Widgets Magazine
Page 115 of 486 FirstFirst ... 1565110111112113114115116117118119120165215 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 12127

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    The whole controversy was initiated by Devon--and the reasons were dubious. There are two possible explanations--incompetence or sleight of hand? Public relations dictates controlling the message, so which would anyone prefer? I doubt the former...their track record certainly does not lead in that direction. But--a few mind games that lead to even better reality than the expectation is a coup de grace. It is just a fascinating aspect of this monumental event. I am just not at all convinced one designs and finds a way to build a 925' Tower--then decides to lop off a chunk to lower expectations for no reason at all...unless it might be to create an aura of self-reliance and ingenuity to overcome all obstacles. And, surmount the problems--and come back even stronger. A fourth quarter comeback against the odds. Otherwise--their eyes were bigger than their stomachs when they made the big announcement in the beginning.
    They announced several months ago that they made the decision to move their data center off site, which reduced the stories by four. I do not see any incompetence or sleight of hand at all. Just a good business decision.

2. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    They announced several months ago that they made the decision to move their data center off site, which reduced the stories by four. I do not see any incompetence or sleight of hand at all. Just a good business decision.
    Not to mention it was also a good strategic decision. It's good for disaster recovery, not to mention if a routine power-down needs to be done on the building, there is little or no concern about whether the data center will be impacted.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

3. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

I agree, HotRod...I think they will build the same structure originally planned, advertising was my career and I think it would make a nice big impact to--later in the construction--"decide" to continue with the original design as a emphasis on future success, which I think they will have--given the natural gas business prospects in the coming decades. Clever idea. And a classic example of good PR. I like it. It will exceed 900 feet in height, maybe more...
    very good points, jmarkross.

also, I noticed the price of the construction budget did not change, despite the reduction of height and floors. .......

anyways, I hope (and believe) we are correct that the skyscraper will be of the original design (or even taller, might as well go for Oklahoma's ONLY supertall 300m building.....).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

4. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

knowing Devon and Nickels, he could build the tower to 300m (who in the city would object) and also build the data center (or an off-site data center/backup center) at the airport.

anyways, of course I (and jmarkross) are obviously speculating and very hypothetical at that..... , but given some of jm's insight into PR/marketing and my thoughts about the cost still being the same (despite obvious lower materials and labour costs), it really makes you wonder if they are up to something - a 'new' surprise to be announced later this year. ... 300m supertall in Oklahoma.

Ahhhh.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    knowing Devon and Nickels, he could build the tower to 300m (who in the city would object) and also build the data center (or an off-site data center/backup center) at the airport.

anyways, of course I (and jmarkross) are obviously speculating and very hypothetical at that..... , but given some of jm's insight into PR/marketing and my thoughts about the cost still being the same (despite obvious lower materials and labour costs), it really makes you wonder if they are up to something - a 'new' surprise to be announced later this year. ... 300m supertall in Oklahoma.

Ahhhh.
    A structure of this size was always--like in most other circumstances--not a product of "need" (land space is not exactly scarce in OKC) but instead a matter of impression and prestige--and less importantly--a matter of unifed location. As it should be. And look at recent developments in the Gulf. Having this structure underway with a clearly possible future of CNG being the fuel of choice for all vehicles, well, it would be almost criminal not to take advantage of the situation for advancing Devon's position. And--there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so--in fact--they have every reason to be proud of their success and and their foresight into this clean fuel of the future that is largely produced right where this new icon will stand. Only time will tell...but I see such a golden opportunity to make a big splash, I don't think I am the only one who can see the obvious. The story about the change in plans for the data base management center is rather thinly veiled. I think this bldg. will add stories, and I don't think it will be an accident it will exceed the height of any building in Dallas--OR--Houston! It only has to be 80-feet over the original plan to do that, who would squander such an opportunity? I say it will be over 1005 feet...and that option was built-in from the git-go.

A structure of this size was always--like in most other circumstances--not a product of "need" (land space is not exactly scarce in OKC) but instead a matter of impression and prestige--and less importantly--a matter of unifed location. As it should be. And look at recent developments in the Gulf. Having this structure underway with a clearly possible future of CNG being the fuel of choice for all vehicles, well, it would be almost criminal not to take advantage of the situation for advancing Devon's position. And--there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so--in fact--they have every reason to be proud of their success and and their foresight into this clean fuel of the future that is largely produced right where this new icon will stand. Only time will tell...but I see such a golden opportunity to make a big splash, I don't think I am the only one who can see the obvious. The story about the change in plans for the data base management center is rather thinly veiled. I think this bldg. will add stories, and I don't think it will be an accident it will exceed the height of any building in Dallas--OR--Houston! It only has to be 80-feet over the original plan to do that, who would squander such an opportunity? I say it will be over 1005 feet...and that option was built-in from the git-go.
    I hope your right. (Bigger is Better)

I don't mean to sound argumentative but what evidence is there to suggest that the building will not be exactly what they said it would be? The last I heard was 850 feet due to a redesign of the data center being at a different location. I would love to see the building 1,000+ feet but to date, I have not seen a single piece of evidence that the owners even desire one that big much less some sort of conspiracy. I would agree that it would be an awesome sight. I am just curious where all this conspiracy theory business is coming from. Does someone know something that the rest of us do not? I am very skeptical of these types of stories without any evidence to back them up.

Quote Originally Posted by plmccordj View Post
    I don't mean to sound argumentative but what evidence is there to suggest that the building will not be exactly what they said it would be? The last I heard was 850 feet due to a redesign of the data center being at a different location. I would love to see the building 1,000+ feet but to date, I have not seen a single piece of evidence that the owners even desire one that big much less some sort of conspiracy. I would agree that it would be an awesome sight. I am just curious where all this conspiracy theory business is coming from. Does someone know something that the rest of us do not? I am very skeptical of these types of stories without any evidence to back them up.
    Although we do live in "conspiratorial times"...it is not really that apsect, instead the normal options that are open when buildings are constructed. The possible choice to make it be higher (or lower) is just a hypothetical possibility of a way to capitalize on opportunity...similarly, the choice to make it 75' shorter seems an odd duck, certainly not enough of a reason to make a significant change to the plans...more a test balloon and gamesmanship at some level. Advertising oneself is the reason why they are building a skyscraper--and the reason everyone else builds them as well. Did they "just forget" about the placement of the data center elsewhere?--or do you think maybe the mystique of keeping people interested in their company and it's projects is a good way to put a buff on the old company moniker...again...all this is well and good--and why not? Public attention and approval will be instrumental in their marketing of products at some point...unless they are a public service--which I assume they are not. It would not hurt them to be headquartered in the tallest building in any of the major U.S. oil cities...like Dallas and Houston. What kind of a dolt would get really close and then just decide not to--for no realistic reason--go the last nine yards? My speculations are merely that...just conjecture...my only crutch to support it is that I have been around the block a few thousand times and know fairly well perception theory and it's importance if you are selling anything. Start designing logos for the new Devon CNG stations I think will begin appearing real soon. Natural gas is there, technology is there--only the WILL is lacking. Hell--half of the world's problems revolve around where oil is produced and how to drag it all over the world--and it is heavy! Energy self-sufficiency (including using in military aircraft!) is at our feet...and it is enormously cleaner than any other fossil fuel. Destiny itself seems to lead the way.

All this talk about the building size..and I haven't seen anyone on here talk about how well Devon may or may not be doing. Apparently they've been laying off people the last month or so.

10. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    All this talk about the building size..and I haven't seen anyone on here talk about how well Devon may or may not be doing. Apparently they've been laying off people the last month or so.
    They sold off their Offshore assets, thus the people working those projects are no longer needed for their services. Most of the layoffs are in houston. If you don't believe me, the Devon houston offices are next door to my company and talk of the offshore sale to BP was followed by talks of layoffs and personel transfers to BP which was then followed by people who disappeared off my park n ride.

Devon is repositioning themselves for north american drilling. Doesn't mean they are not doing well.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

Ahhhh.
    The Data Center is completed or near completion. It even had to take some hits during design.

Even Larry Nichols has to answer to a Board of Directors.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    They sold off their Offshore assets, thus the people working those projects are no longer needed for their services. Most of the layoffs are in houston. If you don't believe me, the Devon houston offices are next door to my company and talk of the offshore sale to BP was followed by talks of layoffs and personel transfers to BP which was then followed by people who disappeared off my park n ride.

Devon is repositioning themselves for north american drilling. Doesn't mean they are not doing well.
    I'm not saying I know all about it - I do know people were laid off in OKC

Holy conspiracy theories...

I had a good friend get laid off last month and another said they hire a consultant to go to each department and see who is needed. He also said they hired 50 college grads and have 100 interns this summer.

Photos taken at 6 p.m. Sunday night...

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Looking at the renderings closely, It looks like the mezzanine level or "mini-floor" is the second floor of the podium building. The second floor of the tower is the third floor of the podium building. Devon employees can access most if not all the podium building floors from the tower through the rotunda.

This makes sense because it makes it easier for Devon employees to access all parts of the complex without having to take two elevator rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson410 View Post
    Read post #1375... you'll see it in the background. I doubt it'll be considered the 2nd floor..
    I think it depends on how they view the whole complex. If they view it as one building I think they would call it the 2nd floor because its the 2nd floor of the podium building.

ourulz2000 - nice shots! I really like #5, with the sun sparkling off of the building in background.

Thanks OUrulz2000--the ground level photos are excellent--and as mentioned before--number 5 was a GREAT shot! Thanks for the sidewalk trip by "electronic device"...saw more of the area I had wondered about.

It's about a week old... but here is a panorama to include the gardens.

BREATHTAKING panorama, Platemaker!

^^ niiiice!

very, very nice platemaker!

Blog Entries

Platemaker, that is a great view. I wish that was the angle the live cam was on. It is awesome because it shows the whole project.

Thanks for taking the time to shoot and share.

One question for anyone who can answer it? When The tower reaches a height taller than any tower in DT OKC where will The Web Cam be placed?I'm guessing The same place just tilted upward?

Thread Information