Widgets Magazine

Thread: Edmond: development and flooding

Default Edmond: development and flooding

It's a bit frustrating to see Edmond city officials continue to grant approval to areas of development which compound flooding issues. The heavy rains on Friday and areas of flooding reminded me that city officials seem to be more concerned about development than they are they about how particular development increase flooding problems. Danforth and Western (and several places near Chishom Creek) were prone to flooding before development. But now the problem is only getting worse.

The problem is west, north and east Edmond. I noticed near flooding issues near the new Town Square addition around Danforth between Sooner and Coltrane. I drove by upcoming development in northeast Edmond to grasp how large the 450 and 350 new home additions will be. They are massive. I can't help but wonder if the City of Edmond have thoroughly completed their due diligence in determining where the amount of run off water will go.

At this point I have little confidence with the City of Edmond actually handling this problem.

Default Re: Edmond: development and flooding

Danforth and Western & Chisholm Creek are both in OKC.

As a longtime eastside of Edmond (actually Oklahoma County) resident, the area around Peavine creek and where it crosses a mile section road usually floods when we get heavy rain. I did see a number of fairly new homes bult with low drive ways that had at least 3' of water over them. Houses where above the water. Covell just east of the strip center at Air Depot had water over the road. The road is at ground level whick is a low area. Covel needs to be raised. I guess that will happen when the high school is built. I have had times that I had to travel east to find a way into Edmond. (note I am a retired Edmond Firefighter and rain in no excuse to not make it in to work. ) I made it over a bridge one time. One of my coworkers 10 min later found the bridge gone. Lone history of the area having flooding every time we get a big rain.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjumper View Post
    Danforth and Western & Chisholm Creek are both in OKC.
    Truth. The line between OKC & Edmond is about halfway between Santa Fe & Western on Danforth/192nd.

Edmond would flood regardless of development. Have you seen the soil around the areas you mentioned? I have! I've seen trenches 5ft and deeper, and the soil is primarily red clay all the way through. This red clay soil does not absorb rain water readily, and 95% of that rain will run off.

BUT, if you want to complain about development, I'm in! WAY too many houses/neighborhoods being built right now. I don't get where the growth is coming from. It is a total bummer too having lived here a while now...

Living in a desirable town and then getting upset when other people and businesses want to be there too...I will never understand that. Good towns dont just freeze in time and stop growing.

Regarding development and flooding, any new neighborhood or commercial development will always require water retention. You see them on every new thing being built thats of any significant size.

Unfortunately, many people want to live in Edmond for the high quality of life but think the door needs to be shut behind them so nobody else can get in and mess it up.

Thread Information