Widgets Magazine
Page 108 of 383 FirstFirst ... 858103104105106107108109110111112113158208 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

It's important to be aware of the difference between route miles and track miles. The Tucson streetcar will be 3.9 route miles consisting of 7 track miles. The MAPS Streetcar is planned for 5-6 track miles.

The preferred alignment for Phase 1 of the MAPS Streetcar that is going before the MAPS Board tomorrow is for approximately 2.5 route miles/4.6 track miles.

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

i will also say that tucson has put in 36 mil of contingency in their plan and are spending 3 or 4x more than they need to on their maint barn. and as urban pioneer said they have over 20 mil in that 196 in bridge projects and more in street projects ..

That to both UP and Tier2 for clarifying. Especially about the route miles vs miles of track.

Can't wait to see this type of picture in Okc with the official streetcar goundbreaking ceremony, as seen in Tucson.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	viewer-breaking-ground.jpg 
Views:	869 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	1250

Going wireless doesn't sound like a good idea if and when we expand it could cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    Going wireless doesn't sound like a good idea if and when we expand it could cause problems.
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    It shouldn't cause any problems for extensions. Particularly if it is semi-wiress.

Nice piece by News9 from Friday night about the Streetcar route:

http://www.news9.com/story/17861428/...reetcar-system

8. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

They aren't exactly sticklers for detail, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tier2City View Post
    Nice piece by News9 from Friday night about the Streetcar route:

http://www.news9.com/story/17861428/...reetcar-system

Thanks for posting this!

10. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

I love comment sections.

Here is the complete audio recording of the Wednesday, March 25th, MAPS 3 Transit Subcommittee Meeting.

http://soundcloud.com/moderntransitp...maps-3-transit

Here is the link specific to the Core to Shore "Study" discussion...

http://soundcloud.com/moderntransitproject-okc/

12. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Next thing we know Steve Shaw will be telling us that he's live at McNellie's in Bricktown (where, of course, it's happy hour)...

But all in all, the streetcar project is pretty well-represented in that piece. I don't know how the comments could be so frightening, but never underestimate the potential of comment sections.

Believe it or not, Steve Shaw put an extraordinary effort forth to understand a very complex story. Being that he is new here and from Kansas City, he had an understanding of their past but limited knowledge about our project. So it was a bit of a learning curve that he put some serious time into. The film crew also spent a great deal of time with us to get accurate shots for the archives so that NEWS 9 can run stories with accurate footage as our project progresses and creates new news.

14. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Good to hear! I'll go easy on em then. I guess it just happens when they're speaking to the lowest common denominator (local news audience) that $130 million occasionally becomes $100 million and EKG becomes Bricktown and other inaccuracies and oversights pop up... don't say "downtown," say "Bricktown," kind of thing...

Oklahoma City mayor's roundtable draws lessons from Salt Lake City

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett hosted his annual development roundtable Wednesday at the Cox Convention Center downtown. A keynote speaker was Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker, who spoke of similarities between development there and here.

By Michael Kimball | Published: May 17, 2012

Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker speaks with reporters Wednesday during Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett's development roundtable. The roundtable, an annual event, aims to gather local business and civic leaders to discuss the past and future development of the region.

Officials from cities across the country often come to Oklahoma City to study the renaissance that started with the original MAPS tax vote. But that doesn't mean the city can't learn from other places that are a few steps ahead on the path local leaders want to follow.

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett hosted his annual development roundtable Wednesday at the Cox Convention Center downtown, and one of the featured speakers was his counterpart from Utah's largest city. Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker hails from a town that has already seen the fruits of labor that Oklahoma City is currently undertaking, like the MAPS 3 modern streetcar that will serve downtown and parts of the surrounding area.
    Salt Lake City's streetcar and its...

16. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

didn't OKC have a LOT to do with SLC's success already?

Do you think SLC would return the favor now. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

There is indeed a bit of irony in all this. How much, I don't know. It was before my time.

Ernest Istook did. Since he was a congressman from here, I would say "we" did have a lot to do with their success. I'm sure he's garnered a higher level of heaven for himself with our streetcar going to SLC instead.

MAPS 3 Subcommittee Meeting today at 3:30 PM, 420 Main, 10th floor conference room.

Probably the most significant item involves approving the resolution hiring Jacobs/URS to develope our "project scope" and to proceed into formal engineering thereafter, update on Santa-Fe acquisition, presentation by ODOT on the new OKC Boulevard, and a summary of a meeting with Union Pacific regarding rail connections to the NE/E.

Should be a busy meeting.

Let us know how it went. Thanks ;-)

A very interesting discussion at the Oklahoma City Council meeting about both the streetcar, the boulevard and their interconnection.

http://newsok.com/maps-3-streetcar-p...rticle/3680294

Jesus, ODOT seems so obtuse. Watching the comments in that council meeting gave me a headache. Why are they building a highway where a boulevard was planned?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Jesus, ODOT seems so obtuse. Watching the comments in that council meeting gave me a headache. Why are they building a highway where a boulevard was planned?
    Because they can't figure out how to connect a couple of streets and keep the speed limit at 55 mph. I feel sorry for you guys. You will have to live with this mistake for generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Because they can't figure out how to connect a couple of streets and keep the speed limit at 55 mph. I feel sorry for you guys. You will have to live with this mistake for generations.
    Why on earth does it need to be 55 mph? The highway is right next to it!

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    Why on earth does it need to be 55 mph? The highway is right next to it!
    Because ODOT has only one mission - get Car X from point A to point B as fast as possible. It is all they care about.

Thread Information