Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Park (Softball Hall of Fame)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

USA Hall of Fame Stadium

Alliance Fast Pitch Championship Series » July 24 - August 1, 2021

Men's Major Fast Pitch National Championship » August 6-8, 2021

Men's C Slow Pitch National Championship » August 27-29, 2021

Men's B Slow Pitch National Championship » September 3-4, 2021

Men's A Slow Pitch National Championship » September 5-6, 2021

Link - Hotel Partners: https://www.teamusa.org/usa-softball...hotel-partners

I was at the games on Thursday. Here are some things that need to be updated/addressed.

PA System, Ribbon score boards above both dugouts to see from the outfield, shade structure, food/drink management needs improved (lunchtime games do not help. Lines were about 20 minutes long)

If OU wins today, is it possible to buy tickets for the game tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    You can buy tickets on Stub Hub or Ticket City. Search for Women's College World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Yes. Use the official ticketing system through AXS. Your tickets are loaded onto the AXS app.

https://www.axs.com/venues/126917/us...a-city-tickets

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Softball Hall of Fame

University of Oklahoma 7 - James Madison University 0

Lady Sooners advance to the WCWS finals against the winner of FSU - Alabama.

^
    hey now... i think you docked james madison a point there! : )

8. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsteve View Post
    Reminds me of some of the past OU football teams that were a juggernaut on offense with first rounders and Heisman trophy winners and then fell completely flat when they made the playoffs or BCS championship games and faced someone with a good defense. This Softball team was being called one of the best ever with player of the year, freshman of the year, leading in all major offensive categories and one of the best defensive teams as well then plays an unseeded team and gets suffocated by a pitcher. Thankfully its double elimination or this would have been one of the most embarrassing and worst upsets in softball history. We still have a shot of course but our pitching makes me very nervous. The reason all the OU pitchers have such great records is because they simply blew everyone out. IÂ’m not giving up but this was a gut punch and now the losers bracket is very very difficult
    Feeling better yet?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ^
    hey now... i think you docked james madison a point there! : )
    Correction

Thanks for calling this to my attention.

University of Oklahoma 7 - James Madison University 1

Lady Sooners advance to the WCWS finals against Florida State University; an 8 - 5 winner over Alabama.

Blog Entries

University of Oklahoma opens the championship series against Florida State University at 6:00 or 6:30 p.m., ESPN2 in a best of three.

Tickets were purchased. Very few cheap seats left. Seems like this will sell out.

Blog Entries

Can't wait to get the final attendance figures for the tournament.

This is an event our city needs to pursue for future investments and promotions instead of waiting anywhere near the 2035 NCAA renewal date; this event will continue to grow and get bigger, a future feasibility study needs to be conducted soon using MAPS 5 Initiative (2028) as a funding mechanism for possible expansion/renovation plan.

Also, the events that Hall of Fame Stadium will host in August & September of this year (See post #251), this venue will be used. Things like the PA system and other concerns (parking) need to be addressed immediately for the 2022 WCWS. Do we need a parking garage...

You don't want cities like Las Vegas, Dallas, Houston or New Orleans getting ideas about trying to lure this signature event to 'Sin City' or to a domed stadium which could provide cover.

ESPN definitely needs to build safeguard options into future scheduling to account for rain or rain delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Can't wait to get the final attendance figures for the tournament.

This is an event our city needs to pursue for future investments and promotions instead of waiting anywhere near the 2035 NCAA renewal date; this event will continue to grow and get bigger, a future feasibility study needs to be conducted soon using MAPS 5 Initiative (2028) as a funding mechanism for possible expansion/renovation plan.

Also, the events that Hall of Fame Stadium will host in August & September of this year (See post #251), this venue will be used. Things like the PA system and other concerns (parking) need to be addressed immediately for the 2022 WCWS. Do we need a parking garage...

You don't want cities like Las Vegas, Dallas, Houston or New Orleans getting ideas about trying to lure this signature event to 'Sin City' or to a domed stadium which could provide cover.

ESPN definitely needs to build safeguard options into future scheduling to account for rain or rain delays.
    Agree with these points. Continue to Invest in this gem of an event as you stated it will only grow. I became interested in softball or course because of OU, but now even if OU not in it i will follow. My wife and I have watched all televised games. Great publicity for OKC and with the growth and development taking place, the city will on get better in accomodations and attractions for events like this. Just wish one thing the area around the fantastic stadium were more developed

Fast-pitch softball is simply a much better spectator sport than baseball, and I grew up playing baseball and still love that game.

Softball is fast with lots of action. The games move quickly and usually don't last much more than 2 hours.

And women show an open enthusiasm that is cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

University of Oklahoma opens the championship series against Florida State University at 6:00 or 6:30 p.m., ESPN2 in a best of three.

game is at 6:30 (first pitch 6:34) and it is on ESPN

I have tickets for Wednesday. What are the parking options? Couple years ago they had a shuttle from Remington Park. Is that still the case? As far as tickets go. https://www.ncaatickets.com/champion...e-world-series Looks like you can get 2 together for $50 each? just pulled up 2 for the outfield for tonight $35 each better jump on them if you want them. It's 9:30am

^

Exit MLK from I-44 and park at Remington Park.

It's an easy walk over and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Fast-pitch softball is simply a much better spectator sport than baseball, and I grew up playing baseball and still love that game.

Softball is fast with lots of action. The games move quickly and usually don't last much more than 2 hours.

And women show an open enthusiasm that is cool to see.
    Concur. I enjoy watching softball way more than baseball. It is a faster game with more action. I just don't have time anymore to watch a four hour baseball game.

I believe there a market for a national softball league akin to the MLB. I know there is a professional softball league, but I belive it can grow. Softball is just a different game than baseball.

I remember my first time ever watching was when I was with a friend of mine and OU-Alabama were playing (in 2012, I think). Tuned in because "nothing else was on" but then we wound up really engaged and watched the whole series. Was funny how fast we went from, "eh, whatever" to "wow, this is really, really awesome!" in a span of maybe 15 minutes.

I've watched it every year since. Would love to go in person.

^

I went last week and that was my first time in person. It's a great atmosphere because you have fans from lots of different teams there.

Now that I've learned the parking trick (Remington Park) I'll go more often.

21. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Concur. I enjoy watching softball way more than baseball. It is a faster game with more action. I just don't have time anymore to watch a four hour baseball game.

I believe there a market for a national softball league akin to the MLB. I know there is a professional softball league, but I belive it can grow. Softball is just a different game than baseball.
    I played slow pitch tournament ball for many years, including a couple of national championship tournaments - many years ago and agree the atmosphere is totally different than MLB. Having people from many different locations makes it more of a festival atmosphere. Softball is not only much faster than MLB but because the players are amateur and students they absolutely give their 100%. The girls game has also improved tremendously, skill levels have improved and the girls can make some outrageously great plays.

From Colorado, the park, the surrounding area and the city showed up very nicely.

I'll repeat a couple of major issues already mentioned. Those midnight games were totally wrong. Take it from pro-golf and schedule earlier the next day. Also, play can be so fast, replay cams are needed for the WCWS.

The biggest knock on fast-pitch softball was that it was almost always low-scoring.

That has changed in the last several years but at the same time, the games still move fast and don't last 3-4 hours.

It's really is fun to watch.

Blog Entries

IMO, a group in OKC needs to put together the resources to start an expansion NFP team in OKC (I think when I last researched it was "only" 200K). The softball capital should have pro softball.

I'm seeing people posting some huge lines to get in tonight. Any tips are when it's best to go. I'll do the Remington park trick but I'll take the shuttle . I would imagine getting there shortly after the gates open is better

There is always a big line in the center of the stadium.

Walk past that and move to one of the gates at the west or east end. It doesn't matter which gate you use.

Thread Information