Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: In-n-Out Burger

Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Any time I see a comparison to In-N-Out the first thing I see peopel go to is the price, which would lead me to believe that they like the price rather than the burger

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Had Shake Shack for the first time the other week and I cannot believe its being mentioned in the same thread as In-N-Out.

Quality was good and I enjoyed the burger, but the price point is nowhere near that of In-N-Out. Double cheeseburger ran me about $9. Maybe the people in this thread are well-off to the point that the extra $6 over the cost of a Double-Double isn't a concern to them, but I think a lot of you are missing the point of In-N-Out. It's a burger of the quality of Shake Shack or Five Guys at a cost somewhere between McDonald's and Sonic.

Personally if I lived in a city with both In-N-Out and Shake Shack I wouldn't ever go to the latter. Heck, if we got a Shake Shack in OKC there'd be no reason to go there over Tucker's. More expensive, not as good, not as much food, not local.
    May I ask, did you eat Shake Shack at the original location in Madison Square Park in Manhattan? That is the only Shake Shack I've ever eaten and it was insanely good, and well worth the 35 minute wait at 10 pm on a weeknight. ON EDIT: I really enjoyed In-n-Out as well, but it is a very different type of burger and it's kind of silly to compare the two. In-N-Out is like a very good McDonald's burger made with arguably better raw ingredients, but it is in itself not some kind of revolutionary burger. Original Shake Shack is more of a quality genre burger and more innovative overall. I cannot comment on Shake Shack franchise locations, because I have only eaten at the original location, and bypassed the opportunity -- even in NYC -- to eat at franchise stores.

And to the person citing the "no trans fats" argument, McDonald's and most fast food joints don't feature trans fats in their food anymore. I suppose this was a big deal for In-N-Out in like 2007.

Blog Entries

In-n-Out is way more 5 Guys than McDonalds. But don't judge by 5 Guys here, only in NYC or Washington DC. 5G here is inferior

4. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

On a different, but related, note I had the Big G burger at the Garage last week and it's their version of the double double animal style from In N Out. Not in the same price point as In N Out obviously but it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I see in and out going to Norman before Ardmore.
    I see Stillwater getting another chicken place before it gets an In-N-Out. The latest one is Raising Cane's and will move in the recently closed Applebee's.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    On a different, but related, note I had the Big G burger at the Garage last week and it's their version of the double double animal style from In N Out. Not in the same price point as In N Out obviously but it was really good.
    Really? I thought it was a play on the big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Not in the same price point as In N Out obviously but it was really good.
    actually it is...I rarely hit up the garage because it doesn't tick my burger boxes. I noticed the last time I went that all but 3 or 4 burgers are under the $6 price point. "That is utterly insane" I thought to myself. Then the sandwich came. The ingredients are just so cheap. I can see why the model is so successful. You can get absolutely stuffed and buy 2 beers & tip for $20. But the quality of ingredient just left so much to be desired, it wasn't nasty, just blah. It kinda made me sad and pine for the old days of the electro-S&B pre-corporate experience. Honestly a burger with 2 sauces 3 cheeses, slaw, an egg, bacon, avocado, and peanut butter with rainbow sprinkles should cost $12, soylent green is made of people.

And I won't stand on the hill and defend in-n-out to all the people who don't like it for various reasons. But their freshness and quality is top. For the day 1 macro-economics lesson. From fryer oil to relish in the sauce it take about 20 items to stock an in-n-out kitchen. They can sell a double double for $4 because there's 4 things on it and they sell 2,000 every day. On any production line when the volume goes up the fixed costs go down. Variables like labor and insurance go down also. Which is probably why they pay one of the best fast food wages in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    And I won't stand on the hill and defend in-n-out to all the people who don't like it for various reasons. But their freshness and quality is top. For the day 1 macro-economics lesson. From fryer oil to relish in the sauce it take about 20 items to stock an in-n-out kitchen. They can sell a double double for $4 because there's 4 things on it and they sell 2,000 every day. On any production line when the volume goes up the fixed costs go down. Variables like labor and insurance go down also. Which is probably why they pay one of the best fast food wages in the country.
    On the note of operations, I have also always been amazed at just how many people they have working in each one. I went to one a few weeks ago outside San Diego and they had 11 people back there. Each person had his or her own task, and each order just went down the way and was ready super fast. It was almost as much fun watching the process as it was eating the food.

10. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    actually it is...I rarely hit up the garage because it doesn't tick my burger boxes. I noticed the last time I went that all but 3 or 4 burgers are under the $6 price point. "That is utterly insane" I thought to myself. Then the sandwich came. The ingredients are just so cheap. I can see why the model is so successful. You can get absolutely stuffed and buy 2 beers & tip for $20. But the quality of ingredient just left so much to be desired, it wasn't nasty, just blah. It kinda made me sad and pine for the old days of the electro-S&B pre-corporate experience. Honestly a burger with 2 sauces 3 cheeses, slaw, an egg, bacon, avocado, and peanut butter with rainbow sprinkles should cost $12, soylent green is made of people.
    The Big G is a double, so ~$8, but yeah most are around $6.

11. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Really? I thought it was a play on the big Mac
    Could be wrong, similar to both really. With a mustard fried onion patty I assumed it was the double double, but never eat McDonald's so In N Out was the only thing it reminded me of. Need to ask next time!

12. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

So someone at work was talking about seeing something saying In n Out was going in near Tinker. Anyone hear something like this? I didn't get the site from them and I wish I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    So someone at work was talking about seeing something saying In n Out was going in near Tinker. Anyone hear something like this? I didn't get the site from them and I wish I had.
    Someone was playing a joke. Not sure exactly where but the sign said In N Out burger coming but the number to call for info was from a 2000's rap song. If I find the pic I will post it.

14. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodH View Post
    Someone was playing a joke. Not sure exactly where but the sign said In N Out burger coming but the number to call for info was from a 2000's rap song. If I find the pic I will post it.
    Those monsters!

15. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

281-330-8004???

That is not the right state.

As far as the comparisons go, I'd say that In n Out is basically the burger version of Chick Fil A. Both restaurants don't really do anything over the top or trendy, but they manage the hell out of each location and the operations are like a Swiss watch. If you know what you want, then you are basically guaranteed a consistent experience each time.

I will visit an In N Out while traveling if there is no visible line, but I'm not going to wait even 15 minutes for it. Same for CFA.

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    As far as the comparisons go, I'd say that In n Out is basically the burger version of Chick Fil A. Both restaurants don't really do anything over the top or trendy, but they manage the hell out of each location and the operations are like a Swiss watch. If you know what you want, then you are basically guaranteed a consistent experience each time.

I will visit an In N Out while traveling if there is no visible line, but I'm not going to wait even 15 minutes for it. Same for CFA.
    This is a very good comparison.

Another similarity: They both treat their employees very well and provide great customer service.

I will say, the further east you go from CA, the lower the quality of food from In-and-Out. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries

Dallas location food seems very consistent with California. Their consistency is due to a very small menu and high commitment to quality ingredients. Been eating I&O in Cali for many, many years and don’t see problems with quality in Dallas. Same in NV.

They will do well here when they come.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I will say, the further east you go from CA, the lower the quality of food from In-and-Out. Just my opinion.
    This is true. The ones in Dallas aren’t as good as California, IMO. Now I’ve been to the one in Kingman and two others in Vegas(US 95 and the one by the strip off Tropicana) are pretty much par with California’s but I’ll usually eat White Castle so I’ve only been to those a couple times. For one reason or another I haven’t tried the ones in Utah yet.

Blog Entries

In a blind test I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the Dallas I&O food and Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    In a blind test I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the Dallas I&O food and Los Angeles.
    I could. Been to a couple of the ones in North Dallas and they didn’t taste like the ones in SoCal. They weren’t good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    They will do well here when they come.

Yes they will. Okies love a good burger and InO is about as good as it gets for the price.

Thread Information