Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Classen Curve

Default Re: Classen Curve

I agree. Parking is going to Be a huge issue. Recently we went to the builders to get maps of the buildings incase we respond to a fire we know where the main utilities are and there is a lot of space for many stores in those buildings but limited parking. i think that they will need to buy land somewhere and put in a parking area. I do beleive that once it is up and running it will be a great place.

I am from Wyoming and in Salt lake city Utah there is a mall called Gateway. It is an outdoor 2 story mall and you walk down the middle like a street thats closed to cars. it is an awesome place and i hope this will be somewhat like that. alothough on a smaller scale.

OKCBiz > Classen Curve gets New York-style pie with an Oklahoma twist

Article on OKCBiz about the Upper Crust Wood Fired Pizza restaurant opening up at CC.

I drove by last night and again this morning, the running store has signage up now, Red Coyote Running or something like that. Looks like work has just started. I wonder if "redrunner" is owner/worker at Red Coyote.

Republic, this upper crust pizza joint, and cafe 501 locating close to classen curve...I'm liking the new nearby(to me) and locally owned eating options that are opening up. Good egg group, Hal smith and the 501 folks from Edmond all run great restaurants.

According to their Facebook page, Red Coyote Running & Fitness is expecting to open in late March. Even though they're not open yet, last weekend they hosted the Oklahoma Landrunner's OKC Memorial Marathon training run. Looks like an enthusiastic group of young entrepreneurs.

Here's the full OKCBiz article for when we can't access the archieves after a while.

Classen Curve gets New York-style pie with an Oklahoma twist
    Pamela Grady

Hal Smith Restaurant Group soon will unveil its latest concept, Upper Crust Wood Fired Pizza, at 5860 N Classen Blvd. at Classen Curve.

Chief Operating Officer Hank Kraft said the company has been working on its new concept for the past eight months.

The eatery’s interior will showcase earthen tiles, natural woods, expansive glass, granite counters and hand-scraped wood floors throughout to give the restaurant a “Napa Valley” feel.

“The building’s structure is up, and we’re now waiting for the roof to be added,” Kraft said. “Then we’ll begin the build out. We hope to open by the end of May.”

Chef Brad Johnson is charged with creating the menu. The uptown pizzeria and wine bar will specialize in wood-fired, New York-style pizza pies, complemented by a full menu and wine list.

Johnson said the restaurant’s open-designed kitchen will feature two wood-fired brick ovens for fast baking and charring of the Caputo-floured dough to give pie crusts a smoky edge.

“Once you do this (Caputo) dough, you don’t want to do anything else. It’s not going to be your typical pepperoni pizza,” Johnson said. “These are pies with high-quality, fresh ingredients. I have a little producer on the south side of Chicago that’s making my Italian sausage and pepperoni for me. The family that is doing it owns a walk-up deli and doesn’t usually ship out of Chicago. But we get our meats for our Mahogany restaurant from them, and I have the opportunity to piggyback and bring in some really good and different styles of meats with incredible flavors and textures.”

He said many of the freshly-made cheeses will come from Houston, and he’s using a producer north of Stratford, Okla., to grow the tomatoes.

The group’s 4,100-square-foot freestanding structure has been under construction and should be turned over to the restaurant owners within the next 30 days or so.

“We’re (HSRG) stepping outside of our box a little bit with a more relaxed and casual approach to the table," Johnson said. "It won’t be your white tablecloth type of restaurant. It’s a ‘let’s have a great time with great food and drink' atmosphere.”

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Republic, this upper crust pizza joint, and cafe 501 locating close to classen curve...I'm liking the new nearby(to me) and locally owned eating options that are opening up. Good egg group, Hal smith and the 501 folks from Edmond all run great restaurants.
    Cafe 501 IS locating in Classen Curve, on the SE corner building. Their sign has a new logo, unlike the Edmond location, and just says 501 with a circle around it.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I wonder if "redrunner" is owner/worker at Red Coyote.
    Nope, just a coincidence with the name.

Anybody seeing a problem with tight parking and lots of restaurants?

10. Default Re: Classen Curve

Read the thread a bit more. That topic was just touched on within the last page and on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Here's the full OKCBiz article for when we can't access the archieves after a while.

Classen Curve gets New York-style pie with an Oklahoma twist
    Pamela Grady

Hal Smith Restaurant Group soon will unveil its latest concept, Upper Crust Wood Fired Pizza, at 5860 N Classen Blvd. at Classen Curve.

Chief Operating Officer Hank Kraft said the company has been working on its new concept for the past eight months.

The eatery’s interior will showcase earthen tiles, natural woods, expansive glass, granite counters and hand-scraped wood floors throughout to give the restaurant a “Napa Valley” feel.

“The building’s structure is up, and we’re now waiting for the roof to be added,” Kraft said. “Then we’ll begin the build out. We hope to open by the end of May.”

Chef Brad Johnson is charged with creating the menu. The uptown pizzeria and wine bar will specialize in wood-fired, New York-style pizza pies, complemented by a full menu and wine list.

Johnson said the restaurant’s open-designed kitchen will feature two wood-fired brick ovens for fast baking and charring of the Caputo-floured dough to give pie crusts a smoky edge.

“Once you do this (Caputo) dough, you don’t want to do anything else. It’s not going to be your typical pepperoni pizza,” Johnson said. “These are pies with high-quality, fresh ingredients. I have a little producer on the south side of Chicago that’s making my Italian sausage and pepperoni for me. The family that is doing it owns a walk-up deli and doesn’t usually ship out of Chicago. But we get our meats for our Mahogany restaurant from them, and I have the opportunity to piggyback and bring in some really good and different styles of meats with incredible flavors and textures.”

He said many of the freshly-made cheeses will come from Houston, and he’s using a producer north of Stratford, Okla., to grow the tomatoes.

The group’s 4,100-square-foot freestanding structure has been under construction and should be turned over to the restaurant owners within the next 30 days or so.

“We’re (HSRG) stepping outside of our box a little bit with a more relaxed and casual approach to the table," Johnson said. "It won’t be your white tablecloth type of restaurant. It’s a ‘let’s have a great time with great food and drink' atmosphere.”
    Why are they calling this New York style? It's not. Are they going to be like Grimaldi's or something? I'm not seeing it.

The only really decent Hal Smith restaurants are Redrock Canyon and Mahogany. Mama Roja's is terrible. Charleston's is mediocre. Louie's is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Why are they calling this New York style? It's not. Are they going to be like Grimaldi's or something? I'm not seeing it.

The only really decent Hal Smith restaurants are Redrock Canyon and Mahogany. Mama Roja's is terrible. Charleston's is mediocre. Louie's is awful.
    Ouch... I don't mind Mama Roja's or Louies. I think this will be an interesting endeavor for Hal Smith. Never hurts to try... although I think I'll be frequenting Republic much more often than the pizza joint.

I agree with you on Mama Rojas but totally disagree with you on Louies.. My experiences there have been wonderfully tasty!!

Seriously. Real New York style pizza is baked in a coal-fired oven.

LOL...I was having similar thoughts. How does "New York style" fit in with the Napa Valley decor and meats from Chicago, cheese from Houston? Where does the Okie twist come from? Oh, ok, on edit I see the tomatoes are Okie...LOL

Have to disagree with the Mama Roja's comment though. Have been there about a dozen times now and the food as always been superior to most any other Mex place in town. Don't think I have been to any of the other ones you mentioned so can't comment on them.
    Last edited by Larry OKC; 02-12-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: sp

I'm an Iguana Lounge fan, rather than Mama Rojas, and agree that Redrock is very nice. Mahogany, to me, is just like the Ranch and Boulevard Steakhouse, and even pricier.

I suspect that the chances of getting a true New York style pizza are slim, but that doesn't mean their pizza won't taste good. It will be worth a try.

Don't get me wrong, I will try them out. Supposedly Falcones (sp?) there just north of 63rd and May is true "New York style" (love the Godfather/Sinatra inspired decor) but the food was terrible. Think they have opened a 2nd location in Bricktown.

Where is Iguana Lounge? is it downtown?
    Last edited by Larry OKC; 02-12-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I will try them out. Supposedly Falcones (sp?) there just north of 63rd and May is true "New York style" (love the Godfather/Sinatra inspired decor) but the food was terrible. Think they have opened a 2nd location in Bricktown.

Falcone's in Bricktown has been open a year or two now. They had a Bethany location as well, but it closed recently.

Iguana is located on 9th just east of Broadway (Automobile Alley). Iguana Lounge was located on Western - this is a rebirth, but it's called Iguana Mexican Grill now. Iguana Mexican Grill

How is Republic coming along?

Blog Entries

Is this going to be similar to the Wedge?

Blog Entries

By the way, I eat pizza in NYC alot. Falcones is not like the better places there. BTW, NYC is where pizza originated in the US.

I think the referrence to NAPA is in ambiance and not in menu. Local ingredients will add to NYC "style" pizza.

Would really like to have them make pizzas like in Naples or Rome....crispy with excellent fresh vegetables and high quality meats....not too overly laden with cheese and sauce.

Not to hijack this thread more than it already has been in the past day but what's going in the former Iguana location at 6714 N. Western. Property still owned by Jeff Records? Anybody have privy to building permits or inside intel?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Not to hijack this thread more than it already has been in the past day but what's going in the former Iguana location at 6714 N. Western. Property still owned by Jeff Records? Anybody have privy to building permits or inside intel?
    http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaura...n-western.html

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post

Falcone's is NYC style, however it has gone downhill. Some claim the original (the location you mentioned) is the best. I'm impartial as it all taste the same at all his locations.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Falcone's in Bricktown has been open a year or two now. They had a Bethany location as well, but it closed recently.

Iguana is located on 9th just east of Broadway (Automobile Alley). Iguana Lounge was located on Western - this is a rebirth, but it's called Iguana Mexican Grill now. Iguana Mexican Grill
    FYI, Falcone's has like 4 metro locations left I think, Edmond and Bethany closed. If you want real NYC pizza, go to Papa Angelo's in DT Bethany. Wayyyyy better than Falcones. See the thread in food court.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    How is Republic coming along?
    Will open pretty soon. I'm guessing early March.

Republic's Facebook and Twitter pages say less than 60 days and that they are hiring.

This place will be a homerun, ala McNellie's.

Thread Information