Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Homeless Population

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Homeless Population

It is very good to see OKC being proactive in this situation. Denver has let the problem run out of control and is spending hundreds of millions $ buying hotels in residential areas, building tiny home communities and sweeping encampments. They are doing this at the expense of mowing parks, license and permit services and a reduction of the police force.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It is very good to see OKC being proactive in this situation. Denver has let the problem run out of control and is spending hundreds of millions $ buying hotels in residential areas, building tiny home communities and sweeping encampments. They are doing this at the expense of mowing parks, license and permit services and a reduction of the police force.
    Mug, I am curious... did the homeless problem increase decrease or have little to no affect after marijuana was legalized?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Mug, I am curious... did the homeless problem increase decrease or have little to no affect after marijuana was legalized?
    I think alcohol is way, way more a problem than pot.

I’m told by officers up there on the street, that as they look back the weed issue was a turning point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I’m told by officers up there on the street, that as they look back the weed issue was a turning point.
    So, where is the non anecdotal evidence pot has increased homelessness in OKC? Stoners opting to live on the streets? Stoners being violent? Uptick in theft of Doritos? Doubt you will find objective qualification of the idea that legalizing medicinal pot abetted an upsurge in homelessness in OKC. More likely it increases a bunch of old geezers who lose their keys and gain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, where is the non anecdotal evidence pot has increased homelessness in OKC? Stoners opting to live on the streets? Stoners being violent? Uptick in theft of Doritos? Doubt you will find objective qualification of the idea that legalizing medicinal pot abetted an upsurge in homelessness in OKC. More likely it increases a bunch of old geezers who lose their keys and gain weight.
    This is purely anecdotal, but I never smell weed being smoked near any homeless camps or gathering spots near my shop. See plenty of empty KD (Kentucky Deluxe) bottles. Never any weed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    If you read what I was replying to it was referencing Denver's problem. That is simply what was stated by those who work Denver's streets day in and day out and witnessed the transition in real time.

Now, does the marijuana issue increase other things? Yes it has when you are "prescribing" people marijuana but then not dictating what strain and THC level. You then get users consuming a product with a level of THC that results in PCP like effects. Do I care? At this point nope, the people spoke and voted for it so that is where it stops.

8. Default Re: Homeless Population

Increased SIGNIFICANTLY here in the Seattle area (and esp Portland, OR). But I think the real driver in homelessness was the reduction/elimination of Mental Health programs by Congress in the mid-2010s. That decision has impacted EVERY big city, esp those more liberal and/or warmer.

Marijuana is a factor, particularly if it can be done in public with no recourse. But mental health is the real driver regardless of drug/alcohol use.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Increased SIGNIFICANTLY here in the Seattle area (and esp Portland, OR). But I think the real driver in homelessness was the reduction/elimination of Mental Health programs by Congress in the mid-2010s. That decision has impacted EVERY big city, esp those more liberal and/or warmer.

Marijuana is a factor, particularly if it can be done in public with no recourse. But mental health is the real driver regardless of drug/alcohol use.
    Got any proof of that "SIGNIFICANT" increase? Pretty sure MJ legalziation (medical or recreational) does not have a direct (or primary) effect on increasing homelessness...

10. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Got any proof of that "SIGNIFICANT" increase? Pretty sure MJ legalziation (medical or recreational) does not have a direct (or primary) effect on increasing homelessness...
    observation. much more homeless in Seattle than before. Also much more violent! Research can be made if you google it.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

The defunding of federally-funded mental health programs is absolutely a main driver. Drugs are also a big part but more so fentanyl and heroin not as much marijuana. MJ gets blamed because it happened in conjunction with the reduction in mental health resources.

12. Default Re: Homeless Population

It increased dramatically and transitioned. It went to younger pot-users coming from everywhere to Denver in search of marijuana-based jobs and living on the streets because there weren't enough. Then it changed to significantly more of the typical drug and alcohol addicteds and mentally-ill and to hundreds of fentanyl addicts and now, thousands of migrants to the sanctuary city (l'll be nice).

Just today, the mayor admitted the spending of hundreds of millions $ on buying hotels to mass the homeless together isn't working and is going to focus on spending a secretive more millions $ placing and paying for apartments.

Blog Entries

It increased dramatically and transitioned. It went to younger pot-users coming from everywhere to Denver in search of marijuana-based jobs and living on the streets because there weren't enough. Then it changed to significantly more of the typical drug and alcohol addicteds and mentally-ill and to hundreds of fentanyl addicts and now, thousands of migrants to the sanctuary city (l'll be nice).

Just today, the mayor admitted the spending of hundreds of millions $ on buying hotels to mass the homeless together isn't working and is going to focus on spending a secretive more millions $ placing and paying for apartments.
    This sounds very anecdotal. Can you supply some linked data showing increases, correlation and causes?

Reading through reporting from the Denver area mostly blames the increasing cost of housing as Denver has become a very expensive city to live in. They speculate as to immigrants being bused in, but I cannot find numbers to support. It shows that women and their children are a large and growing part of the problem. Almost 10,000 kids/students are served in Denver. But the mj industry isn’t cited in the article or numbers quoted.

We as a society need to put more into care for those with mental heath issues. It is not always a money issue but having the tools to get the people into the care they need and having the tools to keep them getting the care they need. I know of two cases well families with money were unable to keep their loved ones in care because the person did not want help for their mental issues. For those without money/family that cares, what are they to do? They are on the streets. There needs to be a better way.

15. Default Re: Homeless Population

I honestly think that folks commenting on homelessness in OKC should understand the (hopefully) seismic shift underway related to how OKC addresses the issue, and that begins with understanding the new “Key to Home” program. It’s not an issue that can be solved overnight. Short of becoming a police state and locking people up simply for being destitute and not having a place to sleep, there’s not a simple way to make the issue “go away,” and criminalizing homelessness doesn’t “fix” anything. In fact, it breaks more than it fixes.

Though Key to Home is quite new, it has gained lots of traction. Nearly 1500 individuals were re-housed in 2023. If you take some time to actually read about it, and take a look at who is involved, you’ll understand that OKC is highly committed to getting a handle on homelessness: https://www.okc.gov/government/about-key-to-home

Of course I’m sure few if any commenters here will actually take the time to click through the links provided.

I just want to add that not all homeless have addicition issues or mental health issues, but many do have these issues. I agree the Key to Home is a good idea. I try to support City Rescue Mission and their programs. I cannot do the big things but if more people step up to help in small ways then maybe we can do big things. I just think we need to think out of the old box for solutions. Maybe even creating areas for the homeless to camp like back in the 30s with community camp area that would have a water tap and toilet/shower facilities. Low bar to camp there, I dont have the answers, just willing to help in a small way.

Again, anecdotally, but from my POV, alcohol and meth are the two big addiction issues for the homeless.

I gave a ride to a homeless man a few years ago. He explained to me that he used meth when he was homeless because it kept him awake and suppressed his appetite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    I gave a ride to a homeless man a few years ago. He explained to me that he used meth when he was homeless because it kept him awake and suppressed his appetite.
    I would guess that meth use is why he was homeless, not meth use because he was homeless.

20. Default Re: Homeless Population

That was a timeline Rover. MJ was legalized in CO in 2012. This is 2024. As for you're not being able to find information, you must not have tried very hard. I was asked and l gave an answer to that person. If you don't like my answer, do your own research and maybe do a better job.

Blog Entries

That was a timeline Rover. MJ was legalized in CO in 2012. This is 2024. As for you're not being able to find information, you must not have tried very hard. I was asked and l gave an answer to that person. If you don't like my answer, do your own research and maybe do a better job.
    I did research and found no such correlation that is cause and affect related to mj legalization. Correlation does not equal causation.

22. Default Re: Homeless Population

I am trying to get back to the main topic. Here is a recent article on the Reconvening of the Interagency Council on Homelessness.

Thread Information