Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    But still below the highest levels we've ever seen. The past 7-8 years have been remarkably consistent. One bigger year does not a trend make.

Chart VMT-421 ? Highway Statistics 2013 ? Office of Highway Policy Information (OHPI) ? FHWA
    it doesn't matter. Last year, driving and dl issues went up as well. So now things are ticking upwards. That is my point.

Edit: my main point of the post was to get at true people who were posting driving was going down during the reccesion like that is some sort of surprise to anyone.

Blog Entries

Like most stats and trend analysis, context is crucial. How you frame context and what segment of data you tend to use can completely change the conclusion reached. Like most information, it is important to look objectively and not just look for that which fits your desire or preconceived notion.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Exactly this. It's as valid as saying "fewer people in Japan used public transit last year" and all of a sudden claiming that Japan hates their bullet trains. Makes zero sense. Just a disclaimer that I have no stats on this - and Japan's population has been declining for years, so I'm sure ridership is down. But I'm sure pulplan will interpret that his own way.
    ive already explained my reason for posting the link. If you're just mad or lack the competency to understand what I'm getting at, that is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Like most stats and trend analysis, context is crucial. How you frame context and what segment of data you tend to use can completely change the conclusion reached. Like most information, it is important to look objectively and not just look for that which fits your desire or preconceived notion.
    Rover, that is exactly why I posted it. Eventually, driving will probably go back down if we have a reccesion. I saw multiple points posted about how driving is going down and less drivers licenses are being issued in some of the suburban doom and gloom articles posted by the resident urbanist on here and I posted that just to be an ass and show that these things change. It isn't like I think the people who supported the articles a few years ago about driving trends didn't know that, so basically I posted that to be a d!ck. it apparently worked because a bunch of people now have their panties in a wad.

5. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    oh I don't know venture, maybe the fact that driving has a little to do with ODOT seeing that they will expand roads and highways when traffic counts go up. I just thought an article that has to do with driving might suit a thread all about driving.
    Ugh. Not worth the time anymore dealing with an entitled brat.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Ugh. Not worth the time anymore dealing with an entitled brat.
    Something interesting I've learned when people say things like that is that it often means they can't say anything to refute what I said because it was right. Whatever Venture. Hop back on your high horse and ride off into the sunset.

Something interesting I've learned when people say things like that is that it often means they can't say anything to refute what I said because it was right. Whatever Venture. Hop back on your high horse and ride off into the sunset.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not because you're right. Just read some of your posts above. Maybe get a good night's sleep, then read them and decide for yourself who's riding on their high horse (on in your case, probably not your high horse, but your high 20 lane elevated freeway running through downtown).

Lol

This is LOL funny to anyone that actually read the article and not just the headline.

According to the press release, the fact that miles driven went up for this first time in 6 years (these number are from 2013 BTW) it is proof that we must increase highway spending and support Obama's GROW AMERICA Act. If driving peaked in 2007 (BEFORE the great recession I might add), then why do we need to increase capacity now? I mean, shouldn't we wait to absorb the previous capacity that was vacated first? It's not like we just have extra money sitting around to pay for it or anything.

"Transportation is a critical engine of the nation's economy," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. "To prepare for the needs of the 21st century, Congress needs to pass the President's GROW AMERICA Act.
    Now if you support the taxes, accounting changes, and spending priorities of the GROW AMERICA Act then so be it. I suspect most people will like the spending, but not the taxes to pay for it - as usual.

I agree with your last part.

This is a pretty cool interchange

Does that have a connection to ODOT that I'm not getting?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    No, but don't you wish it did?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm saying this is something they should consider in their future designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    No, but don't you wish it did?
    I've heard they're looking at one for I-35 and Waterloo Road.

Until then I'll patiently await the day people can figure out the roundabout in front of McNellies.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    I've heard they're looking at one for I-35 and Waterloo Road.

Until then I'll patiently await the day people can figure out the roundabout in front of McNellies.
    I was at that roundabout the other day at evening rush hour, it seemed to me that most people (if not all) successfully navigated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I was at that roundabout the other day at evening rush hour, it seemed to me that most people (if not all) successfully navigated it.
    I drive through it 4 times a day. The success rate of surrounding drivers hovers at around 50%.

Failures are as follows:

Cars in the roundabout stopping to let entry cars in.
    Standoffs between adjacent entry vehicles; you go first, no you go first.
    Cars refusing to enter the roundabout when there are no vehicles in it.
    Cars not yielding to vehicles in the roundabout.
    Vehicles turning left and driving on the "collar".

The list goes on. I like the roundabout, but until people can figure out what a yield sign means and who they are yielding to, it won't be efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Cars in the roundabout stopping to let entry cars in.
    You see that far more frequently around here than just in a roundabout. People holding up traffic to let others in who distinctly do not have right-of-way is practically an Oklahoma tradition. It's polite I suppose, but it's also really, really annoying.

23. Default Re: Odot

I don't think there is any hope for people here to understand what the yield signs mean.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    you see that far more frequently around here than just in a roundabout. People holding up traffic to let others in who distinctly do not have right-of-way is practically an oklahoma tradition. It's polite i suppose, but it's also really, really dangerous.
    fify

I'm saying this is something they should consider in their future designs.
    DD's usually work well at heavily used intersections/interchanges. Since ODOT is just getting started with SPUI's, I would give them another 5-6 years to try one here.

Thread Information