Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Dream Hotels (Uhaul lot)

Since this is a very sizeable project and they are seeking public assistance, I'm sure they are still in negotiations with the Alliance for Economic Development (the gatekeeper and clearinghouse for most of the local incentives) to finalize terms.

This is important because it will allow them to finalize their budget and solicit preliminary construction bids and that will determine if they want to tweak their plans.

Once they have the somewhat final plan, the architects and engineers will develop detailed plans which first have to be reviewed by the Alliance and ultimately City Council.

I wouldn't expect to see detailed renderings and plans for at least a month and maybe several months.

2. Default Re: Dream Hotels (Uhaul lot)

In the last few weeks I’ve had unrelated meetings and conversations with multiple people directly involved with this project in different capacities and it is indeed very real and remains on track.

That’s not a guarantee that it will happen, but there is no reason whatsoever to be concerned about there not being publicly-available plans for this project right now.

I found this site plan.

It shows they plan to convert all the remaining parking to the west of Harkins to valet.

HangryHippo Guest

The site plan really makes me wish this group could get the U-Haul building and move the "boulevard" entrance back to Oklahoma Ave.

I was thinking the same thing. That U-Haul building is a barrier and hinders sound development. Hopefully after this project is complete & successful. Randy Hogan can buy them out and redevelopment that site to something great.

6. Default Re: Dream Hotels (Uhaul lot)

^^^^^^^^
    That building is in a remarkable state of preservation underneath the metal siding they installed a couple of decades ago. As in, fully intact original casement windows, hardwood floors that are painted but in otherwise remarkable condition, etc.. Very few significant alterations inside or out. The storage units inside are simple sheetrock and plywood boxes sitting on the floors. Demo would take an afternoon with a Bobcat (OK, that’s a bit of an exaggeration but it would be quite simple and straightforward).

It could relatively easily be a spectacular redevelopment a la 21C, or amazing loft housing. It’s a hidden gem. That said, I’m more concerned about a developer acquiring it and knocking it down rather than redeveloping it. I’d rather it sit as-is (not the best adaptive re-use but still occupied with enough revenue to provide for upkeep) than get into the hands of someone inexperienced with or antagonistic toward historic properties.

Now that building such as the Skirvin, Ford Model T assembly plant (21C) and FNC have been saved it is really one of the last remaining large-scale historic downtown properties that have true game-changing redevelopment potential.

Nice, but to the average person its just a storage unit....lol

Agree 100% with Urbanized. It would be a devastating loss to lose the U-Haul building. I’d rather lose this entire hotel/apartment development than lose that building.

9. Default Re: Dream Hotels (Uhaul lot)

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Nice, but to the average person its just a storage unit....lol
    Not sure I get the point you’re attempting to make. I’m certainly not saying its current programming is the highest and best use of the building. Only that it has a ton of redevelopment potential and that the current use preserves the opportunity for the right adaptive reuse to present itself.

For those who don’t know, here is a refresher on what is under the sheet metal siding, and preserved in a near-pristine manner:

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    That building is in a remarkable state of preservation underneath the metal siding they installed a couple of decades ago. As in, fully intact original casement windows, hardwood floors that are painted but in otherwise remarkable condition, etc.. Very few significant alterations inside or out. The storage units inside are simple sheetrock and plywood boxes sitting on the floors. Demo would take an afternoon with a Bobcat (OK, that’s a bit of an exaggeration but it would be quite simple and straightforward).

It could relatively easily be a spectacular redevelopment a la 21C, or amazing loft housing. It’s a hidden gem. That said, I’m more concerned about a developer acquiring it and knocking it down rather than redeveloping it. I’d rather it sit as-is (not the best adaptive re-use but still occupied with enough revenue to provide for upkeep) than get into the hands of someone inexperienced with or antagonistic toward historic properties.

Now that building such as the Skirvin, Ford Model T assembly plant (21C) and FNC have been saved it is really one of the last remaining large-scale historic downtown properties that have true game-changing redevelopment potential.
    Just to be clear, I knew this and I want it saved and converted to something other than storage. And I thought the people behind the Dream project might have the pockets for it. I do not want to lose it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I found this site plan.

It shows they plan to convert all the remaining parking to the west of Harkins to valet.

That valet lot change is going to be annoying, speaking as a regular patron of Harkins who always parks in that lot.

I guess the Haul building is very profitable. Apparently the owners (out of state) value it highly. Seems odd since there is minimal drive area. I do think the highest and best use would be conversion to a mixed use. Last I heard, the City of OKC offered pretty good $ but the owners wanted a lot more.....

I'd much rather see the U-Haul building have it's walls exposed again and converted to a big mixed use building than be what it is now. Especially if they can make it look as good as the 21C

14. Default Re: Dream Hotels (Uhaul lot)

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    I guess the Haul building is very profitable. Apparently the owners (out of state) value it highly. Seems odd since there is minimal drive area. I do think the highest and best use would be conversion to a mixed use. Last I heard, the City of OKC offered pretty good $ but the owners wanted a lot more.....
    It stays completely filled up as a storage facility, and not a cheap one. And the U-haul rental is among the busiest in town, probably owing to central location and the fact that many renting U-hauls do so online or on the phone rather than driving around town looking for a U-haul rental.

I have no insight regarding the ownership’s finances, but I’d guess there’s a good chance the building is completely paid for. I’m sure they are in a very strong financial position with that building and business. For years I’ve felt the best way to get them to let go would likely be to agree to build a comparable facility for them elsewhere, and then swap (probably with significant additional cash incentive). Otherwise, why would they leave?

You can’t just shut down a viable business and take away property for redevelopment because you’d like for it to be something else. The property is in no way derelict.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Uhaul Lot

All of us would love to see different aesthetics to the uhaul building, but we also need to acknowledge it performs a vital and integral service for the development of downtown as a population center. With smaller residences and for businesses there is a great need for storage space. They actually facilitate development.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	251 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	17262Click image for larger version. 

Views:	243 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	17263Click image for larger version. 

Views:	247 
Size:	361.0 KB 
ID:	17264
    https://floridayimby.com/2021/12/mv-...own-miami.html

Thought Id share this
    The development is projected to break ground in 2022 and be completed by 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post

Thought Id share this
    As much as I want to have blinding faith in the development of this project, I have to say that I am a bit skeptical of the potential final design. If it all comes to be, all I can see this location being a monumental step-down from it's various sister locations.

If you take the Omni into perspective, ours looks like a step-down to the may others in that chain. Granted they could look to upgrade, but they could also stand pat and remain satisfied with what's currently established.

Here's to me being wrong when the final renders come out. I hope that will be the case.

All of the Dream hotels have an amazing design. If we get a scaled back design for OKC it’ll definitely curb my enthusiasm a bit for this town. The Omni is nice but I do wish it were taller and better designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    All of the Dream hotels have an amazing design. If we get a scaled back design for OKC it’ll definitely curb my enthusiasm a bit for this town. The Omni is nice but I do wish it were taller and better designed.
    You're not the only one. It's like one side is pretty with all the LED lights for every two floors to decorate the building, great view of the park, all that. Then the other side is like this bleak Soviet Union era gulag. I understand there's SUPPOSED to be a mixed development beside it that would distract from all that concrete, but you can see that iron curtain of a wall all the way from the Wheeler District. I know the inside is nice, but it's like they put the effort into three of four of the sides to look good.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    You're not the only one. It's like one side is pretty with all the LED lights for every two floors to decorate the building, great view of the park, all that. Then the other side is like this bleak Soviet Union era gulag. I understand there's SUPPOSED to be a mixed development beside it that would distract from all that concrete, but you can see that iron curtain of a wall all the way from the Wheeler District. I know the inside is nice, but it's like they put the effort into three of four of the sides to look good.
    We’re not Dallas, but they at least put effort into making that Omni’s exterior design. The exterior of ours is rough.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    We’re not Dallas, but they at least put effort into making that Omni’s exterior design. The exterior of ours is rough.
    I think it's worth noting that the City of Dallas owns that hotel and it is just operated by Omni.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Txag View Post
    I think it's worth noting that the City of Dallas owns that hotel and it is just operated by Omni.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Nobody here has said we’re Dallas though.

Omni Frisco Hotel is pretty much the same concept as OKC's

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post

Thought Id share this
    I am not a fan of that design, it seems like a party club instead of a hotel

Thread Information