems the lingering cloud cover is keeping the temperatures down and the consistent breeze is limiting the impact of the humidity.

I realize it could start baking at 4 pm. or 5 pm. and eventually get up to the forecasted high, but it's looking less likely as the day goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It's weird, I keep hitting refresh on NWS site and it shows the OKC temperature at 2:53 to be 83. That's down from 86 an hour previously. Yet, they are sticking to their forecasted high of 96. Seems the lingering cloud cover is keeping the temperatures down and the consistent breeze is limiting the impact of the humidity.

I realize it could start baking at 4 pm. or 5 pm. and eventually get up to the forecasted high, but it's looking less likely as the day goes on.
    Their modeling likely didn't include morning storms or the subsequent cloudcover.

The latest Mesoscale Discussion from the SPC has me keeping at least half an eye on whether this evening's MCS could skirt the far northern portions of the Metro. Tulsa Metro unfortunately looks to be under the gun for a significant wind threat once again.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1312.html

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Their modeling likely didn't include morning storms or the subsequent cloudcover.
    Yes, I realize that. But, they often will update the forecast as the day goes on. Never saw an adjustment. One thought is that the airport didn't get the rain in the morning. Was it hot as heck on the south side today? I don't think we got above 90 in NW OKC.

New convection outlook out brings the risks closer in toward C OK. However, current radar trend and forecast models show storms just barely missing OKC proper.

This MCS will end up going well north of the Metro. It might have just been better to keep the risk areas where they originally were, lol. Gotta love the weather.

Yea funny how that worked out. The original OK/KS border track was spot-on.

Yea funny how that worked out. The original OK/KS border track was spot-on.
    Stillwater got the gust front, but the rain passed by just to the north.

Thread Information