Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hampton Inn

Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

I guess you could. Then you could pay $30 to sit on the balcony during a baseball game.... Then pay for food.
    Actually, that's EXACTLY what we want.

2. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

I could be wrong, but I think it's pretty rare to see new hotels built with balconies (or fully opening windows) because of the liability issue. Even without the liability, no hotel wants to deal with the negative publicity of someone throwing themself off your 8th floor balcony.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    This is the best thing to come to Bricktown in years.

I like it because it is in the heart of Bricktown and it fits perfectly into a small spot along Sheridan. Not like the Residence Inn that looks like it should be out on Memorial.

Looking forward to the Hampton adding even more life to the east end of Bricktown.
    I like it too for this reason, it is actually urban and pedestrian-friendly. The fountain and large sidewalk-facing windows where you can see the indoor pool are nice touches. I don't understand why the Residence Inn and possibly Candlewood Suites were not held to the same standards.

I'm not convinced the pool was the best use of space. It also looks really weird at street level looking in. I think it would have been much more suited for a basement and then they could have had a restaurant/lounge/meeting facilities where the pool area is. I know there intent was to get people out and about in Bricktown to eat, etc. and I'm all for that, just looking into the pool (mainly targeted to kids) seems kinda creepy, especially probably for the guests.

5. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Very good point. Ground-floor retail/restaurant needs to be a part of ANY Bricktown/dowtown project.

6. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm not convinced the pool was the best use of space. It also looks really weird at street level looking in. I think it would have been much more suited for a basement and then they could have had a restaurant/lounge/meeting facilities where the pool area is. I know there intent was to get people out and about in Bricktown to eat, etc. and I'm all for that, just looking into the pool (mainly targeted to kids) seems kinda creepy, especially probably for the guests.
    It's not really any different than the canalside pool at the RI.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

7. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Which was also a design tragedy.

The RI canal-side pool is 100 times worse then that of the HI indoor pool at street level.

The RI canal-side pool is 100 times worse then that of the HI indoor pool at street level.
    Agreed. The pool at street level is actually kind of interesting.

I agree, however the RI pool if done right could have been really great. A multi-level pool with waterfalls and lots of landscaping could have been interesting.

Or they could have built a more urban looking building and had a rooftop pool.

12. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    [URL="http://stayonthehouse.com"]http://stayonthehouse.com[/URL

www.stayonthehouse.com
    Anyone get an email today saying they won a free night on the house. I DID!!! I totally forgot I entered the drawing. But i'm pretty excited about it. Here is what the email said.

"Congratulations! - You have been selected to stay “on the house” for our Grand Opening Event – Friday, April 17th!
    Experience Hampton “On the House” Housewarming Event!

The Hampton Inn & Suites Oklahoma City / Bricktown has gone from Hard Hats to Housewarming. On Friday, April 17th you will enjoy a free night away at the new Hampton Inn & Suites Oklahoma City / Bricktown – find adventure in the heart of the city for you and your significant other or a chance to reconnect and play as a family. That’s not all you’ll enjoy a true Oklahoma cookout, complete with barbecue, beer, soda, and all the fixings, fun blues music and entertainment for the whole family.

SAVE THE DATE – Friday, April 17th 2009
    Check in time – 3:00pm
    Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – 4:00pm- 4:30pm
    Grand Opening Housewarming Celebration – 4:30pm-7:00pm
    Stay Overnight for your – “On The House” Stay (register below)"

I also forgot I even entered, but after I saw your post I checked my email and I got the same email....

If I received one, it died in a delete fest. I think i'll just pretend i didn't receive it rather than regret I may have tossed it.

The Journal Record - Article

Hampton Inn hits home run with ballpark location
    by Kelley Chambers
    The Journal Record April 17, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Hampton Inn & Suites opened in Bricktown in February and was booked solid for several weeks.

Ryan Slater, director of sales at Bricktown’s new Hampton Inn & Suites, in one of the hotel’s many rooms with a view of the ballpark. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

The hotel opened in time to pick up business from the American Choral Directors Association convention, Big 12 basketball tournaments, Pre-Paid Legal Services Inc. yearly convention, and spring break.Now hotel managers are catching their breath and working to define the hotel’s niche in the downtown hotel market.

“April and May will really be the test to see what kind off customer we’re going to get,” said Ryan Slater, the Hampton’s sales director. “And summer will be a big test.”
    The nine-story, 200-room hotel at 300 E. Sheridan Ave. is the second to open in Bricktown. It is on the north side of the Bricktown Ballpark and attached to a parking garage.

Downtown has added several hotels over the past few years, from luxury and boutique to hotels catering to business travelers.

Slater said the Hampton is known as a place for business travelers, but the Bricktown branch is also positioned to attract families.

The pool area, called the Cool Pool, is a mini water park with slides, fountains, and plungers that shoot up jets of water.

Slater said on weekdays the hotel has had a stream of business travelers, but on weekends families have been checking in.

Jim Cowan, executive director of the Brickown Association, said the hotel fills an important niche in the district.

“As we grow as a district, being family-friendly is going to be important,” he said. “We continue to see that demographic come in on the weekends.”

The average room rate is also designed to give travelers a less expensive option downtown. The average rate is $109 per night and $119 for one of the 67 suites.
    Slater said another draw for the hotel is its views.

About half the rooms offer a bird’s-eye view of the ballpark and many others offer views of the downtown skyline. Slater said the rooms with a ballpark view are the most popular but are not priced higher than other rooms.

“I don’t think there’s a bad view in the hotel,” Slater said.

A 95-room Holiday Inn Express is planned at 101 E. Main St. in Bricktown.
    Cowan said he hopes the Holiday Inn comes to fruition, but even if it doesn’t, Bricktown has adequate rooms to meet demand. The other Bricktown hotel, a Courtyard by Marriott, has 225 rooms.

“We’re probably OK for right now, but as we continue to grow we will need some more hotel rooms in the next few years,” Cowan said.

Jeff Penner, executive director of the Greater OKC Hotel Association, said downtown offers a good variety and number of hotel rooms. Downtown and Bricktown combined have about 1,600 hotel rooms.

“The mix that is downtown presently is a very good mix,” he said. “And we’re at a very comfortable level right now.”

Cy Perkins, general manger of the Hampton, said he was pleased with the hotel’s performance so far. He also applauded his staff, which had only about 10 days to train and ready the hotel before it began filling up.

“We’ve just had a chance recently to catch our breath,” he said. “The good news is we know that we can take care of a full house.”

I wonder why Cowan didn't mention Candlewood Suites.

> didn't mention Candlewood Suites.

Perhaps it's not far enough along its progression to be noteworthy yet, or perhaps he doesn't consider it as being BT since it's east side of Lincoln. The latter would seem silly to me, but I'm not a spokesman for an area that's still defining itself. And perhaps there's another reason entirely.

Don't think it's the "progression" issue, because from what I understand, it's more a reality than the Holiday Inn Express that he did mention.

The Journal Record - Article

The other Bricktown hotel, a Courtyard by Marriott, has 225 rooms.
    I am assuming they are talking about the hotel next to the Ford Center?

Still ridiculous to not include a few balconies (opera or standard) on that south side over looking the field.

Don't think it's the "progression" issue, because from what I understand, it's more a reality than the Holiday Inn Express that he did mention.
    The Candlewood Suites pulled its application from the Bricktown Urban Design Committee... and the Holiday Inn Express has approval, so you might have that mixed around.

Quote Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
    Still ridiculous to not include a few balconies (opera or standard) on that south side over looking the field.
    It's all about liability and cost control nowadays...

I'm currently enjoying my night on the house. Beds are very comfy with great downtown views. Nice feel, overall. This is a very high quality property.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm currently enjoying my night on the house. Beds are very comfy with great downtown views. Nice feel, overall. This is a very high quality property.
    I am here enjoying a free stay as well. Just thought I would log on and rub it in everyones face before I get ready to out. Rooms are nice, I have a suite on the top floor over looking the baseball game. Great view.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    I am here enjoying a free stay as well. Just thought I would log on and rub it in everyones face before I get ready to out. Rooms are nice, I have a suite on the top floor over looking the baseball game. Great view.
    That is awesome! We stayed there when they first opened and we really enjoyed that place. Have fun!

Thread Information