Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Guyutes

Default Re: Guyutes

I know Janis Powers has been on that PC for at least 7 years.

It may be time for some new blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I know Janis Powers has been on that PC for at least 7 years.

It may be time for some new blood.
    Petition for removal?

3. Default Re: Guyutes

Kickstarter

This is set to go back before the Planning Commission this Thursday (May 22nd).

Where we last left this was the PC insisting the owners come back with a PUD application that would limit their hours (and also require significant additional expense just to go through this process).

I've learned the Guyutes group has decided against filing a PUD, and expect the PC will not grant their endorsement for a liquor license.

So almost certainly, this will head to the City Council without that endorsement and the proprietors will ask the Council to approve anyway. The Planning Commission only makes a recommendation; the City Council has final vote.

This is a bold move but I think it's a good one for future urban development in OKC.

As has been discussed, the PC is requiring them to limit their operating hours, even though there are already laws that limit times of operation and noise levels. In the agenda for this coming meeting, there are only two letters of protest.

The Planning Commission started down a dangerous path with the live music venue, effectively stopping them in their tracks even though they had met all municipal requirements. Here again, they seek to place arbitrary restrictions on a business and I hope the Council not only passes grants the license, but also takes a harder look at how the PC is choosing to operate.

Can/should people show up at the planning commission to voice their opinion?

They can but I think it's a foregone conclusion of the way this is going to go down.

When it gets on the City Council agenda, I think that will be the time for people to mobilize and contact their councilperson, and possibly attend the meeting.

It is a bold move Pete, and a dang appropriate one. My only potential disagreement is even if it is a foregone conclusion, as much support as this place had earlier, I think it does carry a statement forward if there are folks present to support the establishment being allowed to go forward under the existing laws. Just one person's opinion to add to the mix.

Not sure why, by the Guyutes people asked for a continuance to June 12th, so their case wasn't heard at today's Planning Commission.

I was mistaken about the last Planning Commission meeting... The Guyutes group presented and was turned down a 3rd time in their attempt to get the endorsement for an ABC-2 permit.

So, this goes to City Council on July 1st.

They've already spoken to Meg Salyer and she is supportive. However, there are two things people can do if they wish to help:

1. Speak to your councilperson. The Council holds all the authority to approve or disapprove the license, so all they need is a simple majority. Hard to say how this will go, but it would be helpful to call or write your representative and let them know that this is a group of young guys with hundreds of thousands invested and they merely want to redevelop a long-vacant and blighted building to a first-class restaurant and bar... And are more than willing to abide by all the existing laws and ordinances. The Planning Council wanted them to voluntarily restrict their hours but that is directly contrary to their business model with is to offer good food even late at night. Also, they have procured dedicated parking even though that is not required by code in the Uptown district.

2. Attend the meeting on July 1st. It would be very powerful for a couple of people to speak in support who are not affiliated with the owners in any way. Basically, speak for all the citizens who want cool places that stay open late in our urban districts.

If you do speak with your concilperson, please let me know the feedback so I can in turn pass that on to the proprietors. It would be most helpful to them to know what the concerns may be in advance so they can be prepared.

I don't have a Council person since I live in Edmond. Is there anything I can do? I guess I could say I live in along 23rd or perhaps write to the council person in that district and tell them I plan on moving there in a year specifically because I want to be close to establishments like this one.

1. so do you need 4 or 5 votes for this to pass?
    2. since this is in Salyer's Ward, does she get an extra pull with the other councilpeople? does her vote count more?
    3. this really pisses me off what the planning commission is trying to pull. what is their beef?

You need the majority of votes of members present. And to have a quorum, they have to have at least half the members at the meeting.

So, the majority of those in attendance is needed but you don't know the exact number until the meeting.

Meg Salyer just gets the one vote and while she is supportive, she might not be super outspoken given that some of her constituents object.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    1. so do you need 4 or 5 votes for this to pass?
    2. since this is in Salyer's Ward, does she get an extra pull with the other councilpeople? does her vote count more?
    3. this really pisses me off what the planning commission is trying to pull. what is their beef?
    Generally the council will follow the vote of the ward councilor in this type of case (even more so when the request is not controversial)

FYI, this item is actually on the agenda for the June 10th City Council meeting.

Tuesday, 8:30AM City Council Chambers, City Hall.

The Guyutes guys didn't even know until I called them.

FYI, this item is actually on the agenda for the June 10th City Council meeting.

Tuesday, 8:30AM City Council Chambers, City Hall.

The Guyutes guys didn't even know until I called them.
    Won't be able to attend, but will write a letter to my council person.

It now looks like the meeting tomorrow will just be a preliminary review.

I'm not understanding the process here.

Random guess here, but maybe the council understands that the issue at hand is larger than just a yay or nay on this specific proposal and are taking their time to look into the Planning Commission's overreach?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I meant to watch the council meeting stream yesterday but ended up unable fit it into my schedule, did anything significant come up in the preliminary review?

19. Default Re: Guyutes

City Council will hold a public hearing on establishing an ABC-2 Alcoholic Beverage Permit on July 1 @ 8:30 A.M. Third Floor, Municipal Building, 200 N. Walker Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I meant to watch the council meeting stream yesterday but ended up unable fit it into my schedule, did anything significant come up in the preliminary review?
    No -- just preliminary stuff.

as wsucougz just posted they will present and they will be a vote at the June 1st council meeting.

as wsucougz just posted they will present and they will be a vote at the June 1st council meeting.
    June 1st is just the public hearing The final vote will be the following meeting

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    June 1st is just the public hearing The final vote will be the following meeting
    July 1st -- just to avoid confusion and miscommunication.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    July 1st -- just to avoid confusion and miscommunication.
    Yes, thanks.

This goes before the City Council tomorrow July 1st at 8:30AM.

The proprietors have reached out to all the council members and will be making a full presentation at the meeting.

Ben Felder (OKC Gazette) is reporting on Twitter that the Guyutes permit was unanimously approved by the City Council.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Ben Felder (OKC Gazette) is reporting on Twitter that the Guyutes permit was unanimously approved by the City Council.

HOORAY!!!

BUT, it shouldn't take four or five months of wrangling with the Planning Commission especially when they were seeking to impose needless restrictions.

That piece still needs to be fixed; they should not be serving as a barrier to those looking to responsibly invest in the central core.

Thread Information