Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Homeless Population

Blog Entries

Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Living near I-44 & Penn, the City has pretty much resolved the long-standing problems in that area.

There are still some panhandlers at the intersection, but no longer any sort of camp and when a tent pops up, it gets taken care of.

They transitioned most of those people into low-threshold housing; requiring sobriety just doesn't work for most this population and that's why they prefer to stay on the street. They are basically following the very successful model pioneered by Houston and continue to add more apartments and shelters.

It's all part of a new "Key to Home" program:
    https://www.okc.gov/government/key-to-home

Anyone can call 2-1-1 to be connected to resources.

BTW, James Cooper deserves a lot of credit in this area. That dude works his tail off and is always realistic about the compromises required to accomplish anything in politics. Asst. City Manager Aubrey McDermid has also been incredible. We have some really good people working for OKC these days.
    Housing the homeless is a passion for Cooper. He is a great public servant. People need to get involved with the Alliance and with the OKC Community Foundation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I’m told by officers up there on the street, that as they look back the weed issue was a turning point.
    So, where is the non anecdotal evidence pot has increased homelessness in OKC? Stoners opting to live on the streets? Stoners being violent? Uptick in theft of Doritos? Doubt you will find objective qualification of the idea that legalizing medicinal pot abetted an upsurge in homelessness in OKC. More likely it increases a bunch of old geezers who lose their keys and gain weight.

I just want to add that not all homeless have addicition issues or mental health issues, but many do have these issues. I agree the Key to Home is a good idea. I try to support City Rescue Mission and their programs. I cannot do the big things but if more people step up to help in small ways then maybe we can do big things. I just think we need to think out of the old box for solutions. Maybe even creating areas for the homeless to camp like back in the 30s with community camp area that would have a water tap and toilet/shower facilities. Low bar to camp there, I dont have the answers, just willing to help in a small way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, where is the non anecdotal evidence pot has increased homelessness in OKC? Stoners opting to live on the streets? Stoners being violent? Uptick in theft of Doritos? Doubt you will find objective qualification of the idea that legalizing medicinal pot abetted an upsurge in homelessness in OKC. More likely it increases a bunch of old geezers who lose their keys and gain weight.
    This is purely anecdotal, but I never smell weed being smoked near any homeless camps or gathering spots near my shop. See plenty of empty KD (Kentucky Deluxe) bottles. Never any weed.

Again, anecdotally, but from my POV, alcohol and meth are the two big addiction issues for the homeless.

6. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    This is purely anecdotal, but I never smell weed being smoked near any homeless camps or gathering spots near my shop. See plenty of empty KD (Kentucky Deluxe) bottles. Never any weed.
    I will back you up on this. In our area, it is mainly those struggling with Meth, Heroin, and Alcoholism. There are plenty who are just financially unable to house themselves. Some is purely about how medical bills and loss of income have happened to them. Others only get addicted after they have been on the street for other reasons completely.

I gave a ride to a homeless man a few years ago. He explained to me that he used meth when he was homeless because it kept him awake and suppressed his appetite.

8. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Mug, I am curious... did the homeless problem increase decrease or have little to no affect after marijuana was legalized?
    Increased SIGNIFICANTLY here in the Seattle area (and esp Portland, OR). But I think the real driver in homelessness was the reduction/elimination of Mental Health programs by Congress in the mid-2010s. That decision has impacted EVERY big city, esp those more liberal and/or warmer.

Marijuana is a factor, particularly if it can be done in public with no recourse. But mental health is the real driver regardless of drug/alcohol use.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

If you read what I was replying to it was referencing Denver's problem. That is simply what was stated by those who work Denver's streets day in and day out and witnessed the transition in real time.

Now, does the marijuana issue increase other things? Yes it has when you are "prescribing" people marijuana but then not dictating what strain and THC level. You then get users consuming a product with a level of THC that results in PCP like effects. Do I care? At this point nope, the people spoke and voted for it so that is where it stops.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Increased SIGNIFICANTLY here in the Seattle area (and esp Portland, OR). But I think the real driver in homelessness was the reduction/elimination of Mental Health programs by Congress in the mid-2010s. That decision has impacted EVERY big city, esp those more liberal and/or warmer.

Marijuana is a factor, particularly if it can be done in public with no recourse. But mental health is the real driver regardless of drug/alcohol use.
    Got any proof of that "SIGNIFICANT" increase? Pretty sure MJ legalziation (medical or recreational) does not have a direct (or primary) effect on increasing homelessness...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    I gave a ride to a homeless man a few years ago. He explained to me that he used meth when he was homeless because it kept him awake and suppressed his appetite.
    I would guess that meth use is why he was homeless, not meth use because he was homeless.

12. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Got any proof of that "SIGNIFICANT" increase? Pretty sure MJ legalziation (medical or recreational) does not have a direct (or primary) effect on increasing homelessness...
    observation. much more homeless in Seattle than before. Also much more violent! Research can be made if you google it.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The defunding of federally-funded mental health programs is absolutely a main driver. Drugs are also a big part but more so fentanyl and heroin not as much marijuana. MJ gets blamed because it happened in conjunction with the reduction in mental health resources.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Haven't had that experience because I'm not a business owner, but have read that Tulsa's approach is working out pretty well, here's something about it, be nice if OKC implemented something like that (not sure if they have or plan to):

https://www.newson6.com/story/658f65...l-health-calls
    OKC already does this.

15. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Yesterday, while I was at work, a homeless person was asked to leave our business's property. He refused to leave, and the police were called. One of our owners had a conversation with the Police, who showed up on the scene to ask this person to leave. It was stated to our owner by the Police that he should protect his property by owning an AR-15 and that the Police have been ordered to leave the homeless alone because they are dangerous. I'm not sure what this means, but it sure seems like they are refusing to help with the situation and referred to the mental health department. We have sent many types of communications to many different departments without help. Does anyone else seem to be having the same experience?
    I'm a property manager and have never been told that by the police. I have been told what they do by an officer and it is take them in, give them a ticket and release them. They will typically try to talk the person into getting assistance, but I've seen a few of the regulars in downtown decline any help. It has quieted down for us in the past few months, but we have also added some visible security like cameras and flood lights. 90% are agreeable and move along peacefully, only a few have really been troublesome, attacking or trying to intimidate security/ staff. The OKC Green Team has a homeless outreach program supposedly, but I have yet to see them make it to a person we've called in. I really wish we had more people and resources to assist them. So many of us are just a few bad months from being in their spot.

Housing the homeless is a passion for Cooper. He is a great public servant. People need to get involved with the Alliance and with the OKC Community Foundation.
    I am honestly so proud to have Cooper as my city council member.

observation. much more homeless in Seattle than before. Also much more violent! Research can be made if you google it.
    But is marijuana the primary driver of the increased homelessness? You claimed it, you cite something that proves it...

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I am honestly so proud to have Cooper as my city council member.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    OKC already does this.
    Good to know, I wasn't sure if they had started yet or not, I knew they had investigated doing it. Also GTK about the housing plan OKC has started, I've read for years (if not decades) that the best first thing to help the homeless is to get them into a home, and things fall into place fairly well after that, usually.

20. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    I'm a property manager and have never been told that by the police. I have been told what they do by an officer and it is take them in, give them a ticket and release them. They will typically try to talk the person into getting assistance, but I've seen a few of the regulars in downtown decline any help. It has quieted down for us in the past few months, but we have also added some visible security like cameras and flood lights. 90% are agreeable and move along peacefully, only a few have really been troublesome, attacking or trying to intimidate security/ staff. The OKC Green Team has a homeless outreach program supposedly, but I have yet to see them make it to a person we've called in. I really wish we had more people and resources to assist them. So many of us are just a few bad months from being in their spot.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It is nice to hear that some officers are trying to help them. I have met a lot of very nice people who are just down on their luck, in some cases through no fault of their own. It saddens me that we don't have the resources to help our homeless neighbors.

Blog Entries

Yes, we know that Googling produces only accurate information... especially when it has to do with social issues. And, anecdotal stories and "eyewitness accounts" certainly qualifies as factual data. If I notice something on my way to work and interpret it to my way of thinking, it must be true for the entire city, state, and country. Who needs accurate data from which to base knowledge and judgements anyway?

Thanks for those resources. We will start contacting those. Our Council Person refuses to even take our calls.
    Out of curiosity, who is your council person?

23. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Out of curiosity, who is your council person?
    Our business is located in Ward 6.

24. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Mug, I am curious... did the homeless problem increase decrease or have little to no affect after marijuana was legalized?
    It increased dramatically and transitioned. It went to younger pot-users coming from everywhere to Denver in search of marijuana-based jobs and living on the streets because there weren't enough. Then it changed to significantly more of the typical drug and alcohol addicteds and mentally-ill and to hundreds of fentanyl addicts and now, thousands of migrants to the sanctuary city (l'll be nice).

Just today, the mayor admitted the spending of hundreds of millions $ on buying hotels to mass the homeless together isn't working and is going to focus on spending a secretive more millions $ placing and paying for apartments.

Our business is located in Ward 6.
    I have found her to be pretty non responsive as well. My business is also in Ward 6

Thread Information