Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661 ... LastLast

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: Penn Central

Definitely a game changer for the area. This is the type of development that really moves the needle for the city. The area is already prime with the housing stock, location, and amenities. A great mixed use development in a great area. Doesn’t get much better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Definitely a game changer for the area. This is the type of development that really moves the needle for the city. The area is already prime with the housing stock, location, and amenities. A great mixed use development in a great area. Doesn’t get much better than this.
    Exactly. This is going to be way better than CC.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Yeah, this looks like a really good development. This looks like more of what I had in mind for CC.

It'd be cool if one of those daily office/cubical rental companies moved into one of the upper floors.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    My pie in the sky dream is to bury I-44 from SH-74 to I-235.
    Check this out. OkDOT is going to rebuild that freeway and expand it to 8 lanes in the coming decade. It isn’t a pie in the Sky hope and one that could partially achieved. It likely won’t be built above grade. OkDOT will hold public participation soon. Make sure to stay updated and give them your input.

I’d like to see mostly below grade with areas for a park cap or at least over sized bridges with buildings around them.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    I'm really pumped for this project. Combine this with some walking and biking improvements along the Expressway from Villa to Classen and the BRT - we're looking at a real game changer for this area.

My pie in the sky dream is to bury I-44 from SH-74 to I-235.
    When you say “bury” what do you mean by that? A few ways I’m taking that and I don’t mean to across dense when I ask that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Check this out. OkDOT is going to rebuild that freeway and expand it to 8 lanes in the coming decade. It isn’t a pie in the Sky hope and one that could partially achieved. It likely won’t be built above grade. OkDOT will hold public participation soon. Make sure to stay updated and give them your input.

I’d like to see mostly below grade with areas for a park cap or at least over sized bridges with buildings around them.
    Awesome. Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    When you say “bury” what do you mean by that? A few ways I’m taking that and I don’t mean to across dense when I ask that question.
    Ideally, I would like to see it become a tunnel. But if we could at least get it below grade like US-75 just north of downtown Dallas, that would be a huge win.

I also hope they remove the I-44 eastbound to NW expressway entrance and exit in between Penn and Western. Those are totally unnecessary and are a barrier to any future sidewalks put in that area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	penncentral032019i.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	15339

Wait, so is indicative of something to come?

Quote Originally Posted by gamermp101 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	penncentral032019i.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	15339

Wait, so is indicative of something to come?
    No.

Every conceptual drawing has placeholders like that, typically takeoffs on popular restaurants and retail outlets.

For example, if you look closely at the latest renderings for Chisholm Creek you see a fast food place labeled "Out 'n In".

And on the other Penn Central renderings, the theater name is 'Cinemix' which is just made up.

9. Default Re: Penn Central

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

Unless I am mistaking the I-44 segment you are referring to, they would have a very hard time burying the east 1/2 of the segment (Penn Ave and to the east) because it runs next to Deep Fork Creek. I don't think they could bury it next to a natural creek without great risk and expense. I am all for widening it and improving the SH74, NW Expressway interchanges though.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Unless I am mistaking the I-44 segment you are referring to, they would have a very hard time burying the east 1/2 of the segment (Penn Ave and to the east) because it runs next to Deep Fork Creek. I don't think they could bury it next to a natural creek without great risk and expense. I am all for widening it and improving the SH74, NW Expressway interchanges though.
    I am not an engineer but I have heard the circumstances regarding the reasons for the elevated freeway have changed and there is no longer a need to have it elevated. Elevated freeways(my preferred freeway style over at grade) are more expensive to build and I wouldn’t expect OKDOT to reconstruct it as is unless necessary.

I am not sure if the SH-74 interchange will be included. I believe project extents are from I-235/Broadway Ext. to May Ave. Currently a study is being funded. I suspect we'll hear more in the upcoming years. Maybe we’ll get a surprise or two with the new 8yr plan which will be released in a few months. I hope this project and the I-44/I-40 interchange are the next OKC area projects OkDOT tackles.

Apparently this is now being called Oaks (probably not the official final name, but whatevs)

https://oklahoman.com/article/563629...to-okc-council

I like adding floors to the office building... the name not so much

I'd be happy if it even comes close to what you see in the renderings.

HangryHippo Guest

I was hoping they would retain the existing live oaks and it sounds like they're going to.

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    I like adding floors to the office building... the name not so much
    Anytime I hear oak on a development I just hear The Oaks at Mesa Vista.

This is exciting, obviously they have a letter of intent from a company to lease space in the new development, hence them adding floors to the office mid-rise.

What about this project says "Midwestern values"? What does that even mean in this context? (Putting aside my usual digression about OKC not being the Midwest...)

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    What about this project says "Midwestern values"? What does that even mean in this context? (Putting aside my usual digression about OKC not being the Midwest...)
    They're keeping the Southern Live Oaks on the property while labeling OKC as the Midwest. I love the irony.

But I respect the developers so much for not tearing these trees out; they're in great shape and really add a lot to the property.

This group has already spent a ton of money on the property and seems committed to doing very high-quality work.

They specifically hired this Atlanta architecture firm because they have done several of the best-in-class mixed-use projects in the U.S.

Really anxious to see this move forward. Especially because it will be within walking distance for me!

Pete, do you have the newest renderings on this? That picture in the Oklahoman article looks a bit more substantial then what we have seen up to this point.

This is BLC. Based on the renderings, this is one of the better NEW projects I’ve seen since I moved here from Atlanta in 2017. I’m hoping this turns out right.

Press Release:

Introducing OAK
    New details revealed for walkable, mixed-use community coming to Oklahoma City

OKLAHOMA CITY (July 16, 2019) – After studying the best mixed-use concepts in the nation, engaging
    with the surrounding community and enlisting a world-class team of local and national talent, OKC-area
    native Ryan McNeill today unveiled the project’s official name, team and new insight into the vision.

Welcome to OAK - a departure from typical shopping, dining, working and living. OAK’s walkable,
    experiential design is the first of its kind in the region. More than two miles of sidewalks weave together
    retailers, restaurants, offices, residences, a hotel and a central greenspace that represents the heart of a
    new district in Oklahoma City. Iconic 60-year-old Oak trees that anchor the property near the
    intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and Northwest Expressway inspired the project’s name. The
    programmable open space will serve as a public realm, playing host to both spontaneous and planned
    social gatherings such as outdoor concerts, wellness activities and seasonal events.

“We saw the value in the indigenous Live Oaks and drew our master plan around them,” said McNeill,
    Principal of Veritas. “We are taking a sensory approach to design and focusing on the street-level
    experience – the sights, smells, tastes, sounds and touchpoints that come together to create an
    exceptional pedestrian environment that elevates the quality of life in OKC.”

The idea for OAK started in 2009 when McNeill began assembling the land in what he calls, “the most
    important retail intersection in the State of Oklahoma.” Formerly referred to as Penn Central, OAK will
    rise on nearly 20 acres at 5101 North Pennsylvania Ave., just south of Nichols Hills. The mix of uses
    includes a boutique hotel, shops and restaurants with rooftop dining, Class A office space and luxury
    apartments. OAK is expected to create 1,200 jobs and generate $130 million in revenue for the city.

“The location of the project affords the unique ability to vertically integrate the mix of uses in a way that
    they all thrive and create value for one another,” said McNeill. “Our team is applying the lessons we
    learned by touring the country’s premier mixed-use developments and by meeting with the surrounding
    neighborhoods to create a community destination that is special and unique to Oklahoma City.”

The national design tour featured projects such as The Grove and Americana at Brand in Los Angeles,
    Santana Row in San Jose, Kierland Commons in Scottsdale and Avalon in Metro Atlanta. The OAK team
    includes Wakefield Beasley & Associates, an architecture firm known for its approach to designing
    immersive mixed-use destinations; Site Solutions, a landscape architecture and land planning firm that
    specializes in placemaking; and liquidfish, a digital marketing firm based in Oklahoma City.

Retail and office leasing for OAK is well underway. The team is curating a merchandise mix of local,
    regional and national brands, many of which are first-to-market. Veritas is represented locally by CBRE
    brokers Stuart Graham and Mark Inman for retail leasing while Amy Maclaren, Michael Nagy and
    Elizabeth Herman work national retail accounts. Vicki and Ben Knotts with Newmark | Levy Strange
    Beffort handle the office leasing for the project.

“OAK knits together Midwestern values with best-in-class design,” said Everett Dobson, representing the
    Dobson family, partner with Veritas in the project. “It will be a transformative, regional draw, bringing
    new businesses and unique retail concepts that are seeking to expand in dense, open-air, mixed-use
    environments with public spaces and an active street.”

On June 13, the planning commission unanimously approved the plan for OAK, noting the close
    coordination Veritas maintained with the surrounding neighborhood.

“In all my years on the planning commission, I’ve never known a development group to work so closely
    with the neighborhood,” said Planning Commission Chairperson Janis Powers.

McNeill added, “Our team has hosted dozens of formal and informal neighborhood meetings over eight
    years. The neighborhood has as many fingerprints on our plans as we do.”

The project will be presented to city council later this summer. A new project rendering is available here
    (credit: Wakefield Beasley & Associates).

A website and social media pages have been launched to engage the community and keep the public
    updated on progress. Visit oakokc.com and follow the project on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to
    learn more.

###
    About Veritas Development:
    Veritas Development is a commercial real estate firm that has developed and/or acquired over 425,000-
    square-feet of Class A retail, office and hospitality space with a value of more than $100 million. Ryan
    McNeill, founder of Veritas, is credited for spearheading these efforts, and is currently applying a
    community-driven approach to OAK, a 20-acre experiential mixed-use development in Oklahoma City.
    The McNeill family has been part of the Oklahoma community for generations, and has interests in oil
    and gas, banking and other real estate investments.

About OAK:
    Nestled within a city on the rise, OAK is a new type of community unlike anything in the region, destined
    to change the way life is lived in Oklahoma. OAK is Oklahoma City’s comfortable, walkable mixed-use
    development where more than two miles of sidewalks weave together first-to-market retailers,
    restaurants with rooftop dining, Class A office, luxury residences, a boutique hotel, and a central
    greenspace that is the heart of a district unfurling with opportunity. Here, sprawling live oak trees
    stretch upward to invite a region, a city and a community to an invigorating weekday-to-weekend
    destination where living, creating, playing and working in one connected environment is always in full
    bloom. To learn more about OAK, visit www.oakokc.com and follow on Twitter, Facebook and
    Instagram.

24. Default Re: Penn Central

Love this development, especially the increase in density/height!!

Loved Penn Central as the name much better, OAK is going to be a bit weird to get used to. Cheers!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

25. Default Re: Penn Central

btw, it doesn't look like the main building is higher number of floors per say but that the office building is incorporated on top of the garage.

Anyway, I'll still take it and wish downtown developers would build like this!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information