Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Blowing and raining pretty hard here in central OKC.

Not too bad around 50th & Lincoln. Maybe 40-50 mph gusts.

Storms collapsed as they were just W of OKC. Spared a lot of damage across the metro. Getting a decent drink, though!

This will also setup the evening for amazing patio weather for OKC tonight. Enjoy these temps! Tomorrow we bake.

I don't know if it's the wet weather causing it but I find the flying bug infestation makes it impossible to enjoy doing much outside in the evenings especially when the wind dies down 1-2 hours before sunset. Especially if I'm out in my yard. I'm seeing 106 for Wednesday and 103 for Thursday being predicted.

5. Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

I watched it pour at our house for a half hour or so on the cameras. We needed it. There was a water main break yesterday and the street was covered in mud. Looks like most of it washed away.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I don't know if it's the wet weather causing it but I find the flying bug infestation makes it impossible to enjoy doing much outside in the evenings especially when the wind dies down 1-2 hours before sunset. Especially if I'm out in my yard. I'm seeing 106 for Wednesday and 103 for Thursday being predicted.
    The mosquitos have been absolutely insufferable in my back yard in the evenings.

Looking at Mesonet, you wouldn't think it has rained at all in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    The mosquitos have been absolutely insufferable in my back yard in the evenings.
    The mosquitos were going after my cat!

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Looking at Mesonet, you wouldn't think it has rained at all in OKC.
    Same story, different verse. The airport showed we got .53 yesterday. Wonder if the Mesonet stations showed. .01.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Same story, different verse. The airport showed we got .53 yesterday. Wonder if the Mesonet stations showed. .01.
    I'm about 4 miles east of the airport and my rain gauge picked up 0.44" yesterday. Today, I'm at 0.30" and counting.

It is crazy how bad these Mesonet stations are at getting rain totals right.

It is crazy how bad these Mesonet stations are at getting rain totals right.
    Are you being facetious?

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Are you being facetious?
    No. Not 1 bit. I live about 4 miles west of the OKC east Mesonet gauge, and my house has gotten close to, if not more than, an inch of rain since yesterday. The Mesonet says .39". There is a major disconnect.

14. Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

No. Not 1 bit. I live about 4 miles west of the OKC east Mesonet gauge, and my house has gotten close to, if not more than, an inch of rain since yesterday. The Mesonet says .39". There is a major disconnect.
    I've literally been on one side of a street and it's pouring. The other side of the street is dry. I can absolutely see the possibility of an inch difference in 4 miles.

15. Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I've literally been on one side of a street and it's pouring. The other side of the street is dry. I can absolutely see the possibility of an inch difference in 4 miles.
    Yep.... I was fishing a tournament one day and saw a boat on the other side of a cove get caught in a downpour and a drop of rain never fell in my boat.... 2nd craziest thing I ever saw while fishing.

I’ll take these surprise MCS’s every day for the rest of the summer if this is the temperatures we have.

I almost feel bad for the folks in Texas who are cooking right now, but you know what? I don’t. We cooked all last summer and most summers prior to that. I would rather the heat be down there over them right now as opposed to sitting on top of us.

And more overnight? This will help keep the state from burning to a crisp over the summer.

The pattern appears to be moving toward being more active the second week of July

It would be nice if the Mesonet added more stations across the OKC Metro to get better data across the city other than 2 stations in OKC East and Spencer. Payne County has twice as many sites.

I just want the humidity to go away. And the bugs to go back to the fiery chasm from which they came.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    It would be nice if the Mesonet added more stations across the OKC Metro to get better data across the city other than 2 stations in OKC East and Spencer. Payne County has twice as many sites.
    Yeah there used to be two other Mesonet stations in OKC - OKC West, on Portland between Reno and NW 10th, near where the OSU Mid Campus is now (retired in 2015); and OKC North, on Broadway Extension between Wilshire and Britton, just west of the new Dolese building in The Half development (retired in 2018). There's a full list of all retired Mesonet stations on the Oklahoma Mesonet website. There also used to be a network of 40 small weather stations scattered across OKC, usually mounted to traffic lights, called the OKC Micronet; that was decommissioned in 2013 (if memory serves, the Micronet stations depended on the OKC municipal wifi network that was decommissioned around this time in favor of cellular data).

I've always assumed that OSU is a large part of the reason why there are so many sites in the Stillwater vicinity. OKC's coverage level is basically on par with the rest of the state, IMO.

Pretty thick out there today.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I've always assumed that OSU is a large part of the reason why there are so many sites in the Stillwater vicinity. OKC's coverage level is basically on par with the rest of the state, IMO.
    I assume it's because OSU owns lots of farmland, including near Perkins for growing cotton in the recent past where there is still a station. But why only one station in Cleveland County where OU and the NWS is headquartered?

With how isolated storms can be in Oklahoma, I wonder how accurate our historical data is if we do not have high resolution of collection.

Thread Information