Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

At many places in Wisconsin, they actually put huge pats of butter on the patty before serving them.

They may use lard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    At many places in Wisconsin, they actually put huge pats of butter on the patty before serving them.

They may use lard as well.
    That is an old chefs trick to "stuff" the patty with a pat of butter or bacon drippings, this helps the well done burgers remain juicy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Maybe the best in the metro. Wow, they sure are good! And don't forget about the real fries.
    One of my lads and a few of my friends would agree with you. Me, not so much. I don't think their food is bad, but it's not the place that gets selected if I'm doing the picking.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Where I'm at right now, it's tough to get a good burger that reminds you of home. I know unequivocally the first place I want to go when I get back to Oklahoma is Nic's. Here's hoping I get back sometime between 10-2, in that case..
    This is because USUALLY you buy a package of ground beef, it's double ground and you can individal strands. You use your hand to form a "loose" patty and it appears Nic's does the same. Restaurants have several choices of methods to how they form their patty, but it's common to for the last step to eventually be pressed tight into a form.

Quote Originally Posted by tburn View Post
    I did a quick search in this thread and didnt' see any mention of S&B's Burger Joint!

They have been open about 1 year - They are at NW 59th & May -- ground floor of the office building that is in the parking lot near Best Buy. (Previously Electro Lounge). They make great full size burgers and sliders -- creative toppings and each week a new special feature burger. Their "Fatty" is made like the onion burgers in El Reno!

Tuesdays they do a "pay it forward" and pick a local charity and donate proceeds for that day.
    Yeah, S & B was the first place that came to mind when I read the title of this thread. It's great cause I can get my "gourmet" toppings, and my BF can get his plain (boring ;-)) burger - and we are both perfectly happy. Good side choices, great beer list, creative mixed drink menu, and awesome music. I love this place!!

6. Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by tburn
    I did a quick search in this thread and didnt' see any mention of S&B's Burger Joint!

They have been open about 1 year - They are at NW 59th & May -- ground floor of the office building that is in the parking lot near Best Buy. (Previously Electro Lounge). They make great full size burgers and sliders -- creative toppings and each week a new special feature burger. Their "Fatty" is made like the onion burgers in El Reno!

Tuesdays they do a "pay it forward" and pick a local charity and donate proceeds for that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerfangirl View Post
    Yeah, S & B was the first place that came to mind when I read the title of this thread. It's great cause I can get my "gourmet" toppings, and my BF can get his plain (boring ;-)) burger - and we are both perfectly happy. Good side choices, great beer list, creative mixed drink menu, and awesome music. I love this place!!
    Excellent burgers at The Burger Joint! Actually, it's still Electro Lounge. They just pull a Clark Kent In A Phone Booth at 7pm. Something I didn't know until just a couple of weeks ago is that The Burger Joint burgers are still available after 7 until 10 or 11 even after they've switched into "club mode." You can call in and do it as a take-out.

I've been on a burger kick since the past couple of weeks...I tried:

Fat Elvis's, very greasy, not a bad thing, better than average.
    Toby Keith's I love this bar, good, not great
    Coach's BBQ, Steaks, Pizza and Beer, second best burger I had. Cheap beer, fun atmosphere.
    Irma's regular (not the no name) burger, better than average
    Bricktown Brewery, awful, don't even bother, from the freezer to your plate
    Harry Hudsons, just average.
    Kaisers, better than average, but my buddy said it's the best he's ever had.

I'm going to have to try McNellies again this time SOBER as I thought it's been the best burger I've tried so far. Plan on trying RuPUBlic, the Paseo grill which uses tenderlion (filet mignon), Ima's chicken fries then will try the other places you guys have recommended.

Gave McNellies a second try today. I stick to my guns that it was a spectacular burger. As I've stated, comparing a medium rare burger to a well done is apples to oranges. The more cooked you prefer, the higher the fat content you need to provide beef flavor and prevent it from being dry. Toppings including condiments, sauces and dressings can make a big difference especially and again, the more cooked you order, the bigger the impact they make. I always order my burgers with only cheese and bacon. I cannot comment on anything other than a plain medium rare bacon cheeseburger, which is a great way to taste the beef patty. RePUBlic #1 and McNellies a close #2.

You need to try Nics and Bunnys

10. Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

And The Burger Joint.

tried out bunny's this weekend and it was really good. however, i am going to have to stick with irma's as being the 'best.'

-M

Seems to be a real matter of personal taste here. I personally don't see how anyone could describe McNellie's as anything above average. We stumbled upon a place on the Slaughterville curve on Highway 77 this past weekend called Ballard's. The burgers there were pretty dang good. Definitely worth a stop if you find yourself in that neck of the woods.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    Seems to be a real matter of personal taste here. I personally
    don't see how anyone could describe McNellie's as anything above
    average. We stumbled upon a place on the Slaughterville curve
    on Highway 77 this past weekend called Ballard's. The burgers
    there were pretty dang good. Definitely worth a stop if you find
    yourself in that neck of the woods.
    Ballard's has been a staple for us since the early 60's. The
    burgers are great but I really like the Rex's Chicken he's
    served since I can remember.

Johnnie Osborne is the owner and since 1954 or so.

so... is this ballard's in slaughterville related to the ballard's drive-in in paul's valley? -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    so... is this ballard's in slaughterville related to the ballard's drive-in in paul's valley? -M
    Don't know. It seemed new and was called Ballard's Family Diner.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Ballard's has been a staple for us since the early 60's. The
    burgers are great but I really like the Rex's Chicken he's
    served since I can remember.

Johnnie Osborne is the owner and since 1954 or so.
    I don't think this business is that old, unless it has moved locations. I am pretty sure this location used to be a biker-ish little bar until recently.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    so... is this ballard's in slaughterville related to the ballard's
    drive-in in paul's valley? -M
    Ooops. For some reason I was thinking that the Slaughterville
    curve was a nickname of a curve in Paul's Valley. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You need to try Nics and Bunnys
    I tried Nic and wrote about it last page. Still my #3...I'm been thinking about bunnys, but I don't like onion burgers or burgers smashed thin, do they have make non-onion burgers?

MadMonk Guest

Anyone try a burger at Buffalo Wild Wings? I've never had one, but a coworker says they're great. He eats a lot of burgers, so I tend to trust his judgement. He also says the burgers at Earl's are pretty good too. He eats them plain and dry so I guess his only comment is on the burger meat and bun.

I have them there every few weeks and one at Chilis with about the same frequency. I think I prefer Chilis over BWW but they are both good.

I had a Sonic burger tonight which beats Braums, any of the other fast food burgers and some of the others mentioned IMO.

21. Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Best Gourmet: Republic (a tad biased, but very proud of our final product here)
    I have no reason to be biased and I think the burger at Republic is the best I've had anywhere, including many places out here in LA. Love the pretzel bun!
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I have a small lunch trip to El Reno planned for tomorrow...Sid's, Robert's and Johnnies are scheduled. Might swing back by Bunny's and Abraham's for good measure. I'll report back with the group's thoughts. Only doing Onion Burgers tomorrow!

it's cash only at johnnie's... just fyi. -M

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Anyone try a burger at Buffalo Wild Wings? I've never had one, but a coworker says they're great. He eats a lot of burgers, so I tend to trust his judgement. He also says the burgers at Earl's are pretty good too. He eats them plain and dry so I guess his only comment is on the burger meat and bun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    I have them there every few weeks and one at Chilis with about the same frequency. I think I prefer Chilis over BWW but they are both good.

I had a Sonic burger tonight which beats Braums, any of the other fast food burgers and some of the others mentioned IMO.
    BWW is above average in my book. I like earls/chilis/texas roadhouse/outback about the same. An exception is that Chilis uses thick bacon if you like bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I have no reason to be biased and I think the burger at Republic is the best I've had anywhere, including many places out here in LA. Love the pretzel bun!
    I'm with ya...I would welcome a "build your own burger" option for the picky folks like me...

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    Seems to be a real matter of personal taste here. I personally don't see how anyone could describe McNellie's as anything above average. We stumbled upon a place on the Slaughterville curve on Highway 77 this past weekend called Ballard's. The burgers there were pretty dang good. Definitely worth a stop if you find yourself in that neck of the woods.
    Definately a personal taste thing and encourage for everyone to communicate their preferences for a buger. For example, I've repeatedly stated I like a burger cooked medium rare and I dislike patties pressed thin.

Just remembered the honey pepper bacon burger at Belle Isle Brewery is also excellent

Thread Information