Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What businesses do you miss?

Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Anyone remember the Black Brick coffee house? How about the Sword in the Stone? Spent many happy hours at the Sword listening to (experiencing) live acoustic music. Mostly local, but a few national acts would stop in from time to time.
    Yep, but through a fog.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Yep, but through a fog.
    Same...Same..What was the location of the S&S? I know it was northside. The Brick was close to OCC right?

Was the Sword in the Stone in the downtown area? I want to say it was on Hudson about NW7th or 8th

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Same... Same... What was the location of the S&S? I know it was northside.
    The Brick was close to OCC right?
    OCU on N. McKinley.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Same...Same..What was the location of the S&S? I know it was northside. The Brick was close to OCC right?
    Sword in the Stone was about N. Hudson and 7th, right on the corner. The Black Brick was back in a neighborhood on N. McKinley, south of N.W. 23rd.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Brick was back in a neighborhood on N. McKinley, south of N.W. 23rd.
    It was north of N.W. 23rd near N.W. 26th and on the west side of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    It was north of N.W. 23rd near N.W. 26th and on the west side of the street.
    Right you are. North, not south.

Here's a few more that I haven't seen, this list is way far from being complete.

SAMBOS
    NICKERSON FARMS
    HOWARD JOHNSONS

Boy, I miss the Double R Bar Burger from Roy Rogers.

One business I am worried about DEL RANCHO, I live in Florida now and we don't got nothing like the steak sandwich supreme down here, heck they dont know much about chicken fried steak dinners either here. When I come back to Norman and the OKC metro, one of the first places I go to is Del Rancho to get one of those Steak sandwich supremes, however, I hardly to see much business there.

I know a few more places you guys and gals haven't brought up just trying to remember their names.

Quote Originally Posted by normanite View Post
    Here's a few more that I haven't seen, this list is way far from being complete.

SAMBOS
    NICKERSON FARMS
    HOWARD JOHNSONS

Boy, I miss the Double R Bar Burger from Roy Rogers.

One business I am worried about DEL RANCHO, I live in Florida now and we don't got nothing like the steak sandwich supreme down here, heck they dont know much about chicken fried steak dinners either here. When I come back to Norman and the OKC metro, one of the first places I go to is Del Rancho to get one of those Steak sandwich supremes, however, I hardly to see much business there.

I know a few more places you guys and gals haven't brought up just trying to remember their names.
    ================================================== ===========
    Welcome to the Dance:.....Del Rancho in Moore is Thriving as they have a new owner that wants to attempt to bring the franchise alive and well...

Here is another one,

THE KETTLE, they had a nice breakfast buffet that was cheap and good
    BIG EDS HAMBURGERS, did you ever try that great big family size one?
    A@W DRIVE INS, these were like the new sonics or like COITS, good frosty mugs of rootbeer, at least COITS still does the frosty mugs
    PINNOCHIOS PIZZA, I dont know if this was just a Norman thing, there was three of them there, one on East Lindsey, one in Stubbeman Village, and I think one in Brookhaven, the old type dark pizza places with some character, awesome salad and breadsticks, pretty good pizza too.
    ORINS PIZZA
    KENS PIZZA

I know some more got to remember the names though.

Glens steakhouse, I know it was listed but had fond memories of it and used to go there a lot of Sundays for their buffet

CAPTAIN D'S, not a bad fast food seafood joint like long johns
    PIZZA INN, I thought I saw one way up on the northwest side, not sure, but they used to be all over the place like pizza hut
    DUNKIN DONUTS, I know they are no longer in Oklahoma but down here in Florida they are flourishing, everybodys loves their coffee here
    WINCHELLS DONUTS, last time I was there I didn't see it

I got more coming, surprised you guys haven't thought of these yet

AMC, I think that is what it was called, this was a place you could get about anything, food, clothes, etc. Like an old time super walmart. It was somewhere in southwest OKC, off of may or penn, or western. Used to go to it all the time in the 70's. Drove by it last year when I visited my Mom and its like now covered in Mexican graffitti and the parking lot is like all potholes and mounds of old blacktop. Heck that whole area now looks like nothing but Mexican businesses. That whole area is looking pretty runned down. What happened?

There was another great big Grocery store, southside, just south of I240 off of santa fe or walker or western. Forgot the name of it, but its gone, used to have one heck of a meat market, especially seafood. Live lobsters, back then this was new, fresh octopuss, and the such, Forgot the name, maybe someone will remember and bring this back to memory.

LANGSTONS, the store in old CAPITOL HILL, used to go there just to go down in their basement to get deals on irregulars. Heck I bought my first and only pair of cowboy boots there. Lizard skin toes and leather. Wore those boots all over the place for years, heck I wore those on a trip to Europe, went into old Yugoslavia, had to wait at the border for a visa with some redheaded russian type looking women carrying a machine gun. Never forget it, boy did I stand out, cowboy boots, levis, IZOD shirt on.

Maybe Langstons is still there, I dont know, what about WHACKERS? WACKERS had a lot of cowboy type clothing and boots also, Is it still there?

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ================================================== ===========
    Welcome to the Dance:.....Del Rancho in Moore is Thriving as they have a new owner that wants to attempt to bring the franchise alive and well...
    Del Rancho at 32 and Western also has a new owner, and have cleaned up the place

CAPTAIN D'S, not a bad fast food seafood joint like long johns
    PIZZA INN, I thought I saw one way up on the northwest side, not sure, but they used to be all over the place like pizza hut
    DUNKIN DONUTS, I know they are no longer in Oklahoma but down here in Florida they are flourishing, everybodys loves their coffee here
    WINCHELLS DONUTS, last time I was there I didn't see it

I got more coming, surprised you guys haven't thought of these yet
    Some of these places are indeed still around. Langstons, Captain D's, Pizza Inn, Dunkin Donuts. Still alive and well. The Del Ranchos are not as numerous, but you'll be glad to know that the last time I was on Lindsey in Norman, that one was still doing business, as well as the Classic 50's Drive-In(you didn't mention it but you were thinking about it, weren't you?).

Well the DEL RANCHO on East Lindsey in Norman don't get much business. I come up and visit Norman and the Metro once a year. Never see any cars parked out there hardly compared to Sonic and Classic 50's.

Sonic sucks in my opinion, horrible food for the money you pay, last time I went there ordered a footlong chili cheese dog, paid three bucks, little tiny footlong hotdog, hardly any cheese and chili on it. Will never go to SONIC ever again in my life.

Classic 50's will get my business, love their happy hour drinks.

The places I never want to see in that category to ever go out of business are businesses like CLASSIC 50'S, SOONER DAIRY LUNCH in Norman, COITS, and CHARCOAL OVEN in northwest OKC!

Screw SONIC, there is no comparison! I will never go back to SONIC ever again. That franchise has ruined the old time establishments that were so much better!

I forgot DEL RANCHO, one of a kind establishment, let's hope they stay around forever! You know the DEL RANCHO in Norman years before it became DEL RANCHO, was a place called JONES'YS, this was like those old time drive up places like they had from the 50's to 70's, not a bad place either.

Just like I mentioned above the old A@W DRIVE IN, there was one on Robinson in Norman, old style frosty mugs like COITS still has. These places were better than SONIC, heck the old DAIRY QUEENS had better burgers than SONIC, dip cones,etc.

Here's the places I like to go to when I come back to OKC Metro. I haven't lived in Oklahoma since 94. Usually when I come back to visit I stay a few days to a couple of months. But these places when I'm hungry and want what is good, things that I can't get here in a major metropilis like Tampa Bay which has like 3 million people. You would be shocked at how I think. Tampa Bay has better Seafood and Italian restaurants but thats it.

When I want awesome BBQ, I go to the COUNTY LINE RESTAURANT! You cant beat the cadillac buffet dinner there! Vans pork stand, which used to be Lindeys is not a bad second choice but COUNTY LINE is original, used to be a speakeasy in the 30's I love the little private side tables. There is a story to tell about them in themselves, all about Prohibition.

When I want Chinese Buffet I go to PANDA GARDEN in Norman, best Buffet in all of OKC metro.

When I want good pizza buffet, I go to MAZZIOS, there is no place here in Tampa Bay that has that good of a pizza buffet. We got CiCi's, they suck in comparison!

Burgers and the like, I try to hit COITS, SOONER DAIRY LUNCH in Norman, CHARCOAL OVEN IN NW OKC, DEL RANCHO for that steak sandwich supreme, and guess what BRAUMS. BRAUMS got good burgers and the real deal when it comes to ice cream and BANANA SPLITS. We got nothing like these places here in Tampa Bay.

Greek food, well Tampa Bay is the capital of all greek peoples in the USA, good greek, but for the money and the place, go down to campus corner in Norman to the Greek House. I wish that place was here. You cannot beat it!

And last but not least, I love my Tex Mex food. It aint here in Tampa Bay, they suck here. I usually try to hit Tarahamurus in Norman , but last time I went there they went down in my book, remember Cocina De Minos, they used to be the best, but they went down the drain, same thing with the Border Crossing in Norman, used to be really good, but now they are out of business because they changed and served up like microwavable mexican food, CHELINOS at least the last time I went there was still pretty good, some might mention I think its called TEDS, but I was not impressed at all with that place. For franchise Mexican food, ON THE BORDER is pretty good!

German food, My mom makes the best, but there is a pretty good place on Sooner Road in Southeast OKC!

There's lots of places also I am sure I have forgotten, but for the most place these are the places I like to visit when I am hungry when I come back to visit Oklahoma, places I crave and miss dearly, because honestly the food places here in Tampa Bay are frankly depressing. You don't realize it but the OKC metro has some pretty good places to go and pick up some food or sit down and eat at.

Prunepicker Guest

SAMBOS
    NICKERSON FARMS
    HOWARD JOHNSONS
    Yesterday we drove by one of the old Nickerson Farm buildings. I remember
    a pipe coming out from the front door so the bees could access the indoor
    hive.

Sambo's was a great place to hang out late at night.

Seems that I remember Sambos just changed their name to Denny's. The name Sambos and the interior design showing little black sambo and the tigers became politically incorrect. Up until a few years ago Denny's was regularly hit with law suits for refusing to serve blacks.

The Del Rancho in Norman has not done booming business since the early 1990's. But it's steady enough to stay open.

For GREAT German food head to Old Germany in Choctaw or Ingrid's Kitchen, north okc. Ain't that right Prunepicker?

The grocery store was at 240 and Walker, Pratt's. (probably another victim of Walmart)

How about Robertson's (I think that was the name) ham sandwiches?

And then there are no convenience stores anymore. I was in a so called store and they charged a guy 20 cents for a pack of matches!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Seems that I remember Sambos just changed their name to Denny's. The name Sambos and the interior design showing little black sambo and the tigers became politically incorrect. Up until a few years ago Denny's was regularly hit with law suits for refusing to serve blacks.

The Del Rancho in Norman has not done booming business since the early 1990's. But it's steady enough to stay open.

For GREAT German food head to Old Germany in Choctaw or Ingrid's Kitchen, north okc. Ain't that right Prunepicker?

The grocery store was at 240 and Walker, Pratt's. (probably another victim of Walmart)

And then there are no convenience stores anymore. I was in a so called store and they charged a guy 20 cents for a pack of matches!!!!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He was probably going to burn down the building....Pratt's is probably not the store he is talking about. The right building but not the right owner....Check out who the original grocers were in that building. the name has slipped my mind. AMC has sold to the Salvation Army....Sooner Dairy in Norman is a good place...Jimmy (the owner) is a good friend. Pizza...Try Jo's in Purcell or Rodney's in Purcell....Great Pizza....

Chief auto parts SW 23 and Walker, The 7-up plant at SW 4th and walker. The Black Brick northside hippe house. How about Carey Place it was scary, I drove down the street just the other day. Clementimes night club in Penn square. 21st Electric company club. The Elm Tree bar off Sw 29th and May bad ass Biker bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He was probably going to burn down the building....Pratt's is probably not the store he is talking about. The right building but not the right owner....Check out who the original grocers were in that building. the name has slipped my mind. AMC has sold to the Salvation Army....Sooner Dairy in Norman is a good place...Jimmy (the owner) is a good friend. Pizza...Try Jo's in Purcell or Rodney's in Purcell....Great Pizza....
    Was it Plett's?

I don't think it was Pratt's, I think it was the owners before. Right location though, Walker and I240.

Robertsons, We used to always stop there when going south to Dallas or Padre Island trips. Great Ham Sandwiches. I think there is still one in Marietta. Used to stop in Marietta also at the cookie factory for those cheap broken cookies and such. They no longer have this shop from what I heard.

Last edited by normanite; 11-02-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: adding a picture

Prunepicker Guest

Seems that I remember Sambos just changed their name to Denny's. The
    name Sambos and the interior design showing little black sambo and the
    tigers became politically incorrect.
    No, Sambo's never became Denny's. Sambo was a smart little kid who
    got the tigers to chase each other around a tree so fast they turned to
    butter. Sambo was really from India. There are no tigers in Africa.

For GREAT German food head to Old Germany in Choctaw or Ingrid's
    Kitchen, north okc. Ain't that right Prunepicker?

Ingrid's is very good and Robertson's has great ham sandwiches. The
    closest one is on I-40 at the Seminole exit.

Thread Information