Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Five Guys

Default Re: 5 Guys Burgers & Fries coming to OKC!

went today during the rain and cooler temps...bacon cheeseburger was tasty but (small) fresh bun, cheesy but really couldnt taste the bacon (just added some crunch to it), tomatoes werent ripe (half green and hard). Skin-on fries were plentiful and good. Hot dogs were definitely over priced...asked how big a dog was it for the $3+ to $5+ price and was told, just a regular sized kosher hot dog. For that price I would expect at least a 1/4 pounder or a footlong. Didn't have chili for the dogs either so didn't try them. Value for the money just isn't there.

Had the double patty bacon cheeseburger, fries and small softdrink and total was $12+. Similar tasting food (and more of it) at Big Eds for much less. Not saying I wouldn't go back if I am in the area, but not going to make a special trip for it either. Not when for the same amount there are much better value-for-the-money places out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    went today during the rain and cooler temps...bacon cheeseburger was tasty but (small) fresh bun, cheesy but really couldnt taste the bacon (just added some crunch to it), tomatoes werent ripe (half green and hard). Skin-on fries were plentiful and good. Hot dogs were definitely over priced...asked how big a dog was it for the $3+ to $5+ price and was told, just a regular sized kosher hot dog. For that price I would expect at least a 1/4 pounder or a footlong. Didn't have chili for the dogs either so didn't try them. Value for the money just isn't there.

Had the double patty bacon cheeseburger, fries and small softdrink and total was $12+. Similar tasting food (and more of it) at Big Eds for much less. Not saying I wouldn't go back if I am in the area, but not going to make a special trip for it either. Not when for the same amount there are much better value-for-the-money places out there.
    Maybe so, but not everyone chooses quantity over quality.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Maybe so, but not everyone chooses quantity over quality.
    That's true. There are any number of places with better quality food than 5G, and they all seem to be thriving quite nicely. 5G's biggest claim to fame appears to be a mass quantity of fries, with a reasonably acceptable burger on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    That's true. There are any number of places with better quality food than 5G, and they all seem to be thriving quite nicely. 5G's biggest claim to fame appears to be a mass quantity of fries, with a reasonably acceptable burger on the side.
    Just had another last night but their burgers are definitely above average...One of the better burgers in the metro

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Just had another last night but their burgers are definitely above average...One of the better burgers in the metro
    Agree one of my top 5.

Nics, Tuckers, RePUBlic, Meers, 5 Guys in no particular order, after Nics being #1.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    I love 5 guys, but to say that it's a cheap place to eat is silly. $12 for a burger, fries and drink for 1?
    Nobody's saying they're cheap, but they're not as expensive as some like to make them out to be, either. My dad and I ate at the one in Moore last week, and it was $14-something total. The last time I went by myself I think it was $9-something. Really not that bad.

Matt: what did you get that only cost 2 for $14 and $9 for one?

rcjunkie: value for the money doesn't always mean quantity over quality either. In fact quality is what can make it a better value for the money. But in this case the quality wasn't sufficiently improved to justify the much higher price. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Matt: what did you get that only cost 2 for $14 and $9 for one?
    Well let's see, Mr. Nosey Pants.

I believe I had a Little Cheeseburger, regular order of Cajun fries, and a small drink for $9.

My dad and I had two Little Cheeseburgers, split a regular order of Cajun fries, a small drink, and a water for $14.

LOL..didn't mean to be nosy, just wondering because my bill for justme was over $12

I ate there the other night in Norman and it was OK. For me, my wife and the two boys, it was $30. I wasn't too impressed with the burgers or the fries. I will try it again, but next time I will know not to get the large fries to share.

Five Guys ‏@Five_Guys

Oklahoma City OK is home to the newest Five Guys! NOW OPEN at 2300 West Memorial Suite 160 Oklahoma City OK 73134.

12. Default Re: 5 Guys Burgers & Fries coming to OKC!

Gotta be honest - I still don't get the hype on Five Guys. Went again to one on NW Expressway a couple weeks ago. It was just not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by wallbreaker View Post
    I've got to think that's a mistatement of how AC works. Yes, AC's typically cool the incoming air about 15 degrees. However, they should be recirculating the inside air, and cooling it, so over time it drops. House AC's work the same way, yet my house has remained in the mid 70's during all this 100+ temps.
    I believe newer mechanical codes have higher fresh air rate for commercial installations than residential does, much of it driven by airborne illnesses and spread of those like the Legionaires spread through a hotel system many years ago. Most developers (especially the strip mall variety) spec the absolute bare minimum required for everything, so it wouldn't surprise for the system not to be able to handle the heat, especially if the have a south or west exposure. The windows are probably the bare minimum as well, we had a hard time convincing some developer in Austin to use insulated windows or even coated single pane windows. Not much of an issue now with the newer energy codes coming onto effect (they already are in Austin and here in Colorado) because you will not pass with single pane windows anymore. It has required a tweaking of all building envelope materials.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wallbreaker View Post
    I've got to think that's a mistatement of how AC works. Yes, AC's typically cool the incoming air about 15 degrees. However, they should be recirculating the inside air, and cooling it, so over time it drops. House AC's work the same way, yet my house has remained in the mid 70's during all this 100+ temps.
    OKC design day in summer is 97 F. The system should provide an inside temp of 72 F. There will be heat gain in a restaurant with grilles, etc. also, grille vents will pull much conditioned air out of the inside and evacuate it. If there isn't an energy recovery unit, then the make up air from the outside must be conditioned. As well, load from windows, etc. are calculated. And, people add much heat and humidity. A good engineer or ac person knows how to calculate the load. They also have to design for humidity removal. Sounds like it may be an incompetent technician if they can only achieve 90 degrees on a 105 day.

I went to the one on Memorial today and was really dissapointed. The tables were messy, my burger was a little cold, and the fries were undercooked. I've been to the one on NW Expressway a couple of times and LOVED IT! The Memorial location is really close to where I live so I'll give them another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    I went to the one on Memorial today and was really dissapointed. The tables were messy, my burger was a little cold, and the fries were undercooked. I've been to the one on NW Expressway a couple of times and LOVED IT! The Memorial location is really close to where I live so I'll give them another chance.
    Did you provide feedback to the management staff? I am sure they would like to know if it did not live up to your expectations. The only way management can change things if it is addressed so they are able to provide a resolution. Food is a very subjective thing, but if your burger was cold and fries undercooked, I am sure management would have been happy to make things right.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Did you provide feedback to the management staff? I am sure they would like to know if it did not live up to your expectations. The only way management can change things if it is addressed so they are able to provide a resolution. Food is a very subjective thing, but if your burger was cold and fries undercooked, I am sure management would have been happy to make things right.
    I should have but I didn't. They were pretty busy (probably why the tables were a little messy) and I just didn't feel like bothering with it. This location just opened so I'm sure they are working out the kinks.

Thread Information