Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Battery Plant

Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

McDonald's jobs. Are you a serious human being?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I like this quote “You can call it a failure and let it discourage you- Or you can call it experience and let it teach you.” Need to step back and find the next opportunity
    The Powers that Be said the Tesla 'experience' would help us the next time around.

I no longer trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Semiconductors are vital to almost every product and business these days.

We're seen the strong effect of constrained production over the last couple of years, and it's beyond the control of the U.S. as we produce only about 12% of the global market, down from 37% just 20 years ago.
    Yes and imagine what will happen if China invades Taiwan? It's almost a matter of national security at this point. Really hope OK can find a way to capitalize on it.

As I've stated before, OKC has been charting its own course with a lot of success.

Missing out on big manufacturing opportunities has a much bigger impact on Tulsa and rural areas because they don't have a lot of momentum around economic development. Those areas also lack the massive economic engines of the State and Tinker that bless Central Oklahoma.

As much as I'd like to see the state become more competitive, if Oklahomans keep electing rednecks, grifters, and culture warriors then they'll continue to get exactly what they deserve.
    This is spot on.

Coincidentally I just saw this article and it doesn’t surprise me: https://kfor.com/news/local/cnbc-okl...-for-business/

6. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by ABryant View Post
    McDonald's jobs. Are you a serious human being?
    Quite serious. What is your problem?

Re-reading that Panasonic release, this struck me:

Could it be that Oklahoma is so tied up in fossil fuels that companies built around renewal energy question the state's ongoing commitment to their industry?

Just something to think about.
    LOL. Well considering that they were going to put the plant in a spot that runs primarily on Hydroelectric, Wind and Natural Gas as a back up...that just sounds like posturing.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Ever notice that almost everything Oklahoma "wins" never pans out long term? Auto, Printing, GE etc?

9. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    LOL! You would think after years of having this pointed out to him, he would figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    LOL! You would think after years of having this pointed out to him, he would figure it out.
    LOL...

Oh well, guess we'll just go screw ourselves then

To be fair, it isn't like this was going in downtown Tulsa or in Tulsa at all. It would've been in Pryor which would be like saying OKC struck out and languishing over something that decided not to build in Shawnee or somewhere between Purcell and Pauls Valley, between Guthrie and Stillwater or between El Reno and Weatherford. It definitely would've been great for Tulsa and the NE part of the state, but it's extremely dramatic to act like this is specifically some poor reflection of Tulsa or Tulsa's fault.

It is however, absolutely a poor reflection of where our state is right now. That would've been a perfect location between access to the port, cheap electricity, closer to Tesla, etc. No good logistical reason they should've chosen Kansas over NE OK
    You're right, after stepping away from it for a few days. Bit of an overreaction on my part lol. Still disappointed.

12. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Coincidentally I just saw this article and it doesn’t surprise me: https://kfor.com/news/local/cnbc-okl...-for-business/
    I saw that but they missed the mark. You really have to look at economic development as a region. The state does bring funding to the table on some projects but the region coming together is where the rubber meets the road. Oklahoma City as well as the ten county region have done a great job of working with the consultants and site selectors who start the ball rolling on economic development projects. Their bringing higher ed and the career techs together to form a compact so that for the first time ever we know what skill sets are coming out of the pipeline. Working with companies to crank out the skill sets they need for now and the future. Improving infrastructure and making this region a desirable place to live. The state does not do this. When you look at the state as a whole it does not give you this picture but when you focus in on the region it comes to light. It is a reflection of leadership, vision and funding this regions has.

LOL, I don't get much value from the top ten worst states to live in because half of them, such as Texas, are doing quite well, economically. Life is how you make it. If you're not making it, it must be time to move out of those states, if there. Too many people not doing well and not doing anything about it drives down the quality-of-life statistics in those states.

Otherwise, Oklahomans badly need to let go of voting for Republicans in Nov. They have well proven that they actually want anti-abortion laws as draconian or worse as those found in backward third world countries, such as Iraq. Republicans have actually said they don't mind Oklahoma losing economically from having such laws. Rumor at the state capitol even has it that they want to ban sales of birth control except for married women.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It would help raise the Oklahoma standard of living by raising the state minimum wage from $7.25. In Arkansas it's $11. But Oklahomans for years have been more interested in petitioning to get pot legalized. Oh, well, tax revenue from legalizing rec pot would probably help clear the way to get rid of tax on food. Doing that would also help raise the standard of living.

Yes and imagine what will happen if China invades Taiwan? It's almost a matter of national security at this point. Really hope OK can find a way to capitalize on it.
    China will not invade Taiwan and the US would never risk a war with China

The US government recognizes Taiwan as part of China

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It would help raise the Oklahoma standard of living by raising the state minimum wage from $7.25. In Arkansas it's $11. But Oklahomans for years have been more interested in petitioning to get pot legalized. Oh, well, tax revenue from legalizing rec pot would probably help clear the way to get rid of tax on food. Doing that would also help raise the standard of living.
    How about $20 an hour minimum wage? It’s 2022 and $20 an hour is what the minimum wage would be at it if it kept up with workers productivity and inflation

$41k a year is not a ton of money and after taxes you are in the upper $30k range

Small local companies should get subsidies and huge corporations should contribute to those subsidies but we live in a kleptocracy

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I saw that but they missed the mark. You really have to look at economic development as a region. The state does bring funding to the table on some projects but the region coming together is where the rubber meets the road. Oklahoma City as well as the ten county region have done a great job of working with the consultants and site selectors who start the ball rolling on economic development projects. Their bringing higher ed and the career techs together to form a compact so that for the first time ever we know what skill sets are coming out of the pipeline. Working with companies to crank out the skill sets they need for now and the future. Improving infrastructure and making this region a desirable place to live. The state does not do this. When you look at the state as a whole it does not give you this picture but when you focus in on the region it comes to light. It is a reflection of leadership, vision and funding this regions has.
    OKC has to fight against the negative perceptions of the state. I agree there is good work being done, and has been done. But imagine how much better we would be doing if we weren't having to push a boulder uphill.

It doesn't help us that our governor has an obvious preference for steering everything toward Tulsa and is openly hostile to OKC, as he is the tribes. Of course, despite this, he hasn't been successful at helping Tulsa or really any region of the state. He is more interested in PR and pumping ideology than getting anything done.

I was hopeful he would actually be a pragmatic leader who would do what he can to improve the state but that isn't the case obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Very reasonable response. Hopefully this spurs some change because the status quo isn't working.

20. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    China will not invade Taiwan and the US would never risk a war with China

Having family from this area, I can speak with a bit of clarity here. The US does NOT recognize Taiwan as part of China, instead, they recognize that there is One China and it is the PRC. And they 'respect' that China claims Taiwan. This is not an acceptance and the US does not refer to Taiwan as a province of the PRC. In fact, the US has the Taiwan Relations Act and several others, that dictate relations for Taiwan and it's defense against the PRC. This piece is becoming more clearly defined given the PRCs "agression" but the truth is they're a paper tiger so the US can maintain status quo by being ambiguous up to now.

I can keep going on about this but truth is Taiwan was never part of the PRC, which didn't exist when the US forced Japan to give up Taiwan. Just like Hong Kong was not part of the PRC either - that agreement was with the Qing Dynasty just like the Taiwan concession was with the Kuomingtang - Republic of China, who ended up relocating to the island.

So to correct your statement, "China will not invade Taiwan, and the US would never WANT a war with China at the moment, the US government recognizes the PRC as China and Taiwan as the Republic of China". This is also proven by action.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

21. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    OKC has to fight against the negative perceptions of the state. I agree there is good work being done, and has been done. But imagine how much better we would be doing if we weren't having to push a boulder uphill.

It doesn't help us that our governor has an obvious preference for steering everything toward Tulsa and is openly hostile to OKC, as he is the tribes. Of course, despite this, he hasn't been successful at helping Tulsa or really any region of the state. He is more interested in PR and pumping ideology than getting anything done.

I was hopeful he would actually be a pragmatic leader who would do what he can to improve the state but that isn't the case obviously.
    I found it amusing that he pushed the Oklahoma Film office to Tulsa. 99% of Tulsa King is being produced in OKC. Prairie surf is here and doing a ton of projects. They are driving the opening of an OK Film office in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post

this is not remotely so black and white ..

23. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Stitt has pushed MOST things to the Tulsa area. Not saying they shouldn't get any love but Oklahoma City is the state capital and the largest city by far, and Stitt is largely ignoring it in favor of his hometown.

He should promote the strengths of Oklahoma: in this case, OKC is the burgeoning film center of the state so OKC should be getting that love; Tulsa is more manufacturing so I had no problem with the Canoo, Panasonic, etc promos. Although it is my opinion that had Oklahoma promoted OKC for the location it would have won. If we want to compete and WIN against other states, OKC is our best chance on most sectors.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Stitt has pushed MOST things to the Tulsa area. Not saying they shouldn't get any love but Oklahoma City is the state capital and the largest city by far, and Stitt is largely ignoring it in favor of his hometown.

He should promote the strengths of Oklahoma: in this case, OKC is the burgeoning film center of the state so OKC should be getting that love; Tulsa is more manufacturing so I had no problem with the Canoo, Panasonic, etc promos. Although it is my opinion that had Oklahoma promoted OKC for the location it would have won. If we want to compete and WIN against other states, OKC is our best chance on most sectors.
    Oklahoma City has a lot of momentum for a number of reasons already. If Stitt were successful in getting even one or two big employers into the Tulsa area, it would help the Tulsa area get the momentum it needs. So, I really don't mind Stitt trying to get movement there. But like I mentioned in another thread, I'd like to see OKC, Tulsa, Woodward, Enid, Lawton, and Ardmore all have growth momentum.

Ralph Nader's recent podcast was interesting where he interviewed a guest who is an expert on government given incentives. He said, "We have to back up and remember that we should never assume these things “work.” And I put the word “work” in quotes because the truth is— and people who make their living helping companies shake down governments will admit this if you ask them— incentives almost never determine where companies actually choose to expand or locate. They don’t, because they can’t, because state and local taxes are a microscopic cost variable for the average company." The interview can be heard here starting at the 34 minute mark: https://www.ralphnaderradiohour.com/?
    powerpress_pinw=6304-podcast

The Kansas City start did an article on Panasonic. It said Kansas City's much bigger work force than Tulsa's was in part. It also said the project was almost canceled, due to inflation: https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...263445783.html

Thread Information