Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: The American Heartland Theme Park and Resort

Default Re: The American Heartland Theme Park and Resort

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    No diet coke. I'm out!
    Pepsi seems to be taking up all of the soda pouring right contracts for venues like theaters, ballparks, hotels, restaurants, and well theme parks. They must be underbidding Coca-Cola or giving a higher margin of sale.

In a place like this, I'll guess you settle for Pepsi if you are a Coke fan. The good news is, if you like Dr. Pepper, Tulsa area Pepsi bottlers have the pouring/distribution rights as opposed to Southwest Beverage/Great Plains Coca-Cola having Dr. Pepper in OKC area.

So as of today there is still no movement on site. The contractor showed up months ago and setup some initial erosion control and the staging area, and then pulled all the equipment besides an office trailer and left. Very odd. Some speculated they were waiting on better weather or the arrival of their own concrete batch plant, but the weather has been great and there is a plant literally across the street that could cover at least their short term needs.

From what I can piece together they are still negotiating with the state regarding public money for infrastructure improvements. The contractor is supposedly still on board, but I know you can't play around with start dates too much with any major contractor - they will take on other work and their manpower will get allocated elsewhere. Could add on a few months to their schedule just for missing the original start date, whatever that was. That wouldn't be as big a deal if it weren't for them promising to open at least part of this NEXT YEAR. It's going to come up quick...

https://ktul.com/news/local/one-stat...ma-attractions

Isn't the state senate kind of dead locked right now? What are the chances of that bill making it through soon?

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Pepsi seems to be taking up all of the soda pouring right contracts for venues like theaters, ballparks, hotels, restaurants, and well theme parks. They must be underbidding Coca-Cola or giving a higher margin of sale.

In a place like this, I'll guess you settle for Pepsi if you are a Coke fan. The good news is, if you like Dr. Pepper, Tulsa area Pepsi bottlers have the pouring/distribution rights as opposed to Southwest Beverage/Great Plains Coca-Cola having Dr. Pepper in OKC area.
    I am on the Pepsi side of the fence, so this is good to hear. Seems like Coca-Cola does have the restaurant industry sewed up, so Pepsi has no choice to get theaters, theme parks, sports venues. Very rarely that I go to sit down casual restaurant or even a fast food joint, and they sell Pepsi products.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post

We are going on a Carnival cruise in June and they have Pepsi products and there is not a Dr. Pepper substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    We are going on a Carnival cruise in June and they have Pepsi products and there is not a Dr. Pepper substitute.
    They used to have Mr. Pibb. "Extra" which still sucked but that's disappointing.

I hear the beers and drinks are good though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    So as of today there is still no movement on site. The contractor showed up months ago and setup some initial erosion control and the staging area, and then pulled all the equipment besides an office trailer and left. Very odd. Some speculated they were waiting on better weather or the arrival of their own concrete batch plant, but the weather has been great and there is a plant literally across the street that could cover at least their short term needs.

From what I can piece together they are still negotiating with the state regarding public money for infrastructure improvements. The contractor is supposedly still on board, but I know you can't play around with start dates too much with any major contractor - they will take on other work and their manpower will get allocated elsewhere. Could add on a few months to their schedule just for missing the original start date, whatever that was. That wouldn't be as big a deal if it weren't for them promising to open at least part of this NEXT YEAR. It's going to come up quick...

https://ktul.com/news/local/one-stat...ma-attractions

Isn't the state senate kind of dead locked right now? What are the chances of that bill making it through soon?
    Probably slim odds it gets passed, but it might. They killed funding for OKPOP and some other tourism related stuff already. Senate isn't dead locked but they have been very clear that anything that negatively impacts the budget any further in terms of tax cuts, etc. is dead on arrival from the house. So, depends how the bills language is written/impacts it causes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    They used to have Mr. Pibb. "Extra" which still sucked but that's disappointing.

I hear the beers and drinks are good though lol.
    Mr. Pibb "Extra" has always been a Coke product. That's why it's hard to find in OK, because Dr. Pepper eats up a lot of fountains vs. Pibb Extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Mr. Pibb "Extra" has always been a Coke product. That's why it's hard to find in OK, because Dr. Pepper eats up a lot of fountains vs. Pibb Extra.
    I guess I should’ve specified. Carnival used to carry coke products. Not sure when they switched.

Blog Entries

The proposed $2 billion, one thousand acres on which the 125-acre theme park sits will be a great addition to Oklahoma; especially a tourist boost to 5,180 residents of Vinita in the Tulsa MSA area.

Ground was broken (October 23, 2023) on the Three Ponies RV Park portion, a precursor to the AHTP.

Blog Entries

Kansas City is getting a new "Mattel" theme park:

https://www.kmbc.com/article/mattel-...aster/60254507

^That's really interesting. Will definitely shake things up a bit between WOF/SFStL/SDC. The one in Pheonix took forever to get off the ground, but is supposedly opening this year. Wonder how many they are going to end up building around the country, but I assume an east coast location is next. These parks aren't huge, but they have several high caliber attractions and of course are loaded with pop culture IP that make them much more obvious destinations to families than some random "American Heartland" theme.

Still waiting on American Heartland to put up or shut up. They need more than just vague ideas and big promises at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I guess I should’ve specified. Carnival used to carry coke products. Not sure when they switched.
    Couple of years ago, I believe, and if I'm not mistaken, you can still get Dr. Pepper if you sail out of Galveston.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guide View Post
    Couple of years ago, I believe, and if I'm not mistaken, you can still get Dr. Pepper if you sail out of Galveston.
    Smart on their part lol

The timelines are definitely slipping now. Here we are in April and nothing is happening on site. Looks like the wheels are coming off... The thing is, they have the money to do something. A few hundred million into a resort complex would go a LONG way and supposedly they have that much on hand or can raise it easily. I don't understand what they are playing at anymore, but patience is going to wear thin VERY quickly.

^

And now every time there is an interview they make sure to include this type of wording:

Mansion Entertainment Group adds that they will continue to engage with local and state leaders to make sure funding is available.

This was my favorite part:

The park is reminiscent of what it means to live in the heart of America.

18. Default Re: The American Heartland Theme Park and Resort

Who here is surprised that this isn't actually happening? Anyone? Nope.

I could have sworn I also heard something about a park like the new Mattel park in AZ being built somewhere in Missouri. Hotwheels or Matchbox or something??? Anyway, if that happens with that kind of corporate backing and in an actual city instead in the middle of godforsaken nowhere, then it's another nail in this joke's coffin.

The Disney and Florida feud (which probably started all this) is at least temporarily over. Also, what Universal Studios is building is going to light years better.

I think the ship has set sail and this development has very little chance of happening.

Supposedly they are working through the necessary infrastructure that will be needed to actually support the site. There will be significant water, sewer, storm, and roadway development that will need to be paid for and started before they can commit to actually doing anything. Which goes back to all the questions about the timeline... Why promise something for 2026 if you can't even get the infrastructure designed and approved by then, not to mention actually finishing construction? They made all these crazy timelines before they even had ZONING APPROVAL and incorporation into Vinita.

Mullin published something the other day saying that he and other leaders were still committed to getting them funding (for the outside infrastructure improvements), so there are still wheels turning. It's obviously a huge gamble for Vinita and all the local utilities to commit to expanding their systems for something that likely won't get built to the scale that is advertised. It probably won't last long either...

For reference, it took Tulsa YEARS of planning and approvals for projects like Gathering Place and the new river improvements before they ever broke ground, then YEARS of construction. They have seriously underestimated the time it takes to design, get approval for, and construct civil infrastructure. It's almost like they thought that local government would just slap an approval stamp on everything because they showed up and promised to make them a bunch of money. I've definitely had clients do that before.

What I really want to know is do they have FAA approval for the coasters and slingshot tower? That's an important item afterall.....

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    What I really want to know is do they have FAA approval for the coasters and slingshot tower? That's an important item afterall.....
    And will it make Dallas and KC jealous?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And will it make Dallas and KC jealous?
    Uhhh...if you think otherwise, you must not know Gene Bicknell!

FAA approval isn't the hardest to get. Although I've never had to get it for something that tall. Can't get approval for something that hasn't been actually designed yet though... Have to submit a site plan and coordinates, plus final design height. Concepts aren't enough.

^ Shun the loser who doesn't get the inside jokes!!!!!

(just kidding lol)

Thread Information