Widgets Magazine
Page 103 of 486 FirstFirst ... 3539899100101102103104105106107108153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 12127

Thread: Devon Energy Center

1. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by possumfritter View Post
    kinggober...do you have that 3rd pic when the trees were in full bloom from that same location?
    I noticed that too. But I'm too lazy to look back.

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

try page 35 for the pear treess blooming

oops ...correction "trees"

Thanks clz46...I thought those were Dogwoods???

It's maybe a Bradford pear or one of the other ornamental pears. A dogwood is kinda a layered looking smaller tree. It's hard to grow in Oklahoma without being sheltered under a bigger tree. Probably more than you wanted to know.

6. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Yes. Bradford Pears. We have two in my yard as well. They're my favorite tree.

MadMonk Guest

I hate those trees. They smell like ass when they bloom.

Architect... if you're going to go into design you better dump your love for Bradford pears... they are terrible landscape choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Architect... if you're going to go into design you better dump your love for Bradford pears... they are terrible landscape choices.
    They've got a real bad habit of splitting down the middle after their full grown and can do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by workman45 View Post
    They've got a real bad habit of splitting down the middle after their full grown and can do damage.
    That is true...they fell apart in the ice storm here in Purcell...but they were a beautiful entrance into town--the long row of them on North Green Avenue...they are fine in yards here and there...and need to be trimmed a lot. Redbuds are similar...they fall apart alot--but they will return from the roots for many decades.

Me thinks they're putting up scaffolding for the second story--Jar Jar Binx

I was thinking that all that is being built now will be underground when it's completed. Is that right or not? The drawings look as if the building is at street level.

Quote Originally Posted by clz46 View Post
    I was thinking that all that is being built now will be underground when it's completed. Is that right or not? The drawings look as if the building is at street level.
    Your correct. The shoring system being installed now is for the first floor above street level.

Thanks, jn1780. Now here's another question I've been wondering about.. do they wait until the floors are lifted to fill in the dirt or wait until all the floors are in? That is going to be a bunch of dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Me thinks they're putting up scaffolding for the second story--Jar Jar Binx
    Me sa thinks you right!

Quote Originally Posted by clz46 View Post
    Thanks, jn1780. Now here's another question I've been wondering about.. do they wait until the floors are lifted to fill in the dirt or wait until all the floors are in? That is going to be a bunch of dirt!
    I would think they would go ahead in fill the area with dirt and gravel so they have a staging area for construction materials. They will have to remove the two ramps they have been using to access the basement floor eventually so they can finish that area of the basement and also start on the podium building. Of course they can't fill in around the tower cranes so they will just build around them and patch the holes later.

I'm sure there is someone on this board who knows exactly whats going on.

Not that I am the 'person who knows exactly what is going on' but the entire excavated area will be a basement level... There will be heated parking for executives and special visitors and a loading dock for deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    Not that I am the 'person who knows exactly what is going on' but the entire excavated area will be a basement level... There will be heated parking for executives and special visitors and a loading dock for deliveries.

Yes, but there is a small layer of dirt and landscaping directly above that east, south, and west of the tower with a water basin surrounding the tower.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yes, but there is a small layer of dirt and landscaping directly above that east, south, and west of the tower with a water basin surrounding the tower.
    Correct, and all of that will be on top of the basement level. If you were originally asking when they will fill this in with dirt, my guess will not be until much later in the construction process (and by much later I mean towards the end of this year when the tower is being topped out). But again, just a guess on this topic...

Just curious...How is the safety record up to this point?

21. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by workman45 View Post
    Platemaker: Architect... if you're going to go into design you better dump your love for Bradford pears... they are terrible landscape choices.

I'm actually majoring in Graphic Design, architecture was a childhood dream of mine that I realized was really just had to do with my love for Urban Planning. I do know Bradfords are not suited well for Oklahoma's weather. I learned this after that major ice storm a couple of years ago. It seemed almost every Bradford in the city was damaged badly, but I still think they're beautiful.

22. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

I think Bradford Pears are incredibly beautiful about three weeks out of the year:1-1/2 weeks when they bloom in the spring, and 1-1/2 weeks when they turn in the fall. Other than that, I think they're sorry, PITA little lollipop trees that obscure building facades, attract too many birds, and tend to be uprooted in windstorms (due to density) and split/deformed mercilessly in ice storms (density, fragility).

NOT a fan.

Also, PITA means pain-in-the-a**.

How much longer do you thank it will be until we see it from the highway?

Quote Originally Posted by Troypin View Post
    How much longer do you thank it will be until we see it from the highway?
    Think? lol. Prolly a few more weeks.. That's just a guess tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I hate those trees. They smell like ass when they bloom.
    They smell just like cement... no idea why people like them so much.

Thread Information