Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hideaway Pizza

Default Re: Hideaway Pizza

I wonder how their expansion locations are doing, such as Enid or Plano.

2. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Too bad my wife doesn't like their pizza. I can use the fried mushrooms as an incentive, though.
    Not liking HAW pizza could be grounds for divorce. Just joking. Kinda.

3. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I really like the 2-story layout at 50th & Western and glad to see they are replicating it.
    Agree completely. We go to NW Exp because we live close. But we like the Western store a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Too bad my wife doesn't like their pizza. I can use the fried mushrooms as an incentive, though.
    My wife & her family love Hideaway. I on the other hand think it's just ok and I'd rather venture to one of the many other great options we have now. They do a great job all around but it's nothing special IMO. Give me Halls, Empire, Gusto, Sauce Sicilian, Dado's to name a few before Hideaway. I wish Andolini's from Tulsa would open a spot here. This will be a great spot for them but wish it would have been something else. We are closer to the one on Memorial as it is.

I think Hideaway has the absolute best pepperoni pizza on the planet. They have the perfect red sauce and super good crust. And their ranch dressing just is the best and that they don't nickel and dime you for it is even better. Can't wait for the new one to be built on Western, hopefully it will help lessen the wait times at the original one by UCO.

that’s a large piece of land on 178 and western. Any other plans for it?

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I think Hideaway has the absolute best pepperoni pizza on the planet. They have the perfect red sauce and super good crust. And their ranch dressing just is the best and that they don't nickel and dime you for it is even better. Can't wait for the new one to be built on Western, hopefully it will help lessen the wait times at the original one by UCO.
    It may be the first Edmond location, but it is not the original location, or even in the first wave of expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It may be the first Edmond location, but it is not the original location, or even in the first wave of expansion.
    I meant the original in Edmond. Everyone knows Hideaway was born in Stillwater. But thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I meant the original in Edmond. Everyone knows Hideaway was born in Stillwater. But thanks.
    It's kinda both...

The original Hideaway Pizza did open in Stillwater in 1957, and traces its roots back to the Dermer Family and is still the original. Known as "The Hideaway Pizza" and is the single location in Stillwater. It operates separate from the other Hideaway Pizza's.

Former employees of "The Hideaway" in Stillwater opened "Hideaway Pizza" on Cherry Street in Tulsa in 1993 and then started the expansion to other locations, including the one is Edmond next to the UCO Jazz Lab in 2006 or so. I believe this is the same group of ownership of the current franchise model with the multiple locations in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas. Known as "Hideaway Pizza"

Not really. Norman had a HIDEAWAY location on Jenkins in thw early 80's. I sold beer for them on gamedays

11. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Not really. Norman had a HIDEAWAY location on Jenkins in thw early 80's. I sold beer for them on gamedays
    The history on Hideaway's website is pretty much what scottk posted. But I also thought Hideaway was around outside of Stillwater earlier than 1993. So I'm completely confused. As is often the case.

All I can go by is my own experience. I ate pizza there, drank there, and worked there. Just south of Lindsey on Jenkins. In 1983.

From the OU Daily, 4/20/83:

^ Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Wow....never knew about the Norman location pre-Cherry Street and the other expansions. Awesome finding the coupon from the paper.

I wonder why it's absent from the Hideaway web history?

https://www.hideawaypizza.com/history

^

I don't think that first iteration of Hideaway in Norman lasted very long; like maybe only a year or two.

17. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza

^

I don't think that first iteration of Hideaway in Norman lasted very long; like maybe only a year or two.
    Probably. I barely remember it being there. But I was commuting to Norman and trying to work enough to afford going to school starting in the fall of '80 so I didn't hang around and eat much. Except for FB or BB game days.

18. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza

^^^^^^^^^
    My guess would be that Richard and Marti Dermer tried to open a Norman Hideaway in the early ‘80s, only a couple of years after they bought the original Hideaway (unbelievably they weren’t the first owners), and that they ended up bailing on that effort.

Everything that came later - EVERYTHING - was from a second company started by former Hideaway employees in the ‘90s. All of the stores besides the original in Stillwater are owned by that later startup, which licensed the name.

By the way, Richard Dermer (R.I.P.) was so cool to me 15+ years ago when I was opening up an Oklahoma-themed store. I wanted to include kites in my offerings, and someone suggested I call him to discuss. He didn’t know me from Adam, but he was so generous with his time; spent probably a half hour or more talking me through the idea, talking about the Oklahoma kite scene, etc.

^

It closed in 85. I don't know when it opened but I darkened the doorway 83-85.
    I laughed when I noticed the pizza coupon was published on 4/20

https://www.hideawaypizzafl.com/menu.html
    The web site history does not mention this Florida store either. They claim to use the recipe from the 50's.

21. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza

https://www.hideawaypizzafl.com/menu.html
    The web site history does not mention this Florida store either. They claim to use the recipe from the 50's.
    The menu is also significantly different.

Yes, the original Hideaway in Stillwater features many different items on the menu. We learned about the story about 10 years ago when driving through Stillwater we stopped to eat there. We couldn't find the garlic knots (my daughter's favorite) so we asked why they weren't on the menu. We were then schooled on it, nicely of course. It's a neat story.

We happened to recently watch some documentary regarding pizza wars in Windsor, Ontario. We noticed one pizza restaurant from the early 1950s that featured a line-up of VW beetles they used for delivery. We quickly made the comparison to Hideaway and their iconic beetles. If you like pizza, I've posted the link to the documentary for you. We thought it was great.

https://pizzadocumentary.com

One of my best friends went to to the Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute back in the mid-1980's and one of his cabin mates was the son (Craig?) of the owners of Hideaway. My friend came back with lot's of cool stories. The only one I remember was worthy of a movie scene. It was an invite-only anniversary or birthday party in the restaurant and a very large "item" was brought out on a large pizza pan, for all to enjoy.

We need a Hideaway in Midwest City

I'm trying to picture it...

On that Lindsey & Jenkins corner, O'Connell's faced north. Was Hideaway in that strip center facing Jenkins?

Of course, the university ended up buying that property for what would become the new dorms, and O'Connell's moved to Campus Corner.

Thread Information