Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

1. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Interesting. Have to say I'm surprised about the "ghetto car" - haha only in Edmond. Most of the cars I've been picked up in were spotless - I'm sure because drivers know the cleaner their car, the higher their rating. It's not surprising that he didn't know where you were going - the app only shows where the ride requester is - at no point do you tell your destination in the app. Not sure why he called and asked where you were going - would he have turned you down? Or maybe he has received odd requests. Sounds like you did receive sub-standard service, even compared to what I've gotten in OKC. Best way to remedy this is to give your driver a less than stellar rating - supposedly Uber fires drivers who are less than **** - is that correct, Pete and others? Also not surprising how long you had to wait. I rarely have to wait more than 5-10 min, but then again I live in downtown where there's a much higher concentration of cars and riders.
    Yeah, I know several people (females) that would not have gotten in the car and certainly would not have let it take their kids anywhere - simply because it did look 'suspicious.'

Actually, when I requested the car I did tell the app exactly where I was going. That's how I got a price estimate.

He only asked where I was going after first calling to ask where I was - which I'd have thought he would have already known. Maybe that's just his way of communicating when he calls to confirm he's in route. I'd prefer if he called and simply repeated my location's address and that he'd be there shortly.

I didn't see an obvious way to rate the driver. When I went to the website and clicked on the driver profile link it showed 4-5 drivers, but none was the guy I had.

I plan on using it again if needed, but it wasn't the stellar experience I was hoping for. Also, I don't know I'd pay more for an Uber ride then I would for a cab.

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I plan on using it again if needed, but it wasn't the stellar experience I was hoping for. Also, I don't know I'd pay more for an Uber ride then I would for a cab.
    "Next time, call for MY cab . . ."

". . . It's spotless."

3. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Oklahoma City:

Tulsa:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OklahomaCityMap.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	7601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TulsaMap.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	7602  

Given the demographics of people who use uber, this map could basically be a primer on where the young, rich, and fabulous people in OKC live or are going. Downtown, Bricktown, and Midtown are well represented. Looks like it is also used pretty heavily along the Western Avenue corridor as well. What surprised me was how much use it gets in Mesta Park/Heritage Hills stretching up into the Paseo area, some of the historical neighborhoods west of Classen, and the area roughly around May and NWX.

Outside of these areas, the airport (for obvious reasons) and a smattering of neighborhood streets in NWOKC and Edmond, most of the city is dark.

5. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Oklahoma City:

Tulsa:

The previous images are no longer working for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Well, my Uber career didn't last long. I got an email today that said they were only rolling out the BlackCar service here in Jax which requires me to own a large black car and be a licensed chauffer, so that counts me out. Oh well, at least I got 1 cent from the test direct deposit.
    It looks like UberX has finally made its way to Jax. I took the on-line training, passed the test, and submitted my documentation. Now I just have to wait up to 7 days for them to review it and give me my phone app. My only concern is that my exact car wasn't listed as an option. The Fiat 500 was there but not the 500L. I hope they don't think I have the 2-door version and reject me for that reason.

Okay, I got all my paper work for Uber submitted and went down this afternoon to pick up my phone. On the way home I decided to go on-line for the first time and after about 15 minutes I got my first fare. Pretty easy stuff and it was kind of fun. I took 6 people from their hotel to St Johns Town Center. The best part is it was all on my way home anyhow. I love that the app is on a dedicated phone so I don't have to junk mine up with yet another app - and I can still use my own phone while waiting for a fare. This is going to be a good way for me to kill a couple of hours per week.

Pete, you mentioned there was a way to set a tip amount but I don't see that option anywhere unless I sign up as UberTAXI. I have never used the service myself but can the rider add a tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    https://clients.uber.com/#!/billing is where you set up your gratuity amount.
    Sid - so that is for the rider (client) to set up their tip amount correct? Since I am the driver there is no place for me to do it unless I am setup as a taxi driver - which of course I am not.

Also, from what I have been able to read on-line, the tip amount the client sets up is only for taxi drivers. UberX drivers don't get any tip at all through the app so the only way to tip an UberX driver is to give them cash - which doesn't fit the business model and philosophy of Uber.

9. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Good luck with their protest. I can see why the taxi companies hate uber - it is because they can't compete.

I picked up a couple last night at their home and drove them to another house about 5 miles away. They told me they first called a cab and after 30 minutes they gave up and callef another cab company. After another 30 minutes the second cab still had not come. So they installed the Uber app, set up an account, and requested a ride. They told me from 'download' to me in their driveway was 12 minutes. Their trip cost $8 and change. They said they normally pay about $30 for the same trip in a cab.

So cabbies - protest away and piss even more people off.

11. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Good luck with their protest. I can see why the taxi companies hate uber - it is because they can't compete.

I picked up a couple last night at their home and drove them to another house about 5 miles away. They told me they first called a cab and after 30 minutes they gave up and callef another cab company. After another 30 minutes the second cab still had not come. So they installed the Uber app, set up an account, and requested a ride. They told me from 'download' to me in their driveway was 12 minutes. Their trip cost $8 and change. They said they normally pay about $30 for the same trip in a cab.

So cabbies - protest away and piss even more people off.
    All depends on when/where you travel. There are certainly times that Uber is more expensive than a traditional cab.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    All depends on when/where you travel. There are certainly times that Uber is more expensive than a traditional cab.
    I guess that is possible with congestion pricing in effect. All I know is the people who have ridden with me and who have also used cabs said Uber has been cheaper.

Thunder Cab now uses the Flywheel app. It's great. I get cabs within 10 minutes or so wherever I am and whatever time of day. I never have to talk to a dispatcher. Like Uber, you can see where your cab is and contact the driver en route.

It's a great alternative for those who don't want to use Uber and I've used it very successfully multiple times, so I vouch for it.

14. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I used Flywheel quite a bit before uber got here, but abandoned it due to the better price and availability of uber cars. I tried to use it again the other night when uber was maxed and I couldn't get a car, but also was unable to get one on Flywheel. Glad to hear Thunder Cab is on it. Hopefully that will improve availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I used Flywheel quite a bit before uber got here, but abandoned it due to the better price and availability of uber cars. I tried to use it again the other night when uber was maxed and I couldn't get a car, but also was unable to get one on Flywheel. Glad to hear Thunder Cab is on it. Hopefully that will improve availability.
    The few times it has said, "Driver not Available" I just try again and instantly get a driver. It is fast.

Okay, I have been driving for Uber for about 10 days now (now counting the 7 days I was out of town). It has been amazing and I love doing it. It is the perfect part-time job for me. On the money side I am averaging about $30/hr. Yesterday brought that average down a bit because I went on-line for about 3 hours and didn't get a single ping. The time wasn't wasted though because I just sat in the car and read a book. I got my first deposit for $253 and already have $72 in the next check. They do a direct deposit every Thursday for the rides from the previous week. I also got $15 in tips even though I tell people tipping is not necessary (I tell them 2 times and if they insist on the 3rd time I take the money).

Uber sends me a text letting me know where the hot-spots are and they even offer guaranteed income. For example, I just got a text that said guaranteed $12/hr from 2PM to 10PM tonight - so I will be driving for 4 hours this evening. Even if I don't get a single rider they will pay me $48 to read my book.

Most of the people I have given rides to are either going to dinner or coming home from dinner. I have a personal cut-off time of 10PM so I don't have to deal with drunks. It helps that my car seems tailor-made for being an Uber car. When the phone pings that I have a rider it gives me the address to go to. My car's navigation system is voice activated so I just say where I am going and the GPS plots my route.

Since every rider gets the same contact phone number I just programmed that number into my phone's address book as "Uber Rider" and I can talk to the person just by pushing an icon on my phone (and my car is Bluetooth enabled so I don't even have to hold the phone). When the person gets in I just ask where they are going. If I don't know where their destination is I just push the voice activated navigation button and they tell my car where they want to go (which everyone thinks is the coolest thing ever). When the route is plotted I ask them if that route is okay or if they have a preferred route – then I hit 'begin trip' and off we go.

Easiest money I have ever made and my newest problem is what to spend the extra money on. I am thinking ping pong table.

On a side note, I had mixed feelings about Uber operating in urban sprawl place like Jacksonville, but after seeing it in action, I think it is a good thing. Since the cost is based on distance those who chose to live a long ways from where they want to go pay the full cost of doing so. People who live in the higher density areas of Jax only run a bill between $8 and $10. People who live in subdivisions on the fringe are in the $25 to $35 range per trip.

An update on what is happening in other states.

Rules for Uber, Lyft to become law in Colorado | News OK

... my newest problem is what to spend the extra money on. I am thinking [next trip back to OK].
    JTF, seems like your post had an obvious glitch. I fixed it for you.

Last night Uber paid me $24 to sit in my car and read my book for 2 hours. Since they are still new to Jax they are trying to build demand by creating an over-supply. I made $36 on Monday night doing the same thing. It is not a fortune but it is enough to go buy stuff I want without going into the primary checking account to get it. I even worked out a deal with my kids to keep my car clean everyday in exchange for 10% of my Uber money. It is a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    An update on what is happening in other states.

Rules for Uber, Lyft to become law in Colorado | News OK
    Not sure what the previous laws in Colorado were but I already had to do this in Florida.

To obtain permits, the companies must have drivers pass criminal-background and driving-history checks. The driver's cars must pass vehicle inspections, and be clearly marked as TNC cars.

The drivers must also carry personal car insurance, in addition to the commercial insurance Uber and Lyft provide.
    Uber gave me a small sign that sits in the front window that shows I am an Uber driver. At night it is illuminated in blue light.

22. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Oklahoma City Uber passenger sues after scuffle with driver

Phillip Mazaheri is suing former Uber driver Tyler McEuin in excess of $75,000 after the two had an altercation in December 2013.

Tyler should have simply asked which route his passengers preferred if they didn't like the one he was taking.

Taking I235 to I44 to I35 is not a strange route to get to edmond if the couple lived anywhere near I-35 as opposed to Broadway...

Sounds like the driver should have offered an alternate route, and sounds like the (probably intoxicated) passengers should have shown more respect. If the claims are true, you don't slap and grab someone - especially if they are driving the car you are in...

25. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

We sang 80s songs with our driver on Saturday night. Pretty terrific ride.

Thread Information