Widgets Magazine
Page 107 of 125 FirstFirst ... 757102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3101

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    i said outcomes and attitudes about education are all pretty much the same.

and i can form my opinions however i choose. NM has extremely high funding per pupil and a far far worse education system than Oklahoma because of their culture towards education. culture matters the most and that starts at home
    While you can certainly form your own opinions however you choose. That does not give your opinions any actual weight just because you believe you are correct. When someone brings facts to the table that contradict your opinion, the facts do not magically get invalidated. I believe we can all agree that many variables impact the quality of education in any given area. We can also agree that properly funding education is an important element to a good education system. While you may feel that Oklahoma's culture towards education is the most significant difference in quality of education between Oklahoma and New Mexico, that is not saying much considering how poor both perform nationally. What do states like Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, Connecticut, Virginia, New Hampshire, Maryland, Delaware, New York, Illinois, and Colorado all have in common that Oklahoma just doesn't have? What elements of their culture towards education are we missing as a state?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    i said outcomes and attitudes about education are all pretty much the same.

NM has extremely high funding per pupil and a far far worse education system than Oklahoma because of their culture towards education. culture matters the most and that starts at home
    Can you clarify how outcomes and attitudes can be "pretty much be the same" if the outcomes in NM and Oklahoma are different because of their cultural attitudes toward education?

Also, what is the culture that starts at home which ensures or, at least, increases better outcomes?

Somewhat anecdotal but U-Haul moves can show national trends for in and out migration. Oklahoma is at #42 for 2022, up two spots from #44 last year. Regionally Texas is #1 (no surprise), Colorado #11, Missouri #15, New Mexico #19, Kansas #39 and Arkansas #43.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About...t-Again-28337/

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Somewhat anecdotal but U-Haul moves can show national trends for in and out migration. Oklahoma is at #42 for 2022, up two spots from #44 last year. Regionally Texas is #1 (no surprise), Colorado #11, Missouri #15, New Mexico #19, Kansas #39 and Arkansas #43.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About...t-Again-28337/
    Thanks for posting but this doesn't really say anything substantive, unless I'm missing it.

Is Oklahoma having more net in-migration or out-migration? It isn't clear by the ranking. But, number 42 in any particular ranking seems pretty status quo for our state.

Hopefully it's people moving out of the state from rural areas, while OKC metro and to a lesser degree Tulsa metro continue to attract newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Thanks for posting but this doesn't really say anything substantive, unless I'm missing it.

Is Oklahoma having more net in-migration or out-migration? It isn't clear by the ranking. But, number 42 in any particular ranking seems pretty status quo for our state.

Hopefully it's people moving out of the state from rural areas, while OKC metro and to a lesser degree Tulsa metro continue to attract newcomers.
    It’s net in-migration. My guess is that a good amount of the growth in OKC and Tulsa is from inside Oklahoma. And nearly all of the growth from out-of-state is in the two metros.
    The U-Haul Growth Index is compiled according to the net gain of one-way U-Haul trucks arriving in a state or city, versus departing from that state or city, in a calendar year. Migration trends data is compiled from more than 2 million one-way U-Haul truck transactions that occur annually across the U.S. and Canada.

It’s net in-migration. My guess is that a good amount of the growth in OKC and Tulsa is from inside Oklahoma. And nearly all of the growth from out-of-state is in the two metros.
    The census covers this pretty thoroughly. The narratives we see on SM isn’t at all true. Mostly a lot of outflow to Texas and inflow to Texas followed by Arkansas. We sure could use some forward thinking Californians like FB says we’re getting. But the census debunks that myth

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The census covers this pretty thoroughly. The narratives we see on SM isn’t at all true. Mostly a lot of outflow to Texas and inflow to Texas followed by Arkansas. We sure could use some forward thinking Californians like FB says we’re getting. But the census debunks that myth
    It would be in the best interest of both Oklahoma City and Tulsa metros for Payne County to grow faster in population. And it seems to be doing so. A poster from Payne County in Cushing on a different message board commented that lots of people are moving from California to his town. Some work in the oil sector which pays pretty well. Others you can tell were barely getting by in California and now work at fast food or dollar stores there. He says in Cushing and nearby towns you can rent a crappy house for $400 a month and get $10 an hour at a dollar store. Or $15 at Walmart. Or $19 at a graveyard shift at the local dairy. So, from a couple working in Cushing, they can survive probably better than when they were in California. According to him, there are lots of jobs in the Cushing area. And lots of cheap houses if you don't mind working on them. The more people moving to Payne County, which includes, Stillwater, the more it will help the economy of OKC and Tulsa.

Oklahoma had net in-migration of 28,481 in 2021 and 32,528 in 2022 for a total of 61,009 in 2021-22. That ranks #10 nationally.

The Top 10 in 2021-22
    1. Florida: 735,279
    2. Texas: 585,868
    3. North Carolina: 240,610
    4. Arizona: 183,033
    5. South Carolina: 166,219
    6. Georgia: 154,308
    7. Tennessee: 143,305
    8. Idaho: 82,519
    9. Alabama: 62,715
    10. Oklahoma: 61,009
    "Hey, Oklahoma grew by 60,000 people. That's pretty neat."

OKCTalk: No.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It would be in the best interest of both Oklahoma City and Tulsa metros for Payne County to grow faster in population. And it seems to be doing so. A poster from Payne County in Cushing on a different message board commented that lots of people are moving from California to his town. Some work in the oil sector which pays pretty well. Others you can tell were barely getting by in California and now work at fast food or dollar stores there. He says in Cushing and nearby towns you can rent a crappy house for $400 a month and get $10 an hour at a dollar store. Or $15 at Walmart. Or $19 at a graveyard shift at the local dairy. So, from a couple working in Cushing, they can survive probably better than when they were in California. According to him, there are lots of jobs in the Cushing area. And lots of cheap houses if you don't mind working on them. The more people moving to Payne County, which includes, Stillwater, the more it will help the economy of OKC and Tulsa.

I don't doubt your overall premise or your love for Payne County. And although I grew up as a Sooner fan, I recognize the immense and beneficial economic engine that is OSU. But the person you quote is proving the point that others have made. A crappy house for $400 a month and $10/hour, or $15/hour or even $19/hour in fast food and graveyard shifts? I mean, yes, you can eke out a life on that. I suppose. But is that really the economic model that we really want for our state? The folks in Payne County ought to be more interested in the spinoff startups coming out of the university, of which I am sure there are some.

Thank you for clarifying that it was net in-migration.

Blog Entries

Mayor David Holt: “We are just a city where people want to live,” Holt told The Oklahoman on Thursday.

According to U.S. Census Bureau data, Oklahoma’s growth through July 2022 makes it the 28th-largest state in the nation, population wise, and one of just four states that have between 4 million and 5 million residents.

“All I know is that Oklahoma City’s population has been growing rapidly now basically for two straight decades ... and I have every reason to think the growth in Oklahoma’s population is disproportionately happening in the Oklahoma City metro,” he said.

In Oklahoma County, the population has steadily increased from 600,398 in the early 1990s to just shy of 800,000 in 2021, according to the United States Census. While the U.S. population grew 19% during the same period, Oklahoma County grew 24.8% by comparison.

The MSA population of Oklahoma City is 1,425,695, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The city itself has gone from the 31st largest in population in the U.S. a decade ago to the 20th largest as of 2022. For the first time in generations, recent college graduates are sticking around and bringing the median age to 34.4.

By 2023, the population for the OKC metropolitan area is expected to grow to 1.52 million people. At the current growth rate, the metro would reach 2 million people by 2040, according to calculations by the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce.

Sources:

405 Magazine: https://www.405magazine.com/okcs-ong...ransformation/
    Bankrate: America’s best places to live in 2022 https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate...es-to-live/us/

At my doctors office the receptionist moved here last February from California. I asked why they moved here and she said they chose it due to affordability, didn't have any relatives here at all. She also commented that they sold their home for double what they paid, and bought in north Edmond and are debt free. I see California car tags all the time anymore.

As is often the case with the Tulsa World, they don't state where that growth is. My guess is that it is overwhelmingly in the OKC Metro, which is why the article is so vague.

As is often the case with the Tulsa World, they don't state where that growth is. My guess is that it is overwhelmingly in the OKC Metro, which is why the article is so vague.
    The article was primarily highlighting Oklahoma reaching the 4M population milestone.

16. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

but the article did mention Metro Tulsa (without any stats), seemingly inferring that the growth was there and "across the state"; when in reality the growth was almost exclusively in the OKC metro area, period. ... which for whatever reason the Tulsa "world" never likes to acknowledge OKC in positive light.

At least the daily disappointment cited Tulsa metro's contribution to the growth, as little as it was, especially when comparison to OKC which grew into the 20th largest city.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The article was primarily highlighting Oklahoma reaching the 4M population milestone.
    Your response is somewhat disingenuous. We both know why the article was framed the way it was. The Tulsa World acts like a Tulsa Metro cheerleader often. It's an annoying little brother trait.

We both know the rural areas of Oklahoma are declining in population, so instead of providing useful information about where this influx of newcomers is gravitating, the World just whitewashed the piece to avoid mentioning that those people are moving to Central Oklahoma in large quantities.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City - City population estimate: 711,372 https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-ok-population

2022 - 2020 (711,372 - 681,054 = 30,318)

Oklahoma population estimate:

2022 - 2020 (4,019,800 - 3,959,353 = 60,477] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

These figures reflect the time-period from the 2020 official census to the 2022 estimates.

Oklahoma City's central city-population reflects half of Oklahoma's growth.

Not to keeping being a stickler, but I still don't feel like I've seen any official sources for that 711,372 number that keeps being thrown around. I only ever see it from World Population Review, not the Census itself, with no background on where their "projection" is coming from. From what I can tell, the census has released state-level preliminary estimates valid at July 1, 2022 (Oklahoma population estimate = 4,019,800), but nothing for the municipality level. As I said in a previous post, a population of 711,372 would represent a marked increase in growth rate since 2020 (2.2% annually) compared to the 2020-2021 growth rate reported by the census (0.7%).

Blog Entries

Your response is somewhat disingenuous. We both know why the article was framed the way it was. The Tulsa World acts like a Tulsa Metro cheerleader often. It's an annoying little brother trait.

We both know the rural areas of Oklahoma are declining in population, so instead of providing useful information about where this influx of newcomers is gravitating, the World just whitewashed the piece to avoid mentioning that those people are moving to Central Oklahoma in large quantities.
    From April 2020 to the July 2021 estimate for MSAs, which is the latest actual real estimate we have from the US Census, Oklahoma City grew by 1.12% as compared to .85% for Tulsa.

A .27% gap in growth is not really very large.

And god forbid a Tulsa newspaper would mention Tulsa in an article. Pure insanity. Talk about having a complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    From April 2020 to the July 2021 estimate for MSAs, which is the latest actual real estimate we have from the US Census, Oklahoma City grew by 1.12% as compared to .85% for Tulsa.

And god forbid a Tulsa newspaper would mention Tulsa in an article. Pure insanity. Talk about having a complex.
    The gap is fairly significant when OKC has twice the population that Tulsa has already.

Tulsa World quoting Tulsa Regional head: "This is probably good for Tulsa."

"Oh brother, can you believe these guys???"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    The gap is fairly significant when OKC has twice the population that Tulsa has already.
    1,441,647 is not close to double 1,023,988

Yeah, but that's actually a 30% difference in growth rate and OKC's base is about 35% higher to begin with.

So, even if the growth rate was the same, it would still mean a bigger gross increase in OKC.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, but it's not a totally insignificant difference. It does suggest that more (most) of the state's overall growth is in the OKC MSA and I think that's all anyone was pointing out.

It's not that deep. It's literally just an article about the state population surpassing 4 million people. I have no idea how this innocuous article could be interpreted to be some affront to Central Oklahoma. It doesn't make any claims that Tulsa was responsible for the increase in the state's population or even claim Tulsa had any growth in population at all.

Thread Information