Widgets Magazine
Page 100 of 488 FirstFirst ... 509596979899100101102103104105150200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 12187

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    I agree with OKC@heart...he seems to be one who knows what he is talking about. Nit-picking and aspersions like the "3 Stooges" does not seem to really serve any purpose...I am in no way an expert on construction--but--I have a logical mind, and a project of this magnitude will, no doubt, have a large amount of issues to be dealt with during it's mission. I would bet the "pillar" issue has a long story behind it that will make sense when it is finally determined. I doubt those who engage in this type of construction are just run-of-the-mill guys off the street...
    It looks like we had better be ready for a couple of years of nitpicking and it's just getting started. Everyone is a sidewalk superintendent. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It looks like we had better be ready for a couple of years of nitpicking and it's just getting started. Everyone is a sidewalk superintendent. lol
    It is the critical observations that make things improve and get done correctly in the end. I am not so cynical as to think a $750 million project would be farmed out to cavalier builders or engineers with suspect skills. Forums are fun because they are essentially free thoughts of all kinds on given subjects...I like seeing the random thoughts from disparate angles, it allows me to see how people view things around them. Being involved in this sort of forum at all portends a degree of eccentricity in itself. I like just seeing inside the minds of those who are interested in the actual creation of large buildings...not something one can get unless you happen to be in that particular trade. I appreciate being able to read all opinions.

I'm taking my camera today to see what kind of shots I can get.
    No promises on posting tonight - I'll do my best!

Blog Entries

As one in the business of supplying product to large construction projects all around the world I can attest to the fact that there are constantly issues of corrections and changes. If the average Joe knew all the trades, vendors, etc. involved in each part of the process they would probably be amazed ANYTHING ever gets built correctly and on time. There all all kinds of communications issues with versions, design changes, etc. that take the hundreds of thousands of things to be coordinated and impose a risk on them. Though it won't be apparent to the outside viewers, there will be thousands of changes and adaptations that occur before this building is complete.

The people involved on this project are some of the best in the world. You should see how it is done sometimes in places like China, Mexico, Russia, Egypt, Equidor, etc. Sometimes it is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    As one in the business of supplying product to large construction projects all around the world I can attest to the fact that there are constantly issues of corrections and changes. If the average Joe knew all the trades, vendors, etc. involved in each part of the process they would probably be amazed ANYTHING ever gets built correctly and on time. There all all kinds of communications issues with versions, design changes, etc. that take the hundreds of thousands of things to be coordinated and impose a risk on them. Though it won't be apparent to the outside viewers, there will be thousands of changes and adaptations that occur before this building is complete.

The people involved on this project are some of the best in the world. You should see how it is done sometimes in places like China, Mexico, Russia, Egypt, Equidor, etc. Sometimes it is scary.
    I wouldn't doubt that in the slightest. Over the years I've worked in and around construction just enough to be amazed at the speed of this project.

I don't know if the story about the "wrong glass" arriving for the parking garage holds water. Looking at it today, they have continued to put some decorative pieces on the NE stairwell in between the panes that would further prevent them from easily replacing the glass - so if they did receive the wrong glass, it does not look like they are going to replace it.

MadMonk Guest

I did notice that there are a few panes at ground level that are definitely different from the rest. Maybe the "wrong" glass is limited to a small area?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I did notice that there are a few panes at ground level that are definitely different from the rest. Maybe the "wrong" glass is limited to a small area?
    Could be - but the prior description of the 'correct' glass was that you could see out, but not in - you can see in the stairwell the whole way up it, though. I would suspect you are correct, madmonk, probably just involves a few pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    Could be - but the prior description of the 'correct' glass was that you could see out, but not in - you can see in the stairwell the whole way up it, though. I would suspect you are correct, madmonk, probably just involves a few pieces.
    When our co-worker went and asked, he specifically asked about the SE stairwell because the glass is VERY different from the NE stairwell. The glass on the outsides is painted so you can't see out and the panes in the middle are see though. When you get to the 9th floor and look out, some of the outer panes are see though and some are painted. It is very weird looking...

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    When our co-worker went and asked, he specifically asked about the SE stairwell because the glass is VERY different from the NE stairwell. The glass on the outsides is painted so you can't see out and the panes in the middle are see though. When you get to the 9th floor and look out, some of the outer panes are see though and some are painted. It is very weird looking...
    Oh...well you can see in the NE stairwell just fine from outside. It is also missing a few panes but not as many as the SE.

New pictures!
    Two were taken at 5 AM, the rest at noon today

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    New pictures!
    Two were taken at 5 AM, the rest at noon today
    Thanks Lauri! Great photos as always!

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Thanks Lauri! Great photos as always!
    thanks, diggyba - I'm going to have to find someone willing to loan me their window on a higher floor - the building will soon go beyond my 4th floor window seat!

I am very confused. Are those yellow legs under the new floor suppost to hold up the entire building until its done?

Let me echo that! Thanks for the photos! It is so great to get to see the greater detail and all of the intricacies that your shots picked up that otherwise would go unnoticed! Like the block out in the floor slab pour for the radiused curtainwall of the first level lobby circulation space! very cool stuff! I really could look at these photos for hours and not see everything.

It is also interesting that they have not fully poured the NW Core, rather it appears that they poured a portion but the back of the core is still all rebar and has the core form removed...so there is probably a story there.

Thanks again for the great shots!

Thumbs up Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Thanks very much for the new photos Lauri101--excellent!

Thanks everyone - I wanted to take advantage of the clear view and show ya'll what it looks like from our side.

The look of the tower cranes all lit up in the early morning is so much more awesome than anything I can capture on an image. At 5 AM the site was as busy as noon - I guess they are working 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by Troypin View Post
    I am very confused. Are those yellow legs under the new floor suppost to hold up the entire building until its done?
    No, they will be removed eventually when they the concrete has cured long enough.

Ok, I have been onsite since mid-october,so I do know about the pier in question. I will say again it is NOT a location problem,if it was we would have put in replacement piles. If you look at post #1228, notice the soil conditions, pretty wet, yes? Now it is not called a transfer beam, it is called a spread footer,it allows more weight to be loaded on said pile. The column may have been designed offset like it is for more room in the basement for some sort of access reason, that I don't know. We at Berkel and company have been installing piles since 1959, and are very proud of our work. Go to our website and see some of our projects in the past. Now, here is more fodder for you to speculate on. today we installed 6-18 inch diameter piles near your "contraversel pier. But they were on the plans as designed. LOL. So now the piles are finished, drill rigs are outta here. Good bye.

Quote Originally Posted by applegrower02 View Post
    Ok, I have been onsite since mid-october,so I do know about the pier in question. I will say again it is NOT a location problem,if it was we would have put in replacement piles. If you look at post #1228, notice the soil conditions, pretty wet, yes? Now it is not called a transfer beam, it is called a spread footer,it allows more weight to be loaded on said pile. The column may have been designed offset like it is for more room in the basement for some sort of access reason, that I don't know. We at Berkel and company have been installing piles since 1959, and are very proud of our work. Go to our website and see some of our projects in the past. Now, here is more fodder for you to speculate on. today we installed 6-18 inch diameter piles near your "contraversel pier. But they were on the plans as designed. LOL. So now the piles are finished, drill rigs are outta here. Good bye.
    Rock on applegrower. Thanks for the info. I think everyone on the job is doing an amazing job and I just love the fact I get to watch it change daily. Do you happen to know what the total amount of piers drilled on the site was?

Well that clears things up.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Well that clears things up.
    Well--I guess that is why mechanics get the 'creeps' when we hang around watching them do stuff to our autos...if you don't understand what is going on--it might seem like all sorts of bizarre things are happening. My father taught me years ago--concerning not trying to be a mechanic if you are not one (and don't have the "proper" tools!)..."look--son--you can pay the mechanic, or pay the psychiatrist--it is all up to you". He was right, "a man has to know his limitations!"

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Six floors by June (approx 100 feet tall) and glass on the exterior by July.
    I think it's a pretty safe bet, this ain't happnin'.

The basement and the first floor are probably the most time consuming floors to do. Once they get to the standard height floors, I am sure it will move much faster.

I appreciate your perspective on the situation with the pier. I have a couple of questions for you if you will indulge me.

You inferred that a contributor to the pier issue is the wet site (soil) conditions. And that as a response a spread footer was employed to address said conditions?

If so, several things don't make sense to me. Columns that bear on bedrock are typically only concerned with water table issues as it relates to the trying to prevent caving sides while drilling said piers by casing it or by adding slurry to the water increasing viscosity and adding gravity to hold the sides in place.

Spread footings are about adding bearing area and usually relies on the soils resistance to load which is dependent on usually classification of strata upon which it bears. So the assertion that it has anything to do with wet site/soil conditions (pardon the pun) does not hold water.

Additionally if it were the reason, why would it only have occurred at this one location and not at all of the main piers? Additionally why would they not have constructed it as they did with the pier caps and formed and tied the steel prior to pouring the concrete for the pier so that it was monolithic? That would better support the assertion that it was always in the plans that way. The other part that does not make sense is that if it was always there and not a mistake, then why did they pour the pier full height like all of the other main piers and then come back and have to jackhammer it out back to this level, open the hole to add the spread footing? (by the way if the pier and column above are not directly in line with each other, the spread footer is actually a sub-grade transfer beam - you can ask the structural engineer if you doubt me)

It is obvious to me and others on this forum that this area of work has caused a delay in the sequencing and forming of the first floor. Whereas I appreciate your attempt to end the discussion with your explanation, and it was evident that you were somewhat annoyed in your tone. Like was stated before we don't think less of your company or any of the fantastic subcontractors who are participating in the fantastic project.

Believe me I am not being critical of a mistake, which is a normal occurrence on any construction site because of the intense coordination involved. It is just that there is always a logical explanation to what transpires and what you provided is helpful but does not answer the questions that I posed above so I guess it at least is not complete.

Please also do not feel this is an attack as that is not the way I operate, I just have a desire to know the complete answer. I also know that the reasons why things change are not always communicated to everyone involved in the process, and so if you do not know that is also fine. It sounds like either way you are about done with this stage of the project so good job and good luck on your next one.

Thread Information