Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Half (9000 Broadway)

1. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Half the freshmen at my high school could have come up with a better site plan?
    To be fair, most of the surface parking in the center so it won't be very visible from the road... but I'm going to agree with that... you could say the glass is Half empty on this one...

Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Half empty. I like that.

Half of what I hate about surface parking is that it's visible as a sea of dreariness. The other half of what I hate is that it completely discourages any kind of walkability or interaction. And yes, I know, this is a highway development. It's not meant to be a "statement" of some kind. But I'm half convinced nobody thought about anything other than "cutting and pasting." And that's why I'm only half-worried that this will actually turn out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Half empty. I like that.

Half of what I hate about surface parking is that it's visible as a sea of dreariness. The other half of what I hate is that it completely discourages any kind of walkability or interaction. And yes, I know, this is a highway development. It's not meant to be a "statement" of some kind. But I'm half convinced nobody thought about anything other than "cutting and pasting." And that's why I'm only half-worried that this will actually turn out this way.
    And that's what we call the haves and have-nots...

Note the number of cars for Chicken n Pickle in the first photo.

5. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Gorgeous

Hey, would ya look at that, a new apartment complex that actually has balconies.

7. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

^^^^^^
    Yes, and that photo above is an excellent example of why balconies typically don't happen on apartments in the urban core, which is where most posters here get critical of the lack thereof. If you'll look closely at that photo you'll see that the buildings are set back from the sidewalk to make room for the balconies without hanging them out over a walkway. In the case of this development it is easy to do, because they own ALL of the property and they own it for next to nothing. In the suburbs square footage is easy (and cheap) to come by.

In the urban core, OTOH, square footage is at a premium, and setting buildings back from the lot line to accommodate balconies would make the price per square foot skyrocket, and make any project tough to pencil. And to be clear, City code specifically precludes balconies from hanging out over sidewalks, in order to protect the public from falling objects and even from falling balconies years down the road, when deferred maintenance can be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^
    Yes, and that photo above is an excellent example of why balconies typically don't happen on apartments in the urban core, which is where most posters here get critical of the lack thereof. If you'll look closely at that photo you'll see that the buildings are set back from the sidewalk to make room for the balconies without hanging them out over a walkway. In the case of this development it is easy to do, because they own ALL of the property and they own it for next to nothing. In the suburbs square footage is easy (and cheap) to come by.

In the urban core, OTOH, square footage is at a premium, and setting buildings back from the lot line to accommodate balconies would make the price per square foot skyrocket, and make any project tough to pencil. And to be clear, City code specifically precludes balconies from hanging out over sidewalks, in order to protect the public from falling objects and even from falling balconies years down the road, when deferred maintenance can be an issue.
    Thank you for this explanation, have always been curious about that.

9. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Thank you for this explanation, have always been curious about that.
    You're welcome; happy to be of service!

Rezoning plans have been filed for the Elm Hotel.

Do not know the flag at this point.

11. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Wow, this looks nice... doesn't seem like one of those "too good to be true" renderings either so that gives me hope.

Hope you had fun watching Neighbors From Hell after this video finished lol

I am not trying to be a debbie downer, but the ADG Blatt (the firm designing the Broadvue apartments) needs to have someone spell check the info on their website. This is directly from the link below:

The BroadVue Apartments is a new apartment complex that is planned to apart of The Haft development which includes Chicken N Pickle, Flex Bewhouse, and Dolese Brother headquarters. ADG Blatt provided designed and planning for the new complex.

Formerly called 9000 Broadway, BroadVue Apartments is a 4-story complex with center courtyard with pool. The complex will include pool, dog parks, parking garage and outdoor lounge areas. The lake facing apartment complex will feature up-to-date amenities.

Future restaurant and commercial development is planned for The Haft.

https://adgblatt.com/broadvue-1

any update on Andretti's?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    any update on Andretti's?
    Filed for their building permit, should be starting soon.

The walls on the PlanGroup building started going up on Monday. They were cast on location and a crane is lifting them into place.

16. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Had dinner last night at Andretti’s in Orlando while visiting town for a conference. Interesting place. I guess it hadn’t fully registered with me that it’s essentially just a giant FEC, but definitely fun and it will do well at the Half. Will without question put pressure on other local FECs.

Was disappointed to not be able to view racing, as the only place you can do that was in a second floor bar, which was closed for a private party related to the convention I was attending. Unfortunately I registered late for the show, and that party was sold out by the time I got around to it. The good news is that I was told that was an old floor plan and that the OKC location will have a much better viewing area, available to all.

Also met the manager of the Texas region, who will be over OKC. They’re looking forward to getting the market up and running. He hadn’t yet been to the site, so I was able to give him some market intel. All in all looks like it should be a big hit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-02 100260.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	18547

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-02 100259.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	18548

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-02 100237.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	18549

Not sure if this is better suited for this thread or the Broadway Extension thread, but looks like plans were approved for technical evaluation this morning at the City Council meeting across the highway from the Half development.

The application was to allow commercial, office & warehousing use and development.

Pete, is Andretti's ever going to break ground? Also, a bunch of us are wishing fervently for ANY restaurant to begin construction.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Pete, is Andretti's ever going to break ground? Also, a bunch of us are wishing fervently for ANY restaurant to begin construction.
    Andretti is still working through the permitting process, typical for a project of that size.

Although restaurants and a hotel have been proposed there have been no permits filed as of yet, so it's going to be a while.

According to the Journal Record:

1. Andretti should break ground soon and be open by 'spring break' 2025
    2. The Skyline Hotel with rooftop bar should break ground in the 2nd quarter of this year and take 2 years to build
    3. The Broadvue Apartments should open in March or April
    4. New full-service restaurants with patios will be coming to the lake to the west of the hotel
    5. There will be two quick-service restaurants coming to the existing development area
    6. OnCue will be on the NE corner of Wilshire and Broadway and anchor the next phase, which will add about 45 acres to the existing 45 acre site

Very excited about all this since I work in the area.

This site plan is for an updated zoning request for what will be the south part of The Half.

The labels are my own and represent my best guesses as to what these buildings may represent.

Other than the OnCue (which owns its property separately) all of this is completely conceptual and I'm sure it will change greatly based on demand. Keep in mind the surrounding area is seeing tons of medical development, so I would expect more here.

Reminder the new Belle Isle High School will be soon starting construction just to the east.

The nicest thing for me is there will finally be a connection with Wilshire so I don't have to go all the way north to Britton to go south on 235

I've heard there's going to be a new school in this area. Does anyone know where?

Quote Originally Posted by kevok View Post
    I've heard there's going to be a new school in this area. Does anyone know where?
    Yes, a brand new OKC high school called Belle Isle.

John Marshall and Northwest are completely overrun, so this will alleviate some pressure from both.

Thread Information