Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161762 ... LastLast

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: Penn Central

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    btw, it doesn't look like the main building is higher number of floors per say but that the office building is incorporated on top of the garage.

Anyway, I'll still take it and wish downtown developers would build like this!!!
    Density for density's sake is not always worth it. But yes, this project is awesome, and if built as planned, will be a huge addition to OKC's retail and office scene.

Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

The good news is they have to build densely in order to justify the big investment already made in the property.

I live in the neighborhood to the south and it's already seeing quite a few renovations, as it's mainly mid-century homes with some really nice streets.

I need to do a photo essay of the area bounded by Penn, May, 50th and I-44. I'd stack that square mile up as one of the most unique in all of OKC, as there are a bunch of different housing styles, sizes and eras represented. In my 3 years we've seen good appreciation and I think this project will help tremendously, similar to the neighborhood next to Classen Curve.

My only complaint about my neighborhood is that there is very little within walking distance. I've walked to Penn Square but it was a rather death-defying act. I hope the pedestrian connectivity will be vastly improved with this new development.

Reminds me of a lot of the developments in Charlotte surrounding Southpark Mall. OKC has needed something like this for a long time. Glad to see the odds of this happening so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The good news is they have to build densely in order to justify the big investment already made in the property.

I live in the neighborhood to the south and it's already seeing quite a few renovations, as it's mainly mid-century homes with some really nice streets.

I need to do a photo essay of the area bounded by Penn, May, 50th and I-44. I'd stack that square mile up as one of the most unique in all of OKC, as there are a bunch of different housing styles, sizes and eras represented. In my 3 years we've seen good appreciation and I think this project will help tremendously, similar to the neighborhood next to Classen Curve.

My only complaint about my neighborhood is that there is very little within walking distance. I've walked to Penn Square but it was a rather death-defying act. I hope the pedestrian connectivity will be vastly improved with this new development.
    Are most of the neighbors in favor of this?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Are most of the neighbors in favor of this?
    I'm several blocks south and just outside the notice area. I honestly don't think any of my immediate neighbors have any clue.

There were some protests from the people closest to the development, but not many.

One big bonus: We just got tons of new sidewalks all through the hood, no doubt because there is an elementary school right in the middle. Will make it super easy to stroll over for the residents.

Hot damn, that looks awesome.

7. Default Re: Penn Central

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac C. Parker View Post
    They're keeping the Southern Live Oaks on the property while labeling OKC as the Midwest. I love the irony.

But I respect the developers so much for not tearing these trees out; they're in great shape and really add a lot to the property.
    SOOO pleased to hear the trees are staying. I drive by them twice a day and appreciate them each time. Love 'em.

Love. It.

I hope it ends up looking like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I was hoping they would retain the existing live oaks and it sounds like they're going to.
    Yes indeed! Not to derail this thread to much, however, would love to see the developer plant some more mature live oaks as part of this development! Never understood why OKC has such few of these "live oaks"? They keep their leaves in the winter time and they can survive in the OKC climate. We have tons of them in DFW. This development looks top notch and unique for OKC. I hope this raises the bar for future development like this in OKC. I guess time and the market place will determine it?
    Last edited by progressiveboy; 07-20-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Spelling error.

This looks amazing, and I’m sure Ryan wouldn’t build it if he felt the market wouldn’t support it. But ultimately this ain’t Texas, and you have to seriously wonder about the continued viability of some of the lesser districts if this gets built as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    This looks amazing, and I’m sure Ryan wouldn’t build it if he felt the market wouldn’t support it. But ultimately this ain’t Texas, and you have to seriously wonder about the continued viability of some of the lesser districts if this gets built as planned.
    Darwinism is still a thing. But kind of a weird negative flex.

OKC metro will likely have grown by about 150k between 2010 and 2020 when all is said and done, which helps support the increased restaurant and retail options that we've seen over the last few years. Weaker places will always die off due to additional competition but as long as the metro keeps trending upwards the overall standard of our restaurant and retail choices should continue to improve.

Pete, can you describe which direction we are looking on this?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pete, can you describe which direction we are looking on this?
    Looking due south.

The taller office structure is facing north with the realigned NW 50th street running e/w right in front of the building in that rendering. Penn would be just to the left of the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Yes indeed! Not to derail this thread to much, however, would love to see the developer plant some more mature live oaks as part of this development! Never understood why OKC has such few of these "live oaks"? They keep their leaves in the winter time and they can survive in the OKC climate. We have tons of them in DFW. This development looks top notch and unique for OKC. I hope this raises the bar for future development like this in OKC. I guess time and the market place will determine it?
    Check a Hardiness Zone Map. . .OKC is 7 b. . a little cold for Live Oaks. . .DFW is in 8a. We are just on the northern border of what they can tolerate. You absolutely will find Live Oaks in OKC, but they probably are in a little bit of a micro climate. I have a friend who maintains an oleander outdoors. but it is in a very special place!!

Love the project. HATE the name (but I do love that they are keeping the trees). OKC is one of America’s only cities in which monuments of thanks are bestowed for simply improving landscaping.

On social media, they have said they will have a 4-star hotel, 12 bars and restaurants and 250,000 square feet of retail space in addition to office.

Now they are over the big approval hurdles, I'm sure they are busy trying to make deals.

On social media, they have said they will have a 4-star hotel, 12 bars and restaurants and 250,000 square feet of retail space in addition to office.

Now they are over the big approval hurdles, I'm sure they are busy trying to make deals.
    When is it going before City Council for approval again?

When is it going before City Council for approval again?
    They have already approved.

They have already approved.
    Oh, sweet! I must have missed that. My bad, Pete! I am hoping they have some highly likely tenants already lined up to be advertising facts like those.

Curious, how many SF is PSM for comparison?

^

Just over 1 million.

^

Just over 1 million.
    Great thanks. And to me thats good news, it shouldn’t pilfer much or kill PSM. Rather it will add to area and feed off each other.

Oh, sweet! I must have missed that. My bad, Pete! I am hoping they have some highly likely tenants already lined up to be advertising facts like those.
    I was mistaken.

City Council won't vote until August 13th.

But it's very rare they go against the recommendation of the Planning Commission, which was unanimous.

Pete, would it be possible to link their Facebook and/or Twitter pages?

Thread Information