Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

The big10 came out yesterday and said that they are content with their current teams. Everyone here assumes that these conferences will want to expand to 16 teams, but that may not be necessarily true anymore. Tramel had some interesting points on the radio yesterday. Basically said that conferences wanted to get to 16 teams during a time when we were trying to get a 4 team playoff going, i.e. different times different measures. The general thought is that conferences will not expand if it hurts revenue. The remaining big 12 teams, save Kansas, are going to dilute whatever major conferences the go to. When you take that in context with the big 10’s statement yesterday, the remaining big 12 teams are likely in for a world of hurt.

There’s a solid chance that the PAC end the big10 won’t expand. If that happens, the remaining teams may be best served holding the big 12 together and trying to poach some of the bigger teams from the AAC or other similar conferences. Things are going to get really interesting soon.

^

I suspect that will be the short-term solution.

3. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

ESPN is saying that OU and UT have formally requested admittance into the SEC beginning in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    The big10 came out yesterday and said that they are content with their current teams. Everyone here assumes that these conferences will want to expand to 16 teams, but that may not be necessarily true anymore. Tramel had some interesting points on the radio yesterday. Basically said that conferences wanted to get to 16 teams during a time when we were trying to get a 4 team playoff going, i.e. different times different measures. The general thought is that conferences will not expand if it hurts revenue. The remaining big 12 teams, save Kansas, are going to dilute whatever major conferences the go to. When you take that in context with the big 10’s statement yesterday, the remaining big 12 teams are likely in for a world of hurt.

There’s a solid chance that the PAC end the big10 won’t expand. If that happens, the remaining teams may be best served holding the big 12 together and trying to poach some of the bigger teams from the AAC or other similar conferences. Things are going to get really interesting soon.

The only added value i could see is from the Pac 12 being able to add an 11am game every saturday for football for the PAC channel. I believe CU has played a couple of home games at 10am to get into that first window. Maybe if OSU agrees to play every home game at 11am then the PAC might take them.

Look for a 14-0 vote in the not so distant future

If like 4 schools were left in the Big 12 would they collect the entirety of the pot that was put together in the original contract? Might be a silver lining for KSU types

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post

Do some of you all really still not understand the game after the last decade of this and other major sports moves? No one has changed conferences yet, nothing has been made official and just as the SEC has shown, conferences can’t appear to be publicly pursuing teams from other conferences due to legal ramifications. Of course that’s what the B1G is going to say RIGHT NOW. There has also been speculation that several B1G teams have been in contact with the SEC and Pac 12 teams have been in contact with the B1G. I would highly recommend taking any public statements made by the conferences with a grain of salt until everything is finalized.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Do some of you all really still not understand the game after the last decade of this and other major sports moves? No one has changed conferences yet, nothing has been made official and just as the SEC has shown, conferences can’t appear to be publicly pursuing teams from other conferences due to legal ramifications. Of course that’s what the B1G is going to say RIGHT NOW. There has also been speculation that several B1G teams have been in contact with the SEC and Pac 12 teams have been in contact with the B1G. I would highly recommend taking any public statements made by the conferences with a grain of salt until everything is finalized.
    unless teams can add actual monetary value .. and be a cultural and academic fit the PAC BIG and ACC are not going to expand

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    unless teams can add actual monetary value .. and be a cultural and academic fit the PAC BIG and ACC are not going to expand
    I just disagree. I think the product on the field/court and access to other recruiting/tv markets is going to drive this as well. It will eventually improve the watchability/marketability of conference games which will also increase revenue long term. That’s the only option they will have to grow aside from mergers or the other high revenue/blue blood type programs combine to form another super conference. The other groups aren’t going to sit still, especially based on academics, after the SEC does this. I just don’t think they can do so and remain competitive. You can guarantee that if everyone stays put and the other conferences don’t do something, the SEC will come for their good teams, offer way more revenue, and take them eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I'd think B1G would strongly consider bringing in UCONN and KU for their basketball programs.

11. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    ESPN is saying that OU and UT have formally requested admittance into the SEC beginning in 2025.
    They are both hoping the big12 fails before then so they can move with no monetary penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I'd think B1G would strongly consider bringing in UCONN and KU for their basketball programs.
    Uconn is not AAU so they are a non starter

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 12 Conference

Conferences like the PAC 12, BIG !0 and the ACC are going to be 'open' to consider membership expansion. So many universities left in the BIG 12 will be seeking membership in those conferences.

Will academic standing be part of the criteria for acceptance when you evaluate the total sports spectrum... The major concern for OSU seeking application in the PAC 12 will be time zone. Cowboys will be competitive in NCAA Division I Football; no doubt they couldn't hold their own.

14. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

There has been soooooo much speculation for so long that major college football would end up being 4, 16 team conferences that I find it hard to believe that won't come to fruition by 2025 no matter what conditions the conferences held to up til now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    If like 4 schools were left in the Big 12 would they collect the entirety of the pot that was put together in the original contract? Might be a silver lining for KSU types
    I'm guessing the contract demands a certain number of members, total games and specific membership by OU and Texas in order to collect max value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    There has been soooooo much speculation for so long that major college football would end up being 4, 16 team conferences that I find it hard to believe that won't come to fruition by 2025 no matter what conditions the conferences held to up til now.
    That was driven mainly by the 4-team playoff.

The playoff is now almost certain to grow to 8 or 12 teams, and I'm sure one of the big reasons OU doesn't mind the stiff competition.

Bob Stoops in his statement today, more or less says that OU tried to bring along OSU:

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/opin...ce/5390626001/

I think this statement by Stoops is trying to be the voice of OU, the olive branch so to speak, to console OSU in that they tried, but "the strongest conferences would not accept OU if we were to require OSU to join as well." The Joe's aren't going to come out and say anything to badmouth the SEC for not wanting OSU as they are going in.

IDK, it's not looking good for OSU. They have their work cutout and they need to focus full steam on their future.

Wow, and in other news, I just heard Trammel on WWLS says that a report out of Austin is that ESPN will buy out the Longhorn Network's contract and pay Texas a bunch of money to get out of it, and Texas will turn around with that money and pay that to the BigXII for the OU AND Texas buy-out and be done with the Big XII.

If that rings true.... MIND BLOWN.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That was driven mainly by the 4-team playoff.

The playoff is now almost certain to grow to 8 or 12 teams, and I'm sure one of the big reasons OU doesn't mind the stiff competition.
    But when?

Not 2021. I guess it could be 2022, but maybe we should wait for conference shake ups to... shake out...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    But when?

Not 2021. I guess it could be 2022, but maybe we should wait for conference shake ups to... shake out...
    It's almost certain to happen in the next few years.

Why wouldn't the SEC want OSU? I am not a native okie so I am unbiased.

OSU ranks just as well as A&M and Mizzou sports-wise and they were allowed in. Heck they are better than Arkansas. I say let them join.

Blog Entries

Just curious. Has anyone heard anything from Governor Stitt's office on this....

Blog Entries

He's in Azerbaijan...

23. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

OSU is something like the 15th winningest college sports program in the NCAA.

24. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    OSU is something like the 15th winningest college sports program in the NCAA.
    Oh, that explains why the Big Four conferences are all fighting over them.

25. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Just saying they aren't a sports cesspool with high school facilities. I doubt they'll be ignored.

Thread Information