Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

You can substitute the sides at Leo's now.

CaptDave,
    Thanks, that's good to hear. It's a little more convenient for me now that I'm retired.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    CT - the original location at 36th and Kelley is the one that is open now. The one on 4th Street is closed (and sold I think.) I mix the sauces too and love coming out of there smelling like smoke for the rest of the day.

BlueDogok,
    More good information. I always wanted to have beans and fries but the chopped beef plate was beans and mac salad.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    You can substitute the sides at Leo's now.

Took the two youngest to Leo's for lunch today and as always it did not disappoint. One on my favorite places in this whole state.

The Buy for Less on 23rd and N Penn, there is a little smoker shack out in the parking lot.

I don't know the name of it, but from what I can tell its one of those places that sells its inventory for the day, then closes shop.

I've looked at the menu in the store- ribs, brisket , hot links and some chicken - no sides, just meat!

I'd like to hear a review if anyone's tried it.

It's called JC's.

The one review on Yelp is very positive:

J.C.'s BBQ - Uptown - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon

A photo of the counter inside Buy for Less:

8. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I've had JC's on my radar for awhile but since they aren't open during the week it has made it difficult for me to get over there and try it.

9. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Some of the best in OKC right now is coming from Kosmo's BBQ. Right now they are vending from a trailer and parking either at SW 44th and Council or at the Sherwin William's at I-40 and Mustang Road.

Kosmo's is a competition cook and also has a business selling competition rubs. marinades, and injections. They are mostly serving sandwiches right now but plan to expand their menu. I'm really not a BBQ sandwich type of person but these have me hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Some of the best in OKC right now is coming from Kosmo's BBQ. Right now they are vending from a trailer and parking either at SW 44th and Council or at the Sherwin William's at I-40 and Mustang Road.

Kosmo's is a competition cook and also has a business selling competition rubs. marinades, and injections. They are mostly serving sandwiches right now but plan to expand their menu. I'm really not a BBQ sandwich type of person but these have me hooked.
    That is out my neck of woods so will have to give it a try. Do you also post on either the hastybake or cookshack forums?

11. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    That is out my neck of woods so will have to give it a try. Do you also post on either the hastybake or cookshack forums?
    Neither of those... I have made a few posts on the Virtual Weber Bullet forums and spent a lot of time on The Smoke Ring over the years but don't post there much anymore since I focus most of my time on my FB page and my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Neither of those... I have made a few posts on the Virtual Weber Bullet forums and spent a lot of time on The Smoke Ring over the years but don't post there much anymore since I focus most of my time on my FB page and my blog.
    Do you mind divulging your FB page? is it also OK BBQ Eaters Anonymous?

Went by Railhead BBQ today in Guthrie/Edmond and it was rather tasty had pulled pork ,ribs,bbq beans, and potato wedges. It took forever to get the food but what we got was delicious. I will definitely go back if I'm in the area again.

My friend from London is here and her favorite American food is barbecue. I'm on oxygen so I can't go anywhere over night so where in Oklahoma would you folks recommend for que? Davis, Tulsa, Poteau (Wild Horse I think)? I love good brisket and good ribs. I could read the eleven pages of this thread, but things change, so hoping you will point me in the right direction. We are going to Tulsa in the next few days.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    My friend from London is here and her favorite American food is barbecue. I'm on oxygen so I can't go anywhere over night so where in Oklahoma would you folks recommend for que? Davis, Tulsa, Poteau (Wild Horse I think)? I love good brisket and good ribs. I could read the eleven pages of this thread, but things change, so hoping you will point me in the right direction. We are going to Tulsa in the next few days.
    Thanks,
    C. T.
    My Tulsa friends talk about a BBQ place called Burn or something like that

16. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Thanks,
    C. T.
    Burn Co BBQ is the best in the state right now. They just moved into a larger location but still be prepared to stand in a line. Yes I said stand in line. They are the only Q-raunt in Oklahoma that I know of a line forming before they open their doors.

Don't know if they are running out of meat as quickly as they did at their old location but don't wait to late to get there or you may not get what you want. They only make so much and when it's gone it is gone.

Opening Day at Burn Co. Barbecue in Tulsa on Boston

Thanks,
    C. T.
    CT, Wild Horse is just outside Sallisaw, a few miles south on HWY 59 (named for its location at the base of Wild Horse Mountain) It's no longer on the main road as they built a four lane several years back about 70-100 yards to the north of the old highway. Little brother still pops in from time to time. Says it is still good, not Hubert good, but still good. We both have fond memories of chowing out and listening to Hubert's tales from our younger days. If memory serves, his sons or other kin have it now.

Locally, I like the Q served at Sooner Legends (SW 24th and Lindsey in Norman), followed by Van's (N porter in Norman), and Ray's (W Lindsey in Norman.) A friend swears by a place in Pauls Valley, north side of town on 77, name totally escapes me at the moment, sorry.

In OKC, I like Bubba's and Leo's.

My goto place in the Metro is George's Happy Hog Barbecue on Culbertson, just a few blocks east of Lincoln. After George it went through a rough stretch with new owners for a year or so, but another ownership change has restored it's awesomeness. The lady that takes your order and money is an absolute riot!

19. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    ... A friend swears by a place in Pauls Valley, north side of town on 77, name totally escapes me at the moment, sorry.
    That would be Bob's Pig Shop.... They keep odd hours so I would call ahead before I ventured out there.

Great suggestions folks, Thanks. We are going to Tulsa for another reason so will probably try to get into Burn Co. I have always wondered about Wild Horse, I have driven past it several times visiting Poteau, and of course Leo's and if Bubba's is the one that was at 39th Expressway and Portland, it was pretty good. For some reason, I have never tried George's. I have taken my friend to Van's in Shawnee and we enjoyed it. Pauls Valley is a new one on me, we might make it there. And there were others mentioned.
    Again, Thanks for the tips,
    C. T.

I found a place in Broken Arrow on Kenosha right off the Creek Turnpike that calls me back when I am in that area. The name of the Q raunt is SMOKIE'S. They have a sandwich called the Razorback that is pork, bacon and their homemade Atomic Slaw. I also have enjoyed their ribs and chicken. The chicken has been moist every time I ordered it. The establishment has great décor and they even have a back porch with an occasional band at night. I give it two thumbs up and am curious as to whether or not OBEA has had a chance to sample them yet.

I finally made it back to George's after a year or so. Ordered a chopped beef sandwich, which was ridden with much extra fat. It was like buying pot, watching the seller add stems and seeds for weight. I removed so much fat, probably a quarter of the sandwich. BUMMER! Next time, I got a "chicken quarter", the breast of which was great but the wing was pretty worthless, being a wing. Beans were still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    My goto place in the Metro is George's Happy Hog Barbecue on Culbertson, just a few blocks east of Lincoln. After George it went through a rough stretch with new owners for a year or so, but another ownership change has restored it's awesomeness. The lady that takes your order and money is an absolute riot!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    I finally made it back to George's after a year or so. Ordered a chopped beef
    sandwich, which was ridden with much extra fat. It was like buying pot,
    watching the seller add stems and seeds for weight. I removed so much fat,
    probably a quarter of the sandwich. BUMMER! Next time, I got a "chicken
    quarter", the breast of which was great but the wing was pretty worthless,
    being a wing. Beans were still very good.
    LOL! We must have had the same dealer. Stems and seeds were a problem
    when looking for a quality product. I never thought about it as being
    equated with food.

24. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

If anyone is interested in some light reading. Myself and two brave volunteers sampled slabs of ribs at 15 different OKC area Q-raunts over 4 Saturdays. We dubbed it the 2014 Broken Rib Tour

Great blog OKBBQ. I tried JC's Friday (Best Buy 23/Penn). Got the sampler which was basically chopped brisket, sliced brisket, ribs, hot links, ribs and polish. (The chopped may have been extra) Ribs were tasty and decent texture. The chopped was excellent. The sliced brisket needed some rub or seasoning...was a little bland but was moist and cooked well. The hot links were disappointing...store bought and really needed to smoke longer to bring our the heat. Better than average BBQ but wouldn't go out of the way for it.

Thread Information