Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Pizzeria Gusto

1. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Also I guess I am a little old school, but sometimes people just want a nice pepperoni pizza not a zucchini, rabbit meat, north alps sausage with goat cheese from South America pizza.
    And there's a reason why places like Chili's and Applebee's stay in business... Some diners just want plain, boring, food... Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with what Gusto is trying to do.... Well except I agree on that burnt crust.... When they get it done right it's a pretty good pie, in my opinion, but I've had some where the burnt overwhelmed the rest of the flavors and that's not good eating.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Last time I went, the crust around the edge was burned (and tasted burned) but the center crust was still relatively under cooked. Consequently, I was unimpressed. The ingredients were fine, but the execution lacked.

I've never had a bad experience or a bad pizza at Gusto. I've had pizza where I may have preferred a different topping. But never burnt or raw. I'm a bit surprised at these reviews.

4. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    ... But never burnt or raw. I'm a bit surprised at these reviews.
    I've never had raw but I've experienced the burnt... I've also experienced the cooked correctly and it's a good pie when they get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Also I guess I am a little old school, but sometimes people just want a nice pepperoni pizza not a zucchini, rabbit meat, north alps sausage with goat cheese from South America pizza.
    I totally agree! To each their own. I don't care to eat some of that stuff off of a pizza let alone on a pizza. Doesn't mean we're boring eaters. I'm just particular about my pizza while others may be particular about their hamburgers, others their seafood, etc. I would still like to give it a try some evening though.

I have been there plenty and never had an issue with burnt or raw pizza. sometimes a bit of char on the upper edge but nothing I would consider burnt. I wouldn't say Gusto is for the folks wanting a supreme or Pepperoni pizza and I don't think they have marketed themselves as such. I keep meaning to try a pasta dish but always end up with a pizza.. so good!

A bit of char is expected, but they've never burnt any of mine. But if they did, I would ask them to remake it - my service experience there has always been good, and I don't think that would be a problem. Gusto is the best of this group's concepts, and some of the best pizza in town.

8. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    ...my service experience there has always been good, and I don't think that would be a problem. Gusto is the best of this group's concepts, and some of the best pizza in town.
    Agreed on the service... The manager offered to remake the pie when I pointed out that the char on ours was affecting the overall flavor of the pie and was not consistent with previous pies I had been served. I declined the remake so they gave us a free dessert.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I totally agree! To each their own. I don't care to eat some of that stuff off of a pizza let alone on a pizza. Doesn't mean we're boring eaters. I'm just particular about my pizza while others may be particular about their hamburgers, others their seafood, etc. I would still like to give it a try some evening though.
    The truest test of a pizza is a cheese pizza. If they make a fantastic cheese pizza, the toppings are to people's desire. If the basic pizza isn't good, no topping can salvage it. Plain isn't boring, it is just simplicity.

10. Default Re: Pizzeria Gusto

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The truest test of a pizza is a cheese pizza. If they make a fantastic cheese pizza, the toppings are to people's desire. If the basic pizza isn't good, no topping can salvage it. Plain isn't boring, it is just simplicity.
    And their margherita and margherita the queen are both great. I can see how it could turn some people off initially because the toppings are not what they're used to..... but they are trying to go the more traditional route. Almost impossible to find pepperoni pizza anywhere in Italy.

I've sent two pizzas back on two separate occasions. If you ask them, they will tell you they are not supposed to be burnt, at all. A tiny char is OK. The wood-fired oven must be incredibly difficult to use, because the end product is incredibly variable.

On a recent visit, I was getting two pies to go. Both were slightly undercooked. This turned out to be good because we put them in the oven when we got home at 425 degrees for five minutes and they were perfect.

They really need to figure out a method for quality control on the oven.

Given the imprecise nature of wood fired anything, the primary quality control factor is likely limited to the cooks gaining more experience.

Blog Entries

Seems like the best pizzas in NYC are always baked in old coal fired ovens.

Never had a bad anything here. I guess I expect a certain measure of difference in how a wood fired pizza comes out every now and then, but I've never had anything that didn't taste great here.

Huge Gusto fan here. Went last night for my birthday actually. Our table had 5 pies and they were all cooked perfectly. If you normally like a pepperoni pizza, give the soppressata pizza a chance. Its very similar to pepperoni, but has a lot more flavor in my opinion.

In fact the Pump Bar/Gusto combo is one of my favorite ways to spend a nice evening out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBear View Post
    In fact the Pump Bar/Gusto combo is one of my favorite ways to spend a nice evening out of the house.
    Backed; this is definitely a winning chain of gustatory events.

Thought I should express some love of this place seeing how it seems to stay in our monthly rotation of restaurants. I think Gusto is one of the better restaurants to come out of this culinary boom our city is experiencing and just can't say enough about it. If you haven't tried their hot wings, you are neglecting your taste buds. Best wings in the city.

Thread Information