Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The visitor economy is all but invisible for most locals, who are blissfully ignorant to the positive impact it has on our city, and how pronounced it has become in the past 15 years. There are a number of reasons the City’s sales tax revenue has doubled over the past few years, and it can’t be neatly accounted for with population increases or inflation. Oh, and even if it could be accounted for by population increases, those are defensibly due to quality of life investments, which have been largely driven by MAPS.
    I would think hotel/motel tax revenue would be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The visitor economy is all but invisible for most locals, who are blissfully ignorant to the positive impact it has on our city, and how pronounced it has become in the past 15 years. There are a number of reasons the City’s sales tax revenue has doubled over the past few years, and it can’t be neatly accounted for with population increases or inflation. Oh, and even if it could be accounted for by population increases, those are defensibly due to quality of life investments, which have been largely driven by MAPS.
    Another reality about population increases: loved-one visitation. Most people take vacations to see loved ones and so with people moving here, regardless of the reason, that will guarantee increased tourism.

So even if public projects had a net zero effect on our immigration (which we all know is preposterous), we might as well have things that will draw the increasing number of visitors (based on increasing population) out of those houses and into higher sales-tax generating activity.

3. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Under that example of loved-one visitation: I am getting married late in the Fall. Anticipating 250 guests, and about half of them have not even set foot in Oklahoma, let alone OKC. (Fiancé is from Texas, and I lived awhile on the East Coast before moving back to Oklahoma in 2019; hence why there's a large portion of guests not from here). So, the fact that OKC's growth was enough to get the two of us to move here, each for different reasons, and stick around because we like it here is directly leading to tourist dollars (and I'm sure I'm not the only case for this). I've convinced a number of my first-time visiting friends to stay for multiple days to checkout the city, so I'm hoping it leaves a good impression so that they'll come back to visit. That said, if anyone has no plans the weekend of Nov. 17-19, could be a good time to go downtown and make it feel extra lively to any out-of-towners that happen to be there

Quote Originally Posted by goldenHurricane22 View Post
    Under that example of loved-one visitation: I am getting married late in the Fall. Anticipating 250 guests, and about half of them have not even set foot in Oklahoma, let alone OKC. (Fiancé is from Texas, and I lived awhile on the East Coast before moving back to Oklahoma in 2019; hence why there's a large portion of guests not from here). So, the fact that OKC's growth was enough to get the two of us to move here, each for different reasons, and stick around because we like it here is directly leading to tourist dollars (and I'm sure I'm not the only case for this). I've convinced a number of my first-time visiting friends to stay for multiple days to checkout the city, so I'm hoping it leaves a good impression so that they'll come back to visit. That said, if anyone has no plans the weekend of Nov. 17-19, could be a good time to go downtown and make it feel extra lively to any out-of-towners that happen to be there
    I will be crossing my fingers for you and your guests that it's one of those 75 degree mid-November weekends as opposed to one of those 45 degree mid-November weekends. But I guess that adverse weather is part of the OKC experience in a way, lol. My parents have visited OKC twice in mid-April; one time was the worst weather imaginable, and the other time was pitch perfect. They were super impressed with the amenities of the city on both occasions, at least.

ICF President "very optimistic" over agreement on Los Angeles 2028 venue for canoe slalom
    By Geoff Berkeley at Lake Jels in Denmark Sunday, 3 September 2023

ICF President Thomas Konietzko said his organisation had worked with Los Angeles 2028 for the past six years to find a venue for canoe slalom ©ITG
    International Canoe Federation (ICF) President Thomas Konietzko has said that he is "very optimistic" over a resolution to the location of canoe slalom competition for the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles with Oklahoma City expected to be named host.

Konietzko told insidethegames that he was unable to shed light on discussions over a venue for the discipline but said he anticipated that an announcement would be made "soon".

The Sepulveda Basin Recreation Area in north-western Los Angeles had originally been the frontrunner to stage canoe slalom competition.

There were plans for the sport to be held at a temporary facility at the Valley Sports Park that is set to host equestrian and shooting events during the Games.

However, LA 2028 organisers are considering moving canoe slalom to the Riversport Rapids Whitewater Center in Oklahoma despite being situated more than 1,300 miles outside the city.

The venue has previously hosted the ICF Canoe Sprint Super Cup in 2021 and 2022 and has secured the rights to stage the 2026 Canoe Slalom World Championships.

Konietzko said the ICF had worked with LA 2028 for the past six years to find a potential host and was hopeful that a decision will be announced before the end of the year.

"Unfortunately, it’s not up to us to announce any progress," Konietzko told insidethegames.

The Riversport Rapids Whitewater Center in Oklahoma looks in pole position to secure the hosting rights for the canoe slalom competition
    at Los Angeles 2028 ©Riversport OKC

"It’s up to LA and the potential hosts for slalom events and the kayak cross event but we are very confident that they will announce soon in a package with all other decisions that slalom will be part of the [Games] and where slalom can take place.

"It’s not been frustrating as we have worked very hard for the past five or six years to help LA 28 find a potential organiser since we knew that they were applying for the Games.

"It’s absolutely in line with the new norm - the IOC Agenda 2020+5.

"We made some proposals and now it is up to LA 28 and the potential host to find an agreement but we are very optimistic.

"There are several opportunities, and it is up to LA 28 to find the new best place that gives best results for LA as well."

When the United States last held the Summer Olympics, at Atlanta in 1996, the canoe slalom events were also held outside the host city.

They took place at the Ocoee Whitewater Center in Ducktown in Tennessee, over 100 miles away from Atlanta.

The site for the Los Angeles 2028 canoe sprint events has already been moved from the initially proposed Lake Perris in Riverside County to the Long Beach Marine Stadium, which was for the 1932 Olympics.

It is also due to hold rowing competitions, although on a shortened course of 1,500 metres instead of the traditional 2,000m due to the 2nd Street Bridge.

Exciting! Landing the rowing competitions would have been nice but the slalom events will be great to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Exciting! Landing the rowing competitions would have been nice but the slalom events will be great to have.
    Even if we don't land rowing, the OKC bid means that several big river projects have been moved to the front burner and once complete we will start attracting large rowing events.

That, combined with OKANA, should really move things forward along that stretch of the river.

What is the cost of this and how much would the city/county/state assume? Would there need to be a vote for the city/county/state to kick in money - seems like it will necessarily need to include debt and not be a pay-as-you go with the short timeline. Concerns about this affecting the arena tax vote?

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    What is the cost of this and how much would the city/county/state assume? Would there need to be a vote for the city/county/state to kick in money - seems like it will necessarily need to include debt and not be a pay-as-you go with the short timeline. Concerns about this affecting the arena tax vote?
    That has all yet to be determined.

Keep in mind LA28 would likely kick in money. I suspect most the rest could be covered with corporate donations and volunteers.

Because everything is already built, it would be a matter of adding stands, concessions, and shuttling people in and out of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    For your last question, no, it won't impact the arena vote. Unless the Thunder ownership group does something disastrous, nothing will derail that.

11. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

My brother was one of the torch runners in 89 when that came through here. It would be special to have that again along with the actual Olympics!

Blog Entries

OK River Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Los Angeles has proposed five additional sports for the 2028 Olympic Games: baseball and softball, flag football, cricket, lacrosse and squash.

These have yet to be confirmed by the International Olympic Committee.

LA28 and the IOC will have to announce the final events and venues before the end of the year. Of course, there are a bunch of softball stadiums in Southern California but the largest capacity is only about 1,500 where the one in OKC seats 13,000; we also have 3 fields immediately adjacent for practice and warmups, plus oceans of parking.

LA28 would likely take an existing stadium and add temp bleachers but if softball does get officially announced, perhaps OKC would have an outside chance. It would be a money-maker for LA28 if held in OKC for sure.

Guess we'll be looking for an Olympics bid within the next 20 years at this rate. Not counting the eggs that have yet to be laid, but there is a lot of outside chances the city is taking advantage of. Looking like we may see a lot of infrastructure projects getting pushed to the next fiscal year.

15. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Los Angeles has proposed five additional sports for the 2028 Olympic Games: baseball and softball, flag football, cricket, lacrosse and squash.
    Flag football? Smh

Question that I don't know the answer to: if a few events come to OKC, who books the hotel rooms for the athletes and subsequent other parties? Does the Olympic committee handle that? Would LA28 handle that? Would individual countries do it?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Question that I don't know the answer to: if a few events come to OKC, who books the hotel rooms for the athletes and subsequent other parties? Does the Olympic committee handle that? Would LA28 handle that? Would individual countries do it?
    OKC would have to set up our own committee (probably through the Boathouse Foundation and the CVB) and work with LA28 on all the logistics and standards.

I know local conversations about all this started several months ago.

Expect a formal announcement in December.

My understanding is the whitewater events are a done deal, as I've said all along.

This will be the type of PR you simply can't buy. Such a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Expect a formal announcement in December.

My understanding is the whitewater events are a done deal, as I've said all along.

This will be the type of PR you simply can't buy. Such a huge deal.
    This would have a huge impact on the Arena vote if it happened before the vote.

^

That's a good point. I know the formal planning has to get going in January in order to have the most time possible to prepare -- and that's all event sites, not just OKC.

So, good chance they'll make the events/venues announcement in the early part of the month and probably before the arena vote.

If passed, the arena would be nearing completion by the time of the Olympic games.

Pretty exciting stuff.

Any chance of getting any softball games, now that it's been recommended to be added as a sport in 2028?

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Any chance of getting any softball games, now that it's been recommended to be added as a sport in 2028?
    I think they would try to keep that in LA somewhere. Either in a large baseball field, or at UCLA. It would be amazing to have it here! But I don't think softball facilities are as specialized as the whitewater events will require.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I haven't heard anything about that.

We'll find out for sure in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Flag football? Smh
    I would say usc ought to participate but it would probably be way too physical for them.

25. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

great news. hopefully OKC wins co-hosting with LA for the following sports:

1) all whitewater events
    2) all rowing events
    3) softball

If OKC can get these 3 sports it would be AMAZING, as OKC would be more of a co-host but as a 2nd Olympic city. Also, if we can get the rowing that could expedite the new crossroads of america I-35/I-235 bridge and hopefully encourage development of the Bricktown to OKANA corridor. Olympics will be a HUGE boost to OKC not in just the prestige of co-hosting events with LA (WRWA airport, are you listening!!!) but also the significant infrastructure and investment that will need to happen in 4 years.

Exciting times nonetheless, hope OKC can get all 3.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information