Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: REHCO / Former Downtown Ford site

1. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

There are a lot of variables that make for a good convention center, but that's just the clearest and most basic answer that answers your question, I think.

Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Do any of us actually think that Okc will have a multi level convention center?

I am sure that Okc will do what it does best, sprawl everything outward not upward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    The lot the Cox sits on in only 670,000 sq feet. The only way the claim the Cox has a million sq feet of floor space is if they count the underground parking deck, the main level (including the arena floor) and the second floor. The footprint of Cox is not 1 million sq ft. As near as I can tell the footprint of the Cox is less than 450,000 sq feet. ...
    That may be the case, here is what the Chamber's report stated:
    2nd line = Cox
    3rd line = Phase 1 (MAPS 3)
    4th line = Phase 2 (future expansion)

On the surface it would seem like you should be able to get roughly half the building sf in the same footprint??

Prime Exhibit Space
    81,500 sf
    200,000 sf
    300,000 sf

Meeting Space
    28,600 sf
    50,000 sf
    75,000 sf

Ballroom/Multi-use Space
    25,000 sf
    35,000 sf
    50,000 sf

Total Sellable Space
    153,600 sf
    285,000 sf
    425,000 sf

Total Building Space
    1,000,000 sf
    570,000 sf
    850,000 sf

It seems that it is the arena that causes the numbers to be off. The arena floor is only 36,000 sq feet but by the time you add floor space for seats concessions and bathrooms it pushes the Cox to 1,000,000 sq feet without any addition to the exhibition space. This is probably why there will not a be an arena in the new Convention Center.

I suspect at some point in the next 10 to 12 years OKC will need a new 'basketball specific' arena and at that point you will see the Cox torn down and the new arena built there. This probably explains why some people want the Convention Center built first. This will allow the Cox to sit empty for 2 or 3 years which will make it an easier to sell to the Citizens to tear it down and replace it.

5. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

The Cox Arena seating is stacked...not layered...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The Cox Arena seating is stacked...not layered...
    How far is it horizontally from the front row seats to the seats in the last row? That is where the 'missing' sq footage is.

I am all for getting rid of the Cox superblock but that won't solve any of the problems created by a new super block on the Ford site. There will still be no thru traffic. Everyone going into or out of downtown will have to make atleast one left or right turn. It will be a traffic disaster. The city needs to be working to restore the grid, not making it worse. If they keep closing all the streets the new Blvd will need to be 6 lanes wide, and so will Shields.
    You only will close 2 streets: Harvey (which is already blocked north of Reno at Myriad Gardens) and SW 2 (which is blocked at Robinson by the Ford Center). Robinson and Hudson remain the way they are but with a more pedestrian-oriented intersection/streetscape where they intersect with Reno.

The new convention hotel could then be built at the NE corner of Reno & Robinson once the Cox is demolished. That entire stretch of Robinson between Reno and Sheridan could have tall buildings facing the gardens. That is where the real mixed-use development would go sandwiched in between the gardens to the west, CBD to the north, convention center/Ford Center to the south, and the multi-modal transportation center/Bricktown to the east. It could be a very high density/mixed-use area that takes advantage of the main thoroughfares already downtown: Broadway, Robinson, Sheridan, Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    You only will close 2 streets: Harvey (which is already blocked north of Reno at Myriad Gardens) and SW 2 (which is blocked at Robinson by the Ford Center). Robinson and Hudson remain the way they are but with a more pedestrian-oriented intersection/streetscape where they intersect with Reno.
    They will also need to close Hudson. Depending how the alignment of the new Blvd is done 2nd doesn't have to be closed either. Once Prominade Park goes in they are going to have close even more streets. Someone with the City needs to start ensuring that traffic can flow with all the these street closings.

They will also need to close Hudson. Depending how the alignment of the new Blvd is done 2nd doesn't have to be closed either. Once Prominade Park goes in they are going to have close even more streets. Someone with the City needs to start ensuring that traffic can flow with all the these street closings.
    Why would you have to close Hudson? You could likely fit the entire program of the convention center onto the site bordered by Reno, the blvd, Robinson and Hudson. If you absolutely had to have the extra space west of Hudson why not a skybridge like the Washington DC convention center?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Why would you have to close Hudson? You could likely fit the entire program of the convention center onto the site bordered by Reno, the blvd, Robinson and Hudson. If you absolutely had to have the extra space west of Hudson why not a skybridge like the Washington DC convention center?
    Now imagine walking through that to get from the Myriad Park to the Central Park.

Now imagine walking through that to get from the Myriad Park to the Central Park.
    that is why this is a horrible site for the new convention center

The Dallas Convention Center has two major streets and a DART line running beneath it. So it is possible to integrate a huge convention center into a street grid. With that said, it does back up to an interstate and rail line so its impact on the downtown core is minimal.

We are trying to squeeze ours in between two parks and an iconic boulevard.

No, thats just one unmentioned possibility of about 3 mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    No, thats just one unmentioned possibility of about 3 mentioned.
    Well, someone is trying to. It is on a list of only 3 locations.

I know a lot of business owners in Bricktown I attend all the COC functions. All I here is they do not want the Mill Sight.. It still might go there and if it does Great!!! This conversation will finally be over in 2-3 months.. Speculation is fun!! Still think they need to close SW 2 nd street between Walker and Hudson nobody ever uses it..

Quote Originally Posted by Reno and Walker View Post
    Still think they need to close SW 2 nd street between Walker and Hudson nobody ever uses it..
    They will with 6 sq blocks of retail and residential there.

Okay - I am done discussing the Ford site being a potential Convention Center location. Based on the criteria being used to located the CC the Ford site is a dead end.

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/file-108-.pdf

I don't know when this happened, but they have already demolished one of the buildings (the northern most) on the Ford site and appear to be moving quickly to the others.

Demo of the Ford site makes it seem there is a timeline at work here. I drove past there yesterday and wondered, what's the rush?? Maybe an announcement is nearing...

I don't think we will hear an announcement until after they select CC site, however,they can still announce proposals/plans for the property, if that site is not selected for CC, I guess we will know soon...

The Ford site would be perfect for a highrise hotel. It could be the CC hotel that is not connected but close. Whatever they decide to build there lets hope it's a high rise.

Yes, that property has potential, and mixed-use would be the way to go, why limit yourself to one market. A high-rise with a hotel and residences would work, with retail at ground level....

Yeah, but not really any new news in the article.

Thread Information