Widgets Magazine

Thread: National Basketball Association

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Why are we any different than New Orleans and Memphis with similar per capita incomes and smaller population? Those cities don't seem to fret. Why do we so much?
    I wonder that too. Maybe because we're new at it? Or maybe our track record of giving up on non-winning teams. In the space between Switzer and Stoops you could go to any OU home game and get tickets at or below face value outside the stadium. I went to a lot of home games then.

Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    I wonder that too. Maybe because we're new at it? Or maybe our track record of giving up on non-winning teams. In the space between Switzer and Stoops you could go to any OU home game and get tickets at or below face value outside the stadium. I went to a lot of home games then.
    In 1998, the low point and deep into the Blake era, OU averaged over 70,000 fans a game. Not only is that not bad, it's really impressive. Any other examples? Average attendance never dipped below 66,000 at any time during the 1990s.

3. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    In 1998, the low point and deep into the Blake era, OU averaged over 70,000 fans a game. Not only is that not bad, it's really impressive. Any other examples? Average attendance never dipped below 66,000 at any time during the 1990s.
    Average paid attendance. But I guess that's what matters to the business end. There were lots of games actual attendance wasn't near that. I went to many.

Average paid attendance. But I guess that's what matters to the business end. There were lots of games actual attendance wasn't near that. I went to many.
    Sure, but you're just measuring it by OU's very high standards. 6,000-8,000 empty seats looks like a lot, but there that still results in 66,000 in attendance. Even if you argue another few thousand bought tickets and didn't show, I don't think OU ever dipped below 60,000 average. Even today, OU's worst attendance in the '90s would rank third in the Big 12 last season (OSU was third with an average of 57,688).

My point is, if people in this thread have been to other NBA arenas, they'd realize that NBA arenas are half empty all the time. Like, literally half empty. A number of teams in small markets had an average of 4-5,000 seats that went unpaid on average for the entire season... OKC hasn't even had a single non-blizzard game like that ever. Yet, people are already talking about them moving with both great attendance and loyal ownership. The demand for new arenas was sparked by the move towards new suites so that's not really a factor yet either. The Peake is fine until there's some new money-making arena amenity. I don't understand this thread besides some kind of self-depricating woe-is-me attitude. There are just no signs OKC's franchise is in any danger at all.

Sure, but you're just measuring it by OU's very high standards. 6,000-8,000 empty seats looks like a lot, but there that still results in 66,000 in attendance. Even if you argue another few thousand bought tickets and didn't show, I don't think OU ever dipped below 60,000 average. Even today, OU's worst attendance in the '90s would rank third in the Big 12 last season (OSU was third with an average of 57,688).

My point is, if people in this thread have been to other NBA arenas, they'd realize that NBA arenas are half empty all the time. Like, literally half empty. A number of teams in small markets had an average of 4-5,000 seats that went unpaid on average for the entire season... OKC hasn't even had a single non-blizzard game like that ever. Yet, people are already talking about them moving with both great attendance and loyal ownership. The demand for new arenas was sparked by the move towards new suites so that's not really a factor yet either. The Peake is fine until there's some new money-making arena amenity. I don't understand this thread besides some kind of self-depricating woe-is-me attitude. There are just no signs OKC's franchise is in any danger at all.
    Agree, I think Oklahomans are insecure. Support the Thunder as "our" team while winning big or losing ( which can and will at some point occur) and they will not leave. The value of the Thunder is not only in wins and losses but for me "pride" that MY home State is home to one of only 30 NBA teams that so many other cities covet.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Agree, I think Oklahomans are insecure. Support the Thunder as "our" team while winning big or losing ( which can and will at some point occur) and they will not leave. The value of the Thunder is not only in wins and losses but for me "pride" that MY home State is home to one of only 30 NBA teams that so many other cities covet.
    +1

Bingo.

And that is one of the single biggest pieces of fiction OU has ever produced, which I'm sure is tickets sold, not bodies in the seats. I went to games in that era and I remember walking in, fully ready to buy a ticket, and a guy hands me a 50-yard-line, upper deck, chairback seat, and there wasn't a soul around me. The north and south endzones were all-but empty on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon. 70K in attendance? Give me a physical break. Not even close. OU, insofar as that goes, really only cares about paid attendance, and there are undoubtedly plenty of ways to manufacture/bend/inflate those numbers for whatever PR purpose might be at hand, but as far as people actually there? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    And that is one of the single biggest pieces of fiction OU has ever produced, which I'm sure is tickets sold, not bodies in the seats. I went to games in that era and I remember walking in, fully ready to buy a ticket, and a guy hands me a 50-yard-line, upper deck, chairback seat, and there wasn't a soul around me. The north and south endzones were all-but empty on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon. 70K in attendance? Give me a physical break. Not even close. OU, insofar as that goes, really only cares about paid attendance, and there are undoubtedly plenty of ways to manufacture/bend/inflate those numbers for whatever PR purpose might be at hand, but as far as people actually there? No way.
    They were counting arms and legs.

You can go under face *right now* to any home game. That's been possible for decades, even at the height of Stoops' run. Since I graduated OU back in 1986, I've paid more than face value for an OU home game exactly twice: 2000 Nebraska, bought a single for $70, and 2007 Miami, only because I had to buy four to accommodate some friends coming in from out of town. It just takes a little patience and a willingness to walk the campus/stadium area a bit.

Some folks refuse to believe this, and have bought into the scarcity rhetoric OU tries very hard to create. Yet when I tell them to give it a try, they come back to me and tell me "I got in for $20 (or whatever) a seat, and got great seats! You were right!"

This year's home schedule is one of the worst in a long time, so home tickets will be bargain-basement this year. ..

Thread Information