Widgets Magazine
Page 111 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1161106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 3102

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Blog Entries

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Norman is already part of OKC's metropolitan area.
    I think he's talking about the name the census gives the MSA, that Norman should be considered a second core city instead of a suburb, which I would agree with, and therefore the name should be The Oklahoma City-Norman MSA.

Blog Entries

Norman's population is 130,000. Oklahoma City-Norman IDK when a city reaches that status--maybe 10% or more of the MSA population.

Oklahoma City was the 12th fastest growing MSA with a population over 1 million from 2020-2021.

2022 population estimates will be released this week, will be interesting to see the new numbers.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...estimates.html

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I think he's talking about the name the census gives the MSA, that Norman should be considered a second core city instead of a suburb, which I would agree with, and therefore the name should be The Oklahoma City-Norman MSA.
    what is the threshold for this to happen?

I think Norman is excluded from the name because Norman doesn't have a more significant impact on the surrounding communities and rural areas than OKC does. This probably a result of both OKC and Norman having such large city limits.

For comparison, Norman is 189 sq miles; Round Rock, TX is only 38 sq miles. When you do the math Round Rock is 5X more dense. Norman's 750 people per sq mile isn't going to help. With Moore's 2900 people per sq mile it will be the OKC-Moore MSA long before Norman will be included. Even Edmond is significantly more dense than Norman.

^ Norman has a ridiculously large city limits because of Lake Thunderbird. A good chunk of “Norman” is either protected watershed or flood plain along the Canadian River.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    ^ Norman has a ridiculously large city limits because of Lake Thunderbird. A good chunk of “Norman” is either protected watershed or flood plain along the Canadian River.
    Yeah, but doesn't change the fact that it screws up the math. If Norman city limits were 25 sq miles it would probably already be the OKC-Norman MSA.

Here's the criteria for naming of MSAs and CSAs:

E. 2020 Standards for Delineating Core Based Statistical Areas, and Key Terms
    Section 5. Identification of Principal Cities
    The Principal City (or Cities) of a CBSA will include:
    (a) The largest incorporated place with a 2020 Census population of at least 10,000 in the CBSA or, if no incorporated place of at least 10,000 population is present in the CBSA, the largest incorporated place or census designated place in the CBSA; and
    (b) Any additional incorporated place or census designated place with a 2020 Census population of at least 250,000 or in which 100,000 or more persons work; and
    (c) Any additional incorporated place or census designated place with a 2020 Census population of at least 50,000, but less than 250,000, and in which the number of workers working in the place meets or exceeds the number of workers living in the place; and
    (d) Any additional incorporated place or census designated place with a 2020 Census population of at least 10,000, but less than 50,000, and at least one-third the
    population size of the largest place, and in which the number of workers working in the place meets or exceeds the number of workers living in the place.
    Section 9. Titles of Core Based Statistical Areas, Metropolitan Divisions, and Combined Statistical Areas
    (a) The title of a CBSA will include the name of its Principal City with the largest 2020 Census population. If there are multiple Principal Cities, the names of the second largest and (if present) third-largest Principal Cities will appear in the title in order of descending population size. If the Principal City with the largest 2020 Census population is a census designated place, the name of the largest incorporated place of at least 10,000 population that also is a Principal City will appear first in the title followed by the name of the census designated place. If the Principal City with the largest 2020 Census population is a census designated place, and there is no incorporated place of at least 10,000 population that also is a Principal City, the name of that census designated place Principal City will appear first in the title.
    (b) The title of a Metropolitan Division will include the name of the Principal City with the largest 2020 Census population located in the Metropolitan Division. If there are multiple Principal Cities, the names of the second-largest and (if present) third-largest Principal Cities will appear in the title in order of descending population size. If there are no Principal Cities located in the Metropolitan Division, the title of the Metropolitan Division will use the names of up to three counties in order of descending 2020 Census population size.
    (c) The title of a Combined Statistical Area will include the names of the two largest Principal Cities in the combination and the name of the third-largest Principal City, if present. If the Combined Statistical Area title duplicates that of one of its component CBSAs, the name of the third-most-populous Principal City will be dropped from the title of the Combined Statistical Area.
    (d) Titles also will include the names of any State in which the area is located.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...2021-15159.pdf

Norman meets the population condition but apparently not the employment condition.

I don't think it has do with density. Norman is a core city and has a major economic impact to the metro area. University of Oklahoma and Norman Regional Hospital are the biggest employers, and they employ thousands in the region. Also, it is becoming a commercial center for shopping with University Town Center. I think it focuses more on economic impact and commuter percentage from surrounding cities.

And does Norman rely heavily on OKC for anything? Norman has always been a little different and done their own thing.

11. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I don't think it has do with density. Norman is a core city and has a major economic impact to the metro area. University of Oklahoma and Norman Regional Hospital are the biggest employers, and they employ thousands in the region. Also, it is becoming a commercial center for shopping with University Town Center. I think it focuses more on economic impact and commuter percentage from surrounding cities.

And does Norman rely heavily on OKC for anything? Norman has always been a little different and done their own thing.
    I’d say so. A lot of the OU grads end up working in OKC.

My point wasn't density but that people who are currently living in the rural parts of Norman and work in the urbanized portion of Norman don't get counted as commuters. If the city limits were smaller they would get counted.

I live in Moore, but work in Norman for the university. But about half the people I work with don't live in Norman.

New state, metropolitan and city population 2022 estimates just released this morning:

Oklahoma: 4,019,800 (+28,525) since 2021.
    Oklahoma City: 694,800 (+6,439) since 2021.
    Oklahoma City Metro Area: 1,459,380 (+15,793) since 2021.

Interesting to note more than half of the state population growth was in the Oklahoma City Metro area.

Source: https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...ta/tables.html

Tulsa city proper evidently lost over a thousand people. Poor Tulsa.

New state, metropolitan and city population 2022 estimates just released this morning:

Interesting to note more than half of the state population growth was in the Oklahoma City Metro area.

Source: https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...ta/tables.html
    Where do you find that half of the state population growth was in OKC metro? Which of those files shows that?

For context, this puts Oklahoma City as the 53rd fastest-growing metro area in terms of raw numbers. It also puts us at 64th (out of 288) in % growth since 2021 for metro areas with over 500k, with a +1.09% increase, and 30th (out of 127) for metro areas with over 1M.

As usual, Texas is just crushing it in these metrics.

fortpatches from what G. Walker said the state gained a little over 28 thousand and okc metro gained over 15 thousand. So the math would show more that half in the state growth was in the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    fortpatches from what G. Walker said the state gained a little over 28 thousand and okc metro gained over 15 thousand. So the math would show more that half in the state growth was in the metro.
    I would assume it is correct, but with just that information, you cannot draw that conclusion. I was wondering what other information was used to draw that conclusion.

Like, I didn't see where the people that entered the state [i.e., state growth] were also the people that settled in OKC metro [i.e., metro growth]. Hypothetically (and quite unlikely), all state growth could be in surrounding areas while metro growth was rural areas moving into the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Tulsa city proper evidently lost over a thousand people. Poor Tulsa.
    I’m surprised as the city had been seeing positive growth prior to 2020, and 5% growth since 2010. Unfortunately Tulsa is mostly built-out in the areas that it would naturally grow so it has to grow by infilling existing areas. That growth is not enough to offset the losses, especially families moving to the surrounding burbs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    I would assume it is correct, but with just that information, you cannot draw that conclusion. I was wondering what other information was used to draw that conclusion.

Like, I didn't see where the people that entered the state [i.e., state growth] were also the people that settled in OKC metro [i.e., metro growth]. Hypothetically (and quite unlikely), all state growth could be in surrounding areas while metro growth was rural areas moving into the metro.
    A difference without a distinction. What point are you trying to make? You think people are moving to OK to move to small towns and farms? Come on. SMH 🤦*♂️

22. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

nice to see the metro area outpace the city. Still want to see the city growing more than 12,000 per year (1000 per mo), and the metro double that.

also, it's very clear that OKC metro are is leading the state on growth, not sure why there's even a debate. If the state grew by 28k in a year and OKC metro area grew by 16k; one would only conclude that most of the metro area's growth contributed to the state. Sure there had to have been rural to OKC migration but I seriously doubt it would be more than 10% of the 16k.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Some OKC suburbs lost population, such as Midwest City, Bethany and Warr Acres. Elsewhere in the state, it looks like a lot of small towns have been holding their own or adding on population since 2020.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Some OKC suburbs lost population, such as Midwest City, Bethany and Warr Acres. Elsewhere in the state, it looks like a lot of small towns have been holding their own or adding on population since 2020.
    These are just estimates, and I don't believe any of that. I think Covid has messed up all of models.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Of the 589 cities and towns in Oklahoma, over 209 had losses. Another 97 had no growth. Other than Tulsa itself, they were all small towns. Over half are losing population or have no growth. So no, they are not holding their own. Growth was concentrated in larger towns.

Here's the list of those growing more than 500.

City Population Growth
    Oklahoma City city, Oklahoma 694,800 6,439
    Broken Arrow city, Oklahoma 117,911 1,555
    Mustang city, Oklahoma 22,232 1,127
    Edmond city, Oklahoma 96,286 930
    Newcastle city, Oklahoma 13,055 902
    Yukon city, Oklahoma 25,556 856
    El Reno city, Oklahoma 18,560 802
    Owasso city, Oklahoma 39,328 649
    Bixby city, Oklahoma 29,800 599
    Norman city, Oklahoma 129,627 557
    Piedmont city, Oklahoma 8,445 535