Widgets Magazine
Page 113 of 486 FirstFirst ... 1363108109110111112113114115116117118163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 12127

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by vandy View Post
    I will try to make it to the site tomorrow for a few pictures. Any requests on angles? No promises, but I'll see what I can do.
    West side of garage please...........

Quote Originally Posted by vandy View Post
    I will try to make it to the site tomorrow for a few pictures. Any requests on angles? No promises, but I'll see what I can do.
    cab of the tallest tower crane looking down - you should be able to make it up there and snap one pic before you get caught and arrested

yeah get on the ground where the workers are.

Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post
    West side of garage please...........
    Here are some shots I took today from the West side of the garage today at Lunch.

Thanks nd!

At least the health club breaks up the massive monolithic facade of that west side.

It will be interesting to see what type of glass they put in that area.

Today's lunch turned into a "working lunch." That's code for "no lunchbreak." I'll try at it tomorrow.

Blog Entries

I think they are doing a good job making a parking garage a fairly attractive building. It is never going to be the Guggenheim. I think we should wait until the whole complex is complete to really judge the pieces. The architects design for the whole project effect and function. I think it will all be outstanding when all together.

I dont think we should judge the design as much as the walkability factor. Will it give that superblock subliminal mentality, where people don't want to walk by it that much? Time will tell. I think we all can agree it's not your typical parking garage design, hopefully that will make it more walkable.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I dont think we should judge the design as much as the walkability factor. Will it give that superblock subliminal mentality, where people don't want to walk by it that much? Time will tell. I think we all can agree it's not your typical parking garage design, hopefully that will make it more walkable.
    I think a lot in how it is perceived by pedestrians will be determined by how the sidewalk is now treated. By that I mean will there be trees planted acting as a division from the roadway, and will there be items such as benches to break up the distance from end to end. Also it the glass is completely mirrored and allows no view in to the fitness center then that will hurt the sense of security for pedestrians. A lot of the "walkability" issues are psychological and actually seeing others and knowing that there is more of a chance of being seen by others, even if it one story above will aid in that.

I would of course have loved it if those CMU blocked in bays at grade had been retail like a Cafe' Express or a Murphy's Deli so it would serve the lunch and downtown crowd. That would have been ideal...but if wishes were ponies...

I definately agree that the garage is already hands down better than most if not all of the garages we have in the city.

just because...

Thanks Platemaker! Great to see from your perspective & fantastic to see the work on the Gardens up close! Great stuff!

Thumbs up Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Stunning Platemaker! These are the pictures we have not had...excellent answers to some questions I had about the north side of the building! Were you in the Colcord Building? The view from above is remarkable--I hope you can return to the same spot in the future!

Yep... 12th Floor of the Colcord.

BTW--Platemaker--and the other photographers--could one not sweet-talk the Colcord folks into letting one take some pix from an unoccupied west side room window of that building? Or--am I just preaching to the choir--and you have already done that? Some more from anyone in the Chase Tower would be nice as well...thanks again to all of you who take the pictures! I would bet this may end up being the best documented progressions ever of a high-rise built and it is all available to those with a passion to watch it happen. Maybe a Pulitzer for Peter? I don't think it can be overstated how impressive this really is. My childhopod fantasies with my Erector Set are flowering into fruition...how fun!

@ Platemaker.

You surely have a front row seat for these two projects. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Awesome pics. Just wondering if the third pic was meant to be bigger? The details are hazy, like its been compressed or something. I'd like to see it bigger if you can post it. But thanks anyway. Great angles...

There's a pump on top of the southern core now.

It looks like they've installed a concrete placing boom on the south core. Maybe someone can get a photo of it? I think it looks something like the photo below.

Does anyone know if there will be a boom installed all 3 cores or just 1?

Quote Originally Posted by kinggober View Post
    It looks like they've installed a concrete placing boom on the south core. Maybe someone can get a photo of it? I think it looks something like the photo below.

Does anyone know if there will be a boom installed all 3 cores or just 1?

A question for someone in the construction business--as the floors go up, do they pump concrete from the gound level or is it mixed at some higher location as the building rises? Seems like it would be prohibitively heavy in short order to me...but I am ignorant on this. Also--is there a certain type of concrete mix (size of the aggregate (?) used in the mix, etc.) that is specific for high rise construction?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    A question for someone in the construction business--as the floors go up, do they pump concrete from the gound level or is it mixed at some higher location as the building rises? Seems like it would be prohibitively heavy in short order to me...but I am ignorant on this. Also--is there a certain type of concrete mix (size of the aggregate (?) used in the mix, etc.) that is specific for high rise construction?
    The Concrete is usually brought in with trucks and pumped up the entire height of of the structure. Usually there would only be one pumping boom installed that should have the reach to cover the entire floor plate. As the structure increases they add to the pipe that is pumping the concrete.

Thanks OKC@Heart...one further question, when you have time--as before--I am not familiar with all this--do they use a turning-gear type method of it raising the mix up the pipe...or is it possible to use pressure alone to move it up that distance? Surely gives one an appreciation of what the guys must do who build these structures--it is not an easy or simple operation. Amazing amount of obstacles to overcome and handle. Impressive. Here we get to watch the whole thing happen...a rare opportunity.

Here's a picture of the pump. I'll have to bring my new camera to work and take some more quality photos one day next week.

I'm guessing these are forms for the upper floors?

Vandy and I went down to the site at lunch today. You can see a few more here

Okcmomentum, Yeah those are going to be the forms for the uppers and that is why it will go much quicker they will place them as units and then be ready to pour much more quickly.

I think that it was stated that the first 6 or so were more complicated and then after that it would become more uniform.

Kingober & Vandy, Thanks for those fantastic shots! Made a huge impact! Loved the shot that shows down to the bottom basement level. really shows how much has transpired in the last two months!

So do they slide those forms out from the side of the building after the concrete is poured.

Thread Information