Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Park (Softball Hall of Fame)

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Florida State University 8 - University of Oklahoma 4

Seminoles take game 1 in the best of three

Oklahoman, June 8, 2021

Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Good game by FSU.

Let’s see how OU responds.

3. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

OU has responded by beating every team that beat them this season in the next game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    OU has responded by beating every team that beat them this season in the next game.
    True, also don't recall them losing two in a row...

If that holds true, it’ll be an absolute shame to have the decisive game three played at 2PM.

6. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

I bet that's dictated by ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I bet that's dictated by ESPN.
    The "if necessary" game 3 was supposed to be on Wednesday, but after weather delays on Sunday, they pushed the entire tournament back a day. ESPN has an NBA doubleheader on Thursday so softball had to go before them if they wanted it on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The "if necessary" game 3 was supposed to be on Wednesday, but after weather delays on Sunday, they pushed the entire tournament back a day. ESPN has an NBA doubleheader on Thursday so softball had to go before them if they wanted it on ESPN.
    this is the answer ... i will add that ESPN2 has live NCAA track national championships .. so that was not an option ..... so you either keep the game on ESPN and play early (to still a pretty big audience) or have your game 3 regulated to espnu or espnews .

9. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

They could always put it on The Ocho.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I have tickets for Wednesday. What are the parking options? Couple years ago they had a shuttle from Remington Park. Is that still the case? As far as tickets go. https://www.ncaatickets.com/champion...e-world-series Looks like you can get 2 together for $50 each? just pulled up 2 for the outfield for tonight $35 each better jump on them if you want them. It's 9:30am
    Park at Remington Park and take the shuttle. Extremely comfortable and easy. When we arrived, there appeared to be a long line for a shuttle, but they run so many that we only had to wait like five or ten minutes.

Similarly, after the game, despite the crush of people, they run enough shuttles that we were only in line like 10 to 15 minutes.

The shuttles are very nice oversized motor coaches.

As for the venue, even though I'm kind of an audio snob, I didn't think the sound system was that bad. I was very impressed with the stadium and overall fan experience (a Sooner win would have made it much better).

One thing that was very noticeable was that they only showed instant replays on very obvious plays: outs, base hits, HRs, etc. They never once showed an instant replay on any of the controversial calls. Not once. It seemed very deliberate and bush league by the NCAA or whomever makes those calls.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    IMO, a group in OKC needs to put together the resources to start an expansion NFP team in OKC (I think when I last researched it was "only" 200K). The softball capital should have pro softball.
    I believe OKC could support an professional softball league. My daughter played a year of softball to try it out and I could not believe how popular it was and how intense it is. I saw seven year olds fielding from a tryout team and couldn't belive the level of talent.

Blog Entries

Post Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    IMO, a group in OKC needs to put together the resources to start an expansion NFP team in OKC (I think when I last researched it was "only" 200K). The softball capital should have pro softball.
    Good idea, our city would support a fast pitch team.

National Pro Fastpitch (formerly the Women's Pro Softball League, is a professional women's softball league in the United States. Each year, the playoff teams battle for the Cowles Cup. The WPSL was founded in 1997 and folded in 2001; the NPF revived the league in 2004.)

NPF https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...-launch-august

Ballpark at Rosemont (Chicago) seats 2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good idea, our city would support a fast pitch team.

National Pro Fastpitch (formerly the Women's Pro Softball League, is a professional women's softball league in the United States. Each year, the playoff teams battle for the Cowles Cup. The WPSL was founded in 1997 and folded in 2001; the NPF revived the league in 2004.)

NPF https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...-launch-august
    this leage may not exist in the future ... last season and this season were both cancled ...

and there are only 2 teams older that 4 years old ...

this is not something that needs to happen

Blog Entries

University of Oklahoma 6 - Florida State University 2

Championship Game tomorrow: 2 p.m.

Really fun series. The WCWS as a whole has been a huge success. According to ESPN PR, game 1 had the highest TV rating all-time for the WCWS with 1.86 million viewers, peaking at 2.2 million at one point. It drew more viewers than Game 5 of the NHL playoffs between Denver and Vegas.

^ It is great knowing that the WCWS game set viewership records for a WCWS game. To be fair though in comparing it to the NHL game you realize you are comparing the reach of ESPN to NBCSN, which is not comparable.

Oh yeah if the events swapped networks the ratings would be completely different. I'm just encouraged the ratings continue to increase and remain healthy for the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    ^ It is great knowing that the WCWS game set viewership records for a WCWS game. To be fair though in comparing it to the NHL game you realize you are comparing the reach of ESPN to NBCSN, which is not comparable.
    At the same time, there are good reasons one sport is on a popular sports network and the other is not.

Good time last night at the game They said the attendance was 12,121 I think. The shuttle from Remington Park was great going to the game. After the game it was long and the wait was 20 minutes which all makes sense given everyone parking there is spread out over an hour before the game and all leaving at once after the game. So more buses after the game would help. As far as the sound system it was good. I was first row upper deck behind the visitor bench and could hear everything however you had to pay attention to what was being said. It looked like all the speakers were in center field so I'm sure if you sitting out there it's Loud. Oh and get some kind of shade. 3rd base side is ok 1st base and outfield your baking to death. I don't think it would take much either at least for the first base side. A 10 foot high sign on top of the press box would help. I'll be interested to see if there is any shade at 2 today (not going) but will look on tv.

Tickets are dirt cheap for the game today on Stub Hub. $22-$30 for the cheapest. Unfortunately, I have to work, otherwise, I would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsteve View Post
    Reminds me of some of the past OU football teams that were a juggernaut on offense with first rounders and Heisman trophy winners and then fell completely flat when they made the playoffs or BCS championship games and faced someone with a good defense. This Softball team was being called one of the best ever with player of the year, freshman of the year, leading in all major offensive categories and one of the best defensive teams as well then plays an unseeded team and gets suffocated by a pitcher. Thankfully its double elimination or this would have been one of the most embarrassing and worst upsets in softball history. We still have a shot of course but our pitching makes me very nervous. The reason all the OU pitchers have such great records is because they simply blew everyone out. IÂ’m not giving up but this was a gut punch and now the losers bracket is very very difficult
    This aged well (couldn't resist).

Congrats Sooners!!! Was fun to follow them all year.

22. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Great game! It was a criminal act putting it at 2pm but fantastic work by the Sooner team!

Blog Entries

University of Oklahoma 5 - Florida State University 1

OU beat Florida State 5-1 to cap off their fifth Women’s College World Series championship

Oklahoman, June 10, 2021

Blog Entries

The 2019 edition of the Women’s College World Series set an all-time record for fan attendance, according to numbers confirmed by the NCAA.

A total of 78,361 fans watched the WCWS in-person at Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City, with an average of more than 8,700 fans in attendance per game. Hall of Fame Stadium’s official sell-out figure is 8,400.--https://justinsworldsb.com/womens-co...ndance-record/

Waiting on the new attendance figures which should exceed 120,000.

25. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

The number of fans that watched the 7 OU games should exceed the old record by itself.

Thread Information