Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: St. Anthony Hospital

Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Heard a rumor about St. Anthony potentially taking over OUMC/Children's. Has anyone heard anything?
    Sorry in advance if this was the wrong place to post this.

2. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

If they "take over", it will just be the management of the overall facility. Remember that OU Med Center isn't really an OU entity. It's managed by HCA (Facilities | HCA Healthcare). They simply license the OU name and it's logo to cover the all-encompassing OU Medical Center campus. So if Saints takes things over, you aren't going to see the place renamed St. Anthony Downtown 2 or anything. You probably won't know anything different. They simply will be the behind the scenes managers of the campus and all of it's guts.

For Oklahoma, it worked out well that a single corporation was able to snag so much at once in the area......it doesn't always work out that way. There's also more to the story of what it means to be OU Med Center, but it's all legal blabbing about hospital names/groups/contracts/etc.

3. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

any pics?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

5. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

That new building does not look good. They really needed the previously proposed awning to add visual interest and cover the building systems... :/

Blog Entries

It may not be up to Clevelands high standards, but in person it looks pretty good. Someday in OKC we may do something acceptable....maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It may not be up to Clevelands high standards, but in person it looks pretty good. Someday in OKC we may do something acceptable....maybe.
    Nah, it'll never happen.

8. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    What is your point? I'm talking about the brick veneer, use of EIFS, the poorly disguised building systems, and overall design. Unless a lot changes, it sort of looks like the rest of St. Anthony's campus, sans the beautiful historic components that are still standing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

It looks very much like the St Francis Expansion in Tulsa except a bit smaller and not pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What is your point? I'm talking about the brick veneer, use of EIFS, the poorly disguised building systems, and overall design. Unless a lot changes, it sort of looks like the rest of St. Anthony's campus, sans the beautiful historic components that are still standing.
    Personally, I think it looks good. But, I'm just a dumbass Okie. Apparently we Okies don't know what looks good and bad and continually have to be told by outsiders. Thanks for trying to edeekate us hicks.

HangryHippo Guest

I think it could look better, but overall, I think it's a nice addition to their facility and it's nice to see something other than surface parking there.

Blog Entries

There is not a single building built that can't be improved on...none. But many are very good projects that improve the community and add to the urban fabric. Going from considering moving away from a less than dynamic core, to investing to grow and improve and become integral to the city center, this expansion is very welcome. We can debate colors, forms and subtleties all day long and be as critical as our soul dictates after the fact. But, it is a quality expansion that enhances the neighborhood.

Walking past here frequently, I can say it looks nice in person and adds a lot of mass to that intersection, which is essentially the center of Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Personally, I think it looks good. But, I'm just a dumbass Okie. Apparently we Okies don't know what looks good and bad and continually have to be told by outsiders. Thanks for trying to edeekate us hicks.
    Spartan is an Okie, just works in Cleveland.

I agree it looks much better in person than the photos. I know my other half is ready for it to be open as he will be working in it and is ready for some new stuff!..lol

16. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    It looks very much like the St Francis Expansion in Tulsa except a bit smaller and not pink.
    The far left end of the addition on that rendering looks so similar to certain views of Price Tower and (especially) the Classen Tower that I think it's probably not an accident.

Blog Entries

Agree about the Price Tower homage.

Unless a lot changes, it sort of looks like the rest of St. Anthony's campus, sans the beautiful historic components that are still standing.
    Odd that the architect would want to fit into the aesthetic of the existing campus, isn't it?

19. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

The defensiveness and combativeness is kind of crazy. Reminds me of 1st year arch student reviews. Nowhere did I say that OKC isn't capable of better (in fact it almost always does better), and nowhere did I say that of St. Anthony either.

In fact...

This is beautiful. It takes the (honestly) ugly St. Anthony's tower, which I think was inspired by the also-ugly and very similar County Jail that was a great design if you haven't heard, and blends it into something better. It doesn't compete, but rather recognizes the need for a design update on this campus, and uses this building project to mesh with its surroundings in making a whole greater than the sum of parts. That's what good design does.

What was built is lazy, ugly, and hideous. St. Anthony threatened to abandon Midtown, and if they had, we would be talking about Midtown as if it were C2S, and C2S as if it were East Reno / AICC area. A really bad thing was averted and as a result, Midtown as we all know it, is well on its way to realizing its potential (perhaps the most of any district).

That said. This is a project that a legitimate process is legally and ethically required to evaluate on its own merits, rather than because we like someone, are glad they didn't leave, or are desperate that they'll stay, or whatever. I'm just calling that out because it's what happened in my opinion. Anyone who thinks its beautiful is more than welcome to that opinion, but honestly the massing of materiality is hard to look at, especially from Walker Circle. Below is a list of some of the ugliest buildings that we keep replicating, while we tear down awesome buildings like the KerMac, Hale Photo, Film Exchange, and especially the Preftakes block.

It's also notable that St. Anthony owns a lot of Midtown's worst properties, including faceless buildings, parking lots, gravel lots even, etc.

Any idea what they plan to do with the block to the south between 8th and 9th, lee and shartel?

Quote Originally Posted by OkieRedRaider View Post
    Any idea what they plan to do with the block to the south between 8th and 9th, lee and shartel?
    Saints actually owns a bunch of property to the south and west of the hospital.

I was hopeful they would do more things like Lisbon Lofts and I know they had at one time considered doing more housing on a lot of those lots, but my understanding is there has been a change in management and now they are pretty indifferent about doing anything more any time soon.

The defensiveness and combativeness is kind of crazy. Reminds me of 1st year arch student reviews. Nowhere did I say that OKC isn't capable of better (in fact it almost always does better), and nowhere did I say that of St. Anthony either.

In fact...

This is beautiful. It takes the (honestly) ugly St. Anthony's tower, which I think was inspired by the also-ugly and very similar County Jail that was a great design if you haven't heard, and blends it into something better. It doesn't compete, but rather recognizes the need for a design update on this campus, and uses this building project to mesh with its surroundings in making a whole greater than the sum of parts. That's what good design does.

What was built is lazy, ugly, and hideous. St. Anthony threatened to abandon Midtown, and if they had, we would be talking about Midtown as if it were C2S, and C2S as if it were East Reno / AICC area. A really bad thing was averted and as a result, Midtown as we all know it, is well on its way to realizing its potential (perhaps the most of any district).

That said. This is a project that a legitimate process is legally and ethically required to evaluate on its own merits, rather than because we like someone, are glad they didn't leave, or are desperate that they'll stay, or whatever. I'm just calling that out because it's what happened in my opinion. Anyone who thinks its beautiful is more than welcome to that opinion, but honestly the massing of materiality is hard to look at, especially from Walker Circle. Below is a list of some of the ugliest buildings that we keep replicating, while we tear down awesome buildings like the KerMac, Hale Photo, Film Exchange, and especially the Preftakes block.

It's also notable that St. Anthony owns a lot of Midtown's worst properties, including faceless buildings, parking lots, gravel lots even, etc.
    Can someone please tell me where is the building in the 4th picture located? Thanks.

23. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Saints actually owns a bunch of property to the south and west of the hospital.

I was hopeful they would do more things like Lisbon Lofts and I know they had at one time considered doing more housing on a lot of those lots, but my understanding is there has been a change in management and now they are pretty indifferent about doing anything more any time soon.
    And just to be fair to Saints, they supported Lisbon Lofts financially, right?

And just to be fair to Saints, they supported Lisbon Lofts financially, right?
    Not that I'm aware of.

25. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

For some reason I recalled that from the developer graciously thanking Saints a lot, and citing their "involvement." Surely you don't have to do that just to build something with your own equity around their gravel lots...

Thread Information