Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by G22 View Post
    I just heard that Costco has signed a letter of intent to build a store in North Oklahoma City. Has anyone heard more details about this?
    Source?

2. Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

I just checked Costco's website, and they are opening one in October in Sioux Falls, SD....SIOUX FALLS!! Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I just checked Costco's website, and they are opening one in October in Sioux Falls, SD....SIOUX FALLS!! Good grief.
    I was in a good mood... & you just had to ruin it, didn't you?

South Dakota also has better liquor laws and less Wal-Mart saturation I am sure. I am sure those are the reasons they aren't yet in OKC. Regardless, I will be surprised if they aren't here within three years.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    South Dakota also has better liquor laws and less Wal-Mart saturation I am sure. I am sure those are the reasons they aren't yet in OKC. Regardless, I will be surprised if they aren't here within three years.
    Just out of curiosity, do you go a day without posting about OK liquor laws, WalMart saturation or some other OKC deficiency?

I think the area North of Memorail and east of Penn would be a good location. I am not sure they would want to be that close to Target though.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I think the area North of Memorail and east of Penn would be a good location. I am not sure they would want to be that close to Target though.
    I wonder? It seems to me that those who have the most competitive pricing like to build really close to their competitors.

How about further out west on Memorial? Or NW Expressway?

The SE/C of Memorial and May would be a good location. I wish they would buy out Gatti Town/Life Church and redo the space over there. That would certainly mean the end for that Homeland next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you go a day without posting about OK liquor laws, WalMart saturation or some other OKC deficiency?
    Well, it's unfortunately true what he says.

When discussing retail you can't help but mention those deficiencies. If draconian liquor laws and a Wal-Mart almost every few square miles aren't problems, then why else would stores like Costco or mid-level grocery chains pass this city up for so long? Costco isn't Nordstrom. They don't require the same packed density of high-income homes within a specific radius that upscale retail does.

I also said I will be surprised if Costco ISN'T here within three years even without a liquor law change. OKC is growing and changing and more companies may be willing to take a risk in this market they previously would not have taken.

When discussing retail you can't help but mention those deficiencies. If draconian liquor laws and a Wal-Mart almost every few square miles aren't problems, then why else would stores like Costco or mid-level grocery chains pass this city up for so long? Costco isn't Nordstrom. They don't require the same packed density of high-income homes within a specific radius that upscale retail does.

I also said I will be surprised if Costco ISN'T here within three years even without a liquor law change. OKC is growing and changing and more companies may be willing to take a risk in this market they previously would not have taken.
    I hate our liquor laws, but...

Pennsylvania Costcos:
    Costco - Cranberry Township 1050 Cranberry Square Drive (724) 778-6303
    Costco - Harrisburg 5125 Jonestown Road Suite 221 (717) 412-2053
    Costco - King of Prussia 201 Allendale Road (610) 337-6601
    Costco - Lancaster 1875 Hempstead Road (717) 396-8460
    Costco - Montgomeryville in North Wales 740 Upper State Road (215) 353-4153
    Costco - Robinson in Pittsburgh 202 Costco Drive (412) 490-2204
    Costco - Sanatoga in Pottstown 14 West Lightcap Road (610) 569-4137
    Costco - Bucks County in Warminster 100 Veterans Way (215) 347-1950
    Costco - West Homestead 501 W Waterfront Dr (412) 205-1002

Pennsylvania liquor laws (and you thought we had it bad):
    Pennsylvania is an alcoholic beverage control state. Wine and spirits are to be sold only in the state owned Wine And Spirits shops, where all prices must remain the same throughout the state (county sales tax may cause the price to differ slightly). People under the age of 21 are allowed to enter Wine and Spirits shops, contrary to popular belief - but only if accompanied by a parent or guardian. The standard business hours for these stores are 9am to 9pm Monday through Saturday with only a hand full of stores open to 10pm such as Franklin Mills (Philadelphia) or Freeport Road (Pittsburgh). Previously, all state-controlled stores were closed on Sundays, but now certain locations are open. Searches for store locations, hours and phone numbers are available on the PLCB web site. Wineries are common throughout the commonwealth, and often sell their wines at storefronts in shopping malls, and persons under the age of 21 are permitted to enter these establishments. Wine was available for a short time in supermarket kiosks, but this practice has ended.[1][2]Beer may only be purchased from a restaurant, bar, licensed beer store, or distributor. Beer distributors mainly sell cases and kegs of beer, not smaller volumes of beer such as six packs. Six and twelve packs, along with individual bottles such as 40 ounce or 24 ounce beers, are sold at bars, restaurants, and licensed retailers. A licensee can sell up to 192 fluid ounces of beer per purchase. For larger quantities one must go to a beverage distributor which sells beer only by the case or keg. Beverage distributors (which also sell soft drinks) may sell beer and malt liquor, but not wine or hard liquor. Unlike the Wine and Spirits shops, people under 21 may enter most beverage distributors without an adult, since most distributors also sell water, soda, ice, and some snack foods. They are subject to the rules of the individual establishment.
    Some supermarkets, including Wegmans, Giant Eagle, Giant, and Weis, have begun to sell alcohol within restaurants attached to the main supermarket building, but only under very specific conditions (the restaurant must have a defined separation from the rest of the supermarket, a separate cashier, and seating for at least 30 patrons). Supermarket chain ShopRite has begun to attach Wine and Spirits stores to its stores. For a time, Sheetz obtained a liquor license for a restaurant attached to one of its convenience stores in Altoona.[3] After several debates, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania ruled that the store must sell beer to in-house customers as well as take-out.[4] The 17th Street store now again sells beer and allows limited in store consumption.[5]

The SE/C of Memorial and May would be a good location. I wish they would buy out Gatti Town/Life Church and redo the space over there. That would certainly mean the end for that Homeland next door.
    I have a 3 year old son and he would be very sad to see Gattitown gone. It's really a pretty nice indoor arcade. A great draw for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I have a 3 year old son and he would be very sad to see Gattitown gone. It's really a pretty nice indoor arcade. A great draw for kids.
    Keep in mind that "Main Event" which are very prevelant in the DFW area, are looking and scouting locations for the OKC metro area. Source was from the Dallas Morning News about 3 months ago. Also, in the Real Estate Section of the DO by Richard Mize stated the same thing. Very well run and clean entertainment centers. Another possiblity for OKC metro area!

For what it is worth - Jacksonville (a city similar in nearly every demographic to OKC) is getting our first Trader Joes.

http://jacksonville.com/business/201...sonville-beach

... draconian liquor laws and a Wal-Mart almost every few square miles ...
    Maybe, but I'm sure weary of the hyperbole.
    Your arguments have been countered many times. SoonerDave and JimKyle have both done a pretty good job of putting your "WalMart ruined OKC" to rest and many other contributors have noted that we are not alone in "draconian" (really? "draconian"? maybe backwards or old-fashioned, but I think draconian infers severe cuts to financial spending, or something like that) liquor laws and some of those less liquor-progressive states have some of the stores you lust after. I'm just saying that I often read the post before I see who wrote it and I can almost ALWAYS peg you (backwards liquor laws, many WalMarts, and it was better in Charlotte and Little Rock), Plutonic Panda (more flyovers, wider highways and Miley Cyrus makes my junk wiggle), and others. Really, I agree with your ideas somewhat, but feel like I bought an anti-Oklahoma-fact-a-day calendar when I read your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Keep in mind that "Main Event" which are very prevelant in the DFW area, are looking and scouting locations for the OKC metro area. Source was from the Dallas Morning News about 3 months ago. Also, in the Real Estate Section of the DO by Richard Mize stated the same thing. Very well run and clean entertainment centers. Another possiblity for OKC metro area!
    Now that would be pretty cool. I could see one going in the Norman area or perhaps over by the outlet mall. It would be nice to see one somewhere near I-35 and 33rd st. in Edmond.

Maybe, but I'm sure weary of the hyperbole.
    Your arguments have been countered many times. SoonerDave and JimKyle have both done a pretty good job of putting your "WalMart ruined OKC" to rest and many other contributors have noted that we are not alone in "draconian" (really? "draconian"? maybe backwards or old-fashioned, but I think draconian infers severe cuts to financial spending, or something like that) liquor laws and some of those less liquor-progressive states have some of the stores you lust after. I'm just saying that I often read the post before I see who wrote it and I can almost ALWAYS peg you (backwards liquor laws, many WalMarts, and it was better in Charlotte and Little Rock), Plutonic Panda (more flyovers, wider highways and Miley Cyrus makes my junk wiggle), and others. Really, I agree with your ideas somewhat, but feel like I bought an anti-Oklahoma-fact-a-day calendar when I read your posts.
    Oh boy, I really started something, didn't I. . .

Wasn't there a big box mall proposed at Memorial and Santa Fe planned around a Main Event before the economy cratered.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Wasn't there a big box mall proposed at Memorial and Santa Fe planned around a Main Event before the economy cratered.
    I believe that is correct. ME was to have been one of the anchor tenants along with a Lego land theme area. When the economy soured so did this development.

I Was thinking since okc already has a Nordstrom and Saks outlet why not have a neiman Marcus outlet? I'd love to get some decently priced Marcus clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    I hate our liquor laws, but...

Pennsylvania Costcos:
    Costco - Cranberry Township 1050 Cranberry Square Drive (724) 778-6303
    Costco - Harrisburg 5125 Jonestown Road Suite 221 (717) 412-2053
    Costco - King of Prussia 201 Allendale Road (610) 337-6601
    Costco - Lancaster 1875 Hempstead Road (717) 396-8460
    Costco - Montgomeryville in North Wales 740 Upper State Road (215) 353-4153
    Costco - Robinson in Pittsburgh 202 Costco Drive (412) 490-2204
    Costco - Sanatoga in Pottstown 14 West Lightcap Road (610) 569-4137
    Costco - Bucks County in Warminster 100 Veterans Way (215) 347-1950
    Costco - West Homestead 501 W Waterfront Dr (412) 205-1002

Pennsylvania liquor laws (and you thought we had it bad):
    So I wonder whats really keeping Costco and World Market out?

No, wonder, the median income in Sioux Falls is nearly $8,000 higher. Per capita income is also higher in Sioux Falls. Having 3 Wal-Marts didn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I don't think you will have anything to worry about. If Costco were to build on NW Expressway it would probably be closer to the Kilpatrick. If Warr Acres was an chosen they would likely build behind Golden Corral or take the spot Hemisphere's is moving out of. That old Walmart store and the property for that matter is not exactly prime real estate. If you remember, it sat vacant for several years before Incredible Pizza moved into it. For Costco to build there, they would probably want to buy, the Homeland store, the gas station and the Whataburger instead.

On a side note: I do expect Whataburger to move at some point because that old Burger King has to be showing it's age.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    So I wonder whats really keeping Costco and World Market out?
    I don't know. I used to think it was the liquor laws that kept out Whole Foods too, but again, there are eight of them in PA. I spent a year up there, and talked to a lot of folks who all hated it, but they have some great chains - Wegmans, Giant, Whole Foods, Costco, etc., that manage to operate just fine with the goofy laws.

As a bonus, I went into a Walmart only one time the whole year.

Thread Information