Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Moved the posts on Showbiz to that thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44277

Any updates on this area? Expected more development to closely follow Showbiz, but it seems to have stalled out.

Quote Originally Posted by juhobra View Post
    Any updates on this area? Expected more development to closely follow Showbiz, but it seems to have stalled out.
    I noticed large earth moving equipment continue to rearrange soil in the development. They are either preparing for new projects or simply creating the development for possible new development. Either way it costs big bucks to have that much equipment moving soil.

I recently noticed a new development sign on the westside of the hotel entrance off of Covell. And, as you an imagine, it looks like a another strip mall type of development. While the sign indicates it will be a brick structure I can't but think it's just the same o, same o regarding commercial development. It's unfortunate that something very unique isn't being built which could set a part the hotel, theater development area. Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I recently noticed a new development sign on the westside of the hotel entrance off of Covell. And, as you an imagine, it looks like a another strip mall type of development. While the sign indicates it will be a brick structure I can't but think it's just the same o, same o regarding commercial development. It's unfortunate that something very unique isn't being built which could set a part the hotel, theater development area. Yawn.
    Doing something unique. large or transformative in Edmond is always met with resistance. Heck, even hotels along I35 is met with resistance. Thats why you see so many small, boring strip centers. They are easy to get approved and are usually small enough no citizens complain much about them.

How many more strip malls can be approved or supported, when many of them are sitting empty? That has to hurt some form of an economic report on square footage available across the city?

The McDonalds is open! Very excited to have a McDonald’s here as opposed going to central Edmond.

It's my understanding that the proposed sport complex at Covell and I35 will actually take place. If so, that area with food establishments and hotel will be super busy. Don't be surprised if you see additional hotel(s) being built in that area.

^^^ have you heard anything lately regarding the sports center?

The person who shared the info with me is pretty solid with their insight with the development. Stay tuned......

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    The person who shared the info with me is pretty solid with their insight with the development. Stay tuned......
    They need to put in the stoplights soon for the I-35 off ramps. Those left turns are dangerous.

The rumor mill is hot and heavy that Buc-ee’s was seriously eyeing Covell and 35. But the owner of the target property was wanting above and beyond the value of the lot. Got to the point Buc-ee’s corporate could only roll their eyes and walk away. That’d been a HIT and fit perfectly.

13. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Has there been any rumors of restaurants or stores on the land in front of Showbiz Movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    The rumor mill is hot and heavy that Buc-ee’s was seriously eyeing Covell and 35. But the owner of the target property was wanting above and beyond the value of the lot. Got to the point Buc-ee’s corporate could only roll their eyes and walk away. That’d been a HIT and fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Halloweenblonde16 View Post
    Has there been any rumors of restaurants or stores on the land in front of Showbiz Movies?
    This is what I want to know. So few restaurants for such a busy area...

Quote Originally Posted by juhobra View Post
    This is what I want to know. So few restaurants for such a busy area...
    Rooftops, there needs to be more rooftops. Edmond desperately wants Covell and 35 to be the center for everything, even giving about $15 million in incetnives to bring hotel and movie theater, not too mention more incentives for the sports complex on other side of 35. Yet even with those anchors being in place for several years, there still isnt much to show. That may change in a couple years but it shows you cant put the cart (economic development) before the horse (rooftops).

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Rooftops, there needs to be more rooftops. Edmond desperately wants Covell and 35 to be the center for everything, even giving about $15 million in incetnives to bring hotel and movie theater, not too mention more incentives for the sports complex on other side of 35. Yet even with those anchors being in place for several years, there still isnt much to show. That may change in a couple years but it shows you cant put the cart (economic development) before the horse (rooftops).
    it has little to do with rooftops ....

it has much more to do with who has owned the property ..

It's a tough chicken-and-egg situation. Edmond is focusing so much on Covell and I-35 because they're trying to actually look forwards and plan. Over the next 30 years the largest growth in Edmond will be East and North. But you're right, it's hard to get the economic development there to take off until there is more density. But on the flip it's harder to get that density until you have more economic development. I do think the pandemic slowed things down, but that eventually the efforts will pay off.

Rooftops, there needs to be more rooftops. Edmond desperately wants Covell and 35 to be the center for everything, even giving about $15 million in incentives to bring hotel and movie theater, not too mention more incentives for the sports complex on other side of 35. Yet even with those anchors being in place for several years, there still isnt much to show. That may change in a couple years but it shows you cant put the cart (economic development) before the horse (rooftops).
    The city of Edmond is surely eyeing city sales tax money from customers of the new businesses at Covell and I-35 coming in from Enid and Stillwater. Both towns don't have a lot of things that Edmond has, such as that fabulous new movie theater complex for starters. Neither have the two towns been able to attract major new business and especially industry. So not much distracting competition from there to discourage from going to Edmond.

I was just thinking a Bucees would kill it somewhere between Guthrie and Edmond. Lots of land at Waterloo and Seward interchanges.

Seems like I recall and rather large apartment complex was in the plans between the hotel and the theater. It seems that location would be a perfect fit for additional restaurants and other shops to have success in that area. Does anyone else recall possible apartments to be built in that area?

^^^ yes it was to be apartments around 700-800 with retail on the bottom and a paseo type street going straight from the theatre to the hotel. It’s been years since it was proposed though same sh!t with the McDonald’s and it still happened so maybe they’re just waiting.

Here y’all go even though it’s city wide.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^ yes it was to be apartments around 700-800 with retail on the bottom and a paseo type street going straight from the theatre to the hotel. It’s been years since it was proposed though same sh!t with the McDonald’s and it still happened so maybe they’re just waiting.
    I thought the area between the hotel and movie theatre was going to be condo's. Heard that prior to Covid but maybe it's changed. All apartments due is bring density not value to the area. Most people that live out that way would prefer a sub-division similar to Town Square between Coltrane and Air Depot off Danforth.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    I thought the area between the hotel and movie theatre was going to be condo's. Heard that prior to Covid but maybe it's changed. All apartments due is bring density not value to the area. Most people that live out that way would prefer a sub-division similar to Town Square between Coltrane and Air Depot off Danforth.
    i've never heard anything about condos. Doesnt really seem like a market for those in Edmond.

Why do apartments bring no value? They bring value for would be renters and nearby retailers.

i've never heard anything about condos. Doesnt really seem like a market for those in Edmond.

Why do apartments bring no value? They bring value for would be renters and nearby retailers.
    Which also brings a ton of value to homeowners but some people refuse to believe that apartments even well done ones contribute to valuation.

Thread Information