Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

1. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

People have short memories. Thousands of passengers are flying everyday on lightly tweaked versions of the same Boeing 737 MAX jets that killed over 300 passengers in 2018 and 2019. And people still build and buy homes in Moore despite its recent history as central Oklahoma's tornado magnet. By the time the Canton gets rebuilt (almost certainly renamed and with some cosmetic exterior changes) people will lease the apartments if the rent is competitive and the surrounding area retains its appeal. If the Canton had been full of tenants or if there had been fatalities, perhaps renters might stay away. But my hunch is that the fire will be ancient history in a couple of years.

Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by WileyPostage View Post
    People have short memories. Thousands of passengers are flying everyday on lightly tweaked versions of the same Boeing 737 MAX jets that killed over 300 passengers in 2018 and 2019. And people still build and buy homes in Moore despite its recent history as central Oklahoma's tornado magnet. By the time the Canton gets rebuilt (almost certainly renamed and with some cosmetic exterior changes) people will lease the apartments if the rent is competitive and the surrounding area retains its appeal. If the Canton had been full of tenants or if there had been fatalities, perhaps renters might stay away. But my hunch is that the fire will be ancient history in a couple of years.
    Yeah the building will be completely gone in a week or two. There will people who never even knew it caught fire and was completely destroyed. Anyone remember the huge Edmond apartment fire complex several years ago?

So, did I miss the uninformed consensus opinion as to the cause of this building's demise? We accept more rabbit hole fodder?

Quote Originally Posted by soonergooner View Post
    So, did I miss the uninformed consensus opinion as to the cause of this building's demise? We accept more rabbit hole fodder?
    The owners told me they still don't know and might never.

Has there been any correction by the leasing company refuting earlier reporting of 1 lease agreement and 12 applications?

As was previously reported here, story in the DOK today about the Ellison closing for the foreseeable future. The article stated that they were going to be paying their staff during the closure. Pretty sad deal but at least the employees will not be losing their jobs. OTOH, it's one thing to receive base pay, but bartenders and servers make most of their money in tips, so not sure what that will look like for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    When we built 15 years ago, we looked at a residential system. I was shocked that I did not get any insurance discount for having one. Had I gotten a discount...we would have one.
    Not that shocking. I've seen more homes damaged by sprinklers leaking creating insurance claims than I've seen structures saved from a fire.

Blog Entries

Just can't imagine what the costs of insurance premiums will be if and when this development is rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Just can't imagine what the costs of insurance premiums will be if and when this development is rebuilt.
    not any more then they were the first time

Its quite clear people do not understand the differences between builders risk insurance and regular property insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The insurer will likely submit this to their reinsurer.

Someone with a good knowledge of code can answer, but it seems to me that only having 3 stairwells for a building that size would have been an issue if it had been occupied when the fire occurred.

13. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Someone with a good knowledge of code can answer, but it seems to me that only having 3 stairwells for a building that size would have been an issue if it had been occupied when the fire occurred.
    The three stairwells weren't the only stairs. Each wing also connected to the parking garage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    As was previously reported here, story in the DOK today about the Ellison closing for the foreseeable future. The article stated that they were going to be paying their staff during the closure. Pretty sad deal but at least the employees will not be losing their jobs. OTOH, it's one thing to receive base pay, but bartenders and servers make most of their money in tips, so not sure what that will look like for them.
    Likely they had Business Income Continuance insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Likely they had Business Income Continuance insurance.
    Your comment got me to wondering how they will establish monthly business income since they were barely open? Insurance was pretty picky about that when I had a claim 12-15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Don't the developers also find ways to classify this style of development as residential rather than commercial which lets them get away with less stairwells, less steel framing, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Don't the developers also find ways to classify this style of development as residential rather than commercial which lets them get away with less stairwells, less steel framing, etc.?
    Developers cant magically call a structure something that gets them out of certain fire safety measures. Any structure, according to its size and use, have to follow whatever edition of the International Building Code that the respective municipality is following. The number of stairwells and other safety features will be determined by the occupancy loads, egress distances, and a host of other factors. 3 stairwells in addition to what the parking garage had would have been plenty. This isnt an arena with 8,000 people, only about 600-700 people would have been residing here and you can guarantee that not all of them would be there at the same time.

If this had been occupied at the time of the fire, I would bet a lot of money that no one would have died.

Really weird to imagine an apartment complex being classified as residential, what a twist. Clearly it must mean something nefarious.

Drove by the property today and from what I could tell there's just one pile of rubble left and not a very big pile.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Not how it works at all.

I haven't been by there since the fire. Is it just the concrete slab and some elevator shafts now? Or is it entirely torn up to the dirt?

Just the concrete foundation and elevator or stairwell columns are still standing and of course the parking garage. But they've made big progress!

I wonder when we'll find out their plans for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I wonder when we'll find out their plans for the site.
    I know a guy doing some bid work on the new building right now. It’s the exact same bid requirements as the last project.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean21 View Post
    I know a guy doing some bid work on the new building right now. It’s the exact same bid requirements as the last project.
    Cool! Then, I'm guessing they aren't changing the plans any. If they don't have to rebuild the parking garage and stairwells, that'll help save some money

Thread Information