1. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by elitespy View Post
    When we play Tulsa.
    I can't wait.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, they are different.

Come from the international game. If you ever went to see a match in England you'd be shocked... Way, way worse than any American sporting event.
    I was in Buenos Aires at the time of their big match with Rio a couple of years ago. If we think there is violence and profanity in the NFL, one should experience this match, or practically any high level is South America. WOW. Not even close...we are amateurs here.

3. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I wish there was a way that everyone who doesn't know them could see lyrics or something.
    The grid posted some of the lyrics on their facebook page, I think they may have some on their website too.

The Grid

4. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

The grid posted some of the lyrics on their facebook page, I think they may have some on their website too.

The Grid
    They should pass some out at the game. That kinda sounds stupid, but I bet people would appreciate it.

Some of the fields in other countries have fences that look more home to a prison than at a pro stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    They should pass some out at the game. That kinda sounds stupid, but I bet people would appreciate it.
    i'm pretty sure this is common practice at some stadiums, so not stupid at all, good idea

I always wondered how fans in England come up with and learn their songs.

And I later figured out it all happens in the pub. I went to watch an Arsenal away match at a pub near their ground in North London and became aware of the process. There are a handful of known leaders within the ranks of the hard-core supporters (every club has super gung-ho fans that take up residence behind one of the goals) and they come up with stuff then it gets spread at the pub and everyone else picks up on it in the stands.

8. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

I've learned all the chants I know from Skinny Slims and the soccer crowd that goes there, so I can see how that is true.

In England, there is a subset of fans that travel to the away games; usually only a few thousand people.

Most of them take the train and get to know each other pretty well.

These are the hard-core among the hard-core. And often, a pretty tough crowd.

I've told this story many times, but it's one of my favorites...

That Arsenal away match I saw at the North London pub was a number of years ago, as I was there visiting friends; mainly Liverpool supporters who didn't care to watch Arsenal, and the game was only broadcast via PPV.

I had seen Arsenal play a few times and had been in this particular pub before and after home matches. But as I walked from the Tube station that dark winter's night, the crowd-less, narrow streets looked way scarier than previously observed.

I walked into the pub and immediately felt out of place. It was a rough gathering; lots of shaved heads and neck tattoos and they all seemed to know each other, which meant they knew I didn't belong.

As I stood in line for my pint before the match kicked off, out of the corner of my darting eyes I could see a particularly menacing character staring holes in me from behind. When I ordered in my American accent, several others turned to look and I was now full-on frightened.

Quickly, I turned to the guy behind me and said, "Have you heard who is in the team tonight? Is Henry good to go?" He looked me up and down as if to say: What do you know about it?? But then realized I knew what I was talking about and not just a flighty American interloper, so we chatted a bit about the lineup. After a few minutes he said, "You here on your own?" And I almost lied because I still felt like I could get a good thumping at any time. When I did acknowledge that was the case he said, "Right. You're with us."

He then took me over to his table of mates, introduced me around and they bought me pints all night. Fortunately, I knew as much about the team as they did and that earned their respect. Good thing, because they all looked exactly like the type you'd least like to encounter in a dark alley. Even the women.

Listening to them talk, I realized they were a big part of the group that traveled. Their whole lives seemed to revolve around the club; many traveled far distances even for mid-week games. The game that Wednesday night was in Spain, otherwise I'm sure most would have attended in person.

And while I was there, they were talking about some new songs.

Sadly, Arsenal will not be playing when I go to London. I still plan on going to Emirates Stadium, but I'd much rather be there to watch a match. I'm taking my football gear with me, so I do at least hope to play football with some Londoners.

11. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

I plan on making a trip to Upton Park to watch my Hammers play before they move to the Olympic Stadium in a couple of years, hopefully I will be going next year.

I've been to Arsenal several times, Anfield (against Man U!), Loftus Road (Queens Park Rangers v. Sheffield United) and Valley Parade (Bradford City v. Newcastle).

Every season there are a number of people who attempt to see a match at every ground in the first few divisions of English football; have to map it out carefully to make sure to get them all in. I always thought that would be incredible fun (but also a 9-month commitment).

The Grid
    There was also a tweeted they are wanting to get together before the next game to 'get on the same page' with them

@TheGridOKC

14. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

My co-worker told me that a lady at his softball game last night said she wasn't going to take her kids back to an Energy game because of the language, oh well.

My co-worker told me that a lady at his softball game last night said she wasn't going to take her kids back to an Energy game because of the language, oh well.
    It's pro sports, what do they expect.

I'll have my 3.5 year old daughter with me at a couple of games my wife can't make. I can't shelter her from bad words forever.

16. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    It's pro sports, what do they expect.

I'll have my 3.5 year old daughter with me at a couple of games my wife can't make. I can't shelter her from bad words forever.
    I have an almost two year old and that is exactly how I feel about it, can't protect them from everything. Foul language is the least of the problems out there IMO.

People have no morals , if you see that there is a young child within distance of your cursing mouth and you still do it, I gotta ask what else are you capable of. It's actually quite disgusting that people don't have any kind of control and that parents today just shrugg it off as oh well what can I do about it..... Your raising the next generation of desensitized youth were nothing is sacred anymore. If you were at a resturant and someone behind you was acting that way would there be a problem? Of course so don't blame it on pro sports that's almost mob rule mentality

18. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    People have no morals , if you see that there is a young child within distance of your cursing mouth and you still do it, I gotta ask what else are you capable of. It's actually quite disgusting that people don't have any kind of control and that parents today just shrugg it off as oh well what can I do about it..... Your raising the next generation of desensitized youth were nothing is sacred anymore. If you were at a resturant and someone behind you was acting that way would there be a problem? Of course so don't blame it on pro sports that's almost mob rule mentality
    If they get offended at the soccer game that is their own fault, there are multiple signs before walking up the bleachers into the Fan Zone and even in the ENERGY FAQ on their website it says that there will be cursing there in the Fan Zone. If you bring a kid there you are well aware of what is going will be said.

HAHAHAH the irony...

If they get offended at the soccer game that is their own fault, there are multiple signs before walking up the bleachers into the Fan Zone and even in the ENERGY FAQ on their website it says that there will be cursing there in the Fan Zone. If you bring a kid there you are well aware of what is going will be said.

Energy FC is proud to support the family-friendly environment at Pribil Stadium on the campus of Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School. As such will not serve alcohol on stadium grounds during matches.

This is the only thing I found under FAQ, nothing about a fan zone that you can act like an idiot in.

Get the F outta here, seriously

It's not like everyone is just letting it fly with cursing and vulgar behavior, I've been at sporting events where the mob is actually people who stand up against that and handle it, like they should. I think what we're talking about here is the occasional slip of the tongue in the heat of the game (outside of the advertised Fan Zone where it's says not for all ages).

The blip about the Fan Zone I can't find either, but it was definitely in the email sent to me last week.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Get the F outta here, seriously

It's not like everyone is just letting it fly with cursing and vulgar behavior, I've been at sporting events where the mob is actually people who stand up against that and handle it, like they should. I think what we're talking about here is the occasional slip of the tongue in the heat of the game (outside of the advertised Fan Zone where it's says not for all ages).

The blip about the Fan Zone I can't find either, but it was definitely in the email sent to me last week.
    It only says family friendly environment , I'm no prude but for crying out loud when you have to designate specific areas for people , your just opening up a can of worms. And better yet knowing it and still taking a child into is bad parenting. That's just MO

Energy FC is proud to support the family-friendly environment at Pribil Stadium on the campus of Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School. As such will not serve alcohol on stadium grounds during matches.

This is the only thing I found under FAQ, nothing about a fan zone that you can act like an idiot in.
    "Who can sit in the Fan Zone at the North End of the stadium?
    OKC Energy FC encourages only the most spirited fans to sit in the Fan Zone at the north end of the stadium. The Supporters Clubs of OKC Energy FC are encouraged to make noise, sing chants, wave flags and generally have fun during the entire match. A word of warning. Sitting in the Fan Zone is not for the faint of heart. Fans sitting in the Fan Zone do risk hearing "colorful" language during the match."

Plus at least for a while, didn't you have to go through their fan group, The Grid, to purchase tickets there.

It only says family friendly environment , I'm no prude but for crying out loud when you have to designate specific areas for people , your just opening up a can of worms. And better yet knowing it and still taking a child into is bad parenting. That's just MO
    For the record, my wife and I don't sit in the Fan Zone, and ultimately didn't purchase our season tickets there because we knew we would take our girl a few times. It's not that designated a cursing area, they are appropriately warning folks that it could get rowdy there.

There are a list of chants on The Grid website. I believe two of the chants have an instance of the F word. The Energy knew this and gave a fair warning.

The amount of time it took for that word to be said in the two chants took 2 seconds. For the duration of the two hour match, 2 seconds were filled with vulgarity. You act as though the entire section said every swear word under the sun, non-stop, in hopes of destroying civilization. Calm down. It's in good fun.

Thread Information