Widgets Magazine
Page 101 of 486 FirstFirst ... 5196979899100101102103104105106151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 12137

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by ourulz2000 View Post
    I think it's a pretty safe bet, this ain't happnin'.
    I think six floors by the end of June is reasonable. I think once they reach the third floor things will start picking up.

Not the best shots, debris webbing in the way. But, a few cell phone shots from lunch:

It's funny, I look at those pictures and think "that doesn't seem that big." Then I notice the construction workers in the second picture next to one of the walls. Those things must be at least 20 feet tall!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly on the Wall View Post
    Not the best shots, debris webbing in the way. But, a few cell phone shots from lunch:

The first Image cleared it up for me. The spread footing as shown is really acting as a pier cap & transferbeam supported by two piers with the main pier situated in the center. So in a sense the main pier is to take considerably more load than the monolithic piers by transferring its load to the transfer beam and dispersing it equally between the two piers supporting it.

What led to the confusion originally was the fact that we didn't have the structural plans showing that sub grade condition, the pier schedule and details, coupled with the fact that they poured one of the supporting piers full height just like the other monolithic piers. So in essence that is what made me among others question its validity or if it was an error. The error was the fact that they set and tied a steel cage for it and poured it like the other monolithic columns.

That explains why the jacked it out and removed the steel reinforcing cage back to the original steel and then tied in the X-fer atop both piers.

So that answered most of my questions from my post before, except it validated that yes a mistake was made but not on the part of Berkel and Co, or applegrower2.

Great pictures by the way and thanks for taking the time to post them!

Thanks for the pics. These are the first pics in a week or two that give us an idea of what's going on where the missing scaffolding is, etc. I have been busy and unable to get down there the last 2 weeks but hope to get back down there soon and take semi-regular pics.

The columns their setting up now are double the height. So I guess that means the cores will have two pours before they reach the next floor.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The columns their setting up now are double the height. So I guess that means the cores will have two jumps before they start the next floor.
    Yeah this is the main level at grade so will have a huge floor to floor height. How awesome a view it will have to the south facing the Gardens!

This will be quite impressive from a human scale perspective, it will certainly make visitors feel that they are dealing with the #1 largest Natural Gas company in the US!

Here's a few more from today.

Good God! Thank You momentum! Amazing shots!

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    Yeah this is the main level at grade so will have a huge floor to floor height. How awesome a view it will have to the south facing the Gardens!

This will be quite impressive from a human scale perspective, it will certainly make visitors feel that they are dealing with the #1 largest Natural Gas company in the US!
    The first floor of the tower (the street level floor) will be about 40 feet tall (it is 2 of the rotunda floors). That is why the columns are so tall for this floor.

I have a question from you engineering types.

Do they use some priming process or product between pours to prevent problems between the old, partially cured, and the new concrete?

I ask because some of the shows I have seen when they are building large structures were they try and do a continues pour to eliminate that.

Here's a few renderings of the park in front of the tower. You can see a few more here

Oh wow. The renderings are cool, kingo.

Super shots OKCmomentum! Thanks!

Why is the last elevator shaft going up before they pour concrete in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean-Brown View Post
    I have a question from you engineering types.

Do they use some priming process or product between pours to prevent problems between the old, partially cured, and the new concrete?

I ask because some of the shows I have seen when they are building large structures were they try and do a continues pour to eliminate that.
    My experience comes more from the realm of bridge construction (not buildings) but generally no. In order to get new concrete to stick to older concrete you want to keep things clean, which can be harder than you would think on a construction project. An intentionally roughened/scarified surface can help with adhesion when necessary. The main thing that is going to keep two pours together is the reinforcing bars or dowels that pass between them.

Continuous pours can be nice to reduce the number of cold joints but if a pour gets too massive the heat that curing concrete puts off can damage itself. This is why structures like the Hoover Dam aren't built with one large pour. It can also ease construction to use completed parts of a structure as support for newer areas. Can you imagine the falsework/temporary supports that would be needed to construct 10 floors at once!?! That would be more impressive than the finished structure itself.

Good to see that 3rd core finally go up.

Good to see that 3rd core finally go up.
    Yep...and realy can't wait to see the entire first floor slab poured. Hopefully we'll start seeing a lot more columns go up for the basement too.

Quote Originally Posted by okcmomentum View Post
    Yep...and realy can't wait to see the entire first floor slab poured. Hopefully we'll start seeing a lot more columns go up for the basement too.
    How many stories does the tower need to be before you can see it from I-40? 4 stories?

How many stories does the tower need to be before you can see it from I-40? 4 stories?
    With as high as the street level floor is I would say only 3 stories to be seen from I-40.

Pictures from April 30, 2010:

Fantastic Photos! Thanks Del Camino!

Smile Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

GREAT PICS!!! Thanks so much.

You're welcome. It's cool to see the progress.

The construction site looks small until you see the people(ants) walking around near it then you kinda get how big this thing actually is!Great pics Delcamino!

Thread Information