Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: OKCFest 2015

Default Re: OKCFest 2015

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    OKC has mostly been known as a place for red dirt and country.
    In terms of what? What comes out of it, or what comes to it?

Now, in terms of what is actually happening in OKC, Red Dirt is a small part of it. The Wormy Dog and Grady's in Yukon are the only places I know of that really have any focus on that type of music. On any given weekend in OKC, Red Dirt is not what you will find at most of the venues that regularly have music.

As far as what comes out of OKC, maybe. But the thing is, this is because a lot of Red Dirt acts have musicians from OKC or around OKC and, really, they pretty much go to Texas and take part in the Texas Music scene because that is where there are A LOT of venues catering to Red Dirt music. If anything, we export more Red Dirt than we bring in or cultivate and, in that case, yeah, we're known for it.

As for Tulsa, without trying to inject the stupid pissing contest, it's really known for one place and it's not like it's anything like an Austin or Nashville as far as it's own music scene (far from it). Cain's is a nice venue that books well, imo. But it should also be noted in this context that Cain's currently has several Red Dirtish acts on the books like Drive-by Truckers, Blackberry Smoke, Old 97s, Heartless Bastards, etc. And a couple of those I actually WISH were coming to OKC (again) soon.

At the end of the day, there are a lot of shows in OKC that are not Red Dirt country and a lot of resident bands that aren't as well. If you follow what's going on at 89th St. Collective (just saw Surfer Blood there) and the Opolis, they get a lot of indie rock that often only play in OKC when they come to Oklahoma. Of course, two years later they end up playing at Cain's and everyone goes "why do they get all the shows".

2. Default Re: OKCFest 2015

^^^^^^^
    Absolute truth.

Talked to the guys at Jones Assembly and they are definitely working on the next music festival.

Cains is a "nice venue"? Try charming steeped in history along with the Brady. I'm hopeful for the Criteron and have my Greg Allman tickets. Be nice not to have to drive to Winstar or Newkirk but frankly I'll believe it when I see it. Tulsa does support a wider variety of music. Central Ok fascinated with Red Dirt Americana and not much else. Widespread POanic has played to BOK. The show at the Zoo cancelled because apparently I was one of the few ticket holders. Went to Grady's once to hear world class blues guitarist Jimmy Thackery. There were 15 people there. I was so embarrassed. Jimmy was pissed which he fortunately channelled into his playing. btw, Opolis is in NormanOKC can't have it, neither The Deli..

5. Default Re: OKCFest 2015

Where is all of this Red Dirt and country that you and Chris keep griping about? Here is a listing of pretty much every major (and most smaller) shows booked in the entire state: Shows

Tulsa has many more shows than OKC (especially before the Criterion comes online), but also has WAY more Red Dirt and Americana or country. Your assertions are completely invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Cains is a "nice venue"? Try charming steeped in history along with the Brady.
    Compared to many venues, yeah, it's a nice venue, a very nice standard ballroom set up really. I really think it and the Brady are WAY over sold, though. That's just my opinion and I know a lot of people in Oklahoma disagree and I know artists like playing there. Cain's is a nice ballroom with good history for sure, but I have been to nicer ballrooms with more history, that's all. That doesn't mean I don't like going there or that I don't understand its history. I like the Brady, too, but compared to a lot of theaters, it's really on the blah side.

But, at the end of day, they both sound pretty good, which is what really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Cains is a "nice venue"? Try charming steeped in history along with the Brady. I'm hopeful for the Criteron and have my Greg Allman tickets. Be nice not to have to drive to Winstar or Newkirk but frankly I'll believe it when I see it. Tulsa does support a wider variety of music. Central Ok fascinated with Red Dirt Americana and not much else. Widespread POanic has played to BOK. The show at the Zoo cancelled because apparently I was one of the few ticket holders. Went to Grady's once to hear world class blues guitarist Jimmy Thackery. There were 15 people there. I was so embarrassed. Jimmy was pissed which he fortunately channelled into his playing. btw, Opolis is in NormanOKC can't have it, neither The Deli..
    I don't get this. If Widespread Panic is a wider variety of music, then what is Stevie Wonder, Dawes, OKGo, Foo Fighters, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ben Folds, Alt J, Primus, Slayer, Marilyn Manson, Fleetwood Mac, Phish, Surfer Blood, Twenty One Pilots, Spoon, They Might Be Giants, Vampire Weekend, Young the Giant, AWOLNATION, That's just off the top of my head from the last year or so in OKC. And that's not even mentioning anything in Norman.

Edit: Ben Folds hasn't happened yet this year, but I did see him in Norman once and in OKC with the Philharmonic (and, yes, at Cain's last year by himself).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Talked to the guys at Jones Assembly and they are definitely working on the next music festival.
    I hope it's packed with Red Dirt bands. ; )

9. Default Re: OKCFest 2015

Agree with BDP about Brady. Sounds great, neat history, but there are dozens of more impressive theater venues around the country; I've been to a number of them myself. Cain's OTOH is pretty special. Much of that because of history; not specific to the room itself. But the room is great too.

That said, once again there are plenty of examples of similar rooms; you have to look no further than the upstairs ballroom at OKC's Farmers Market. With consistent great bookings it would be very similar to Cain's.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Cain's OTOH is pretty special. Much of that because of history; not specific to the room itself. But the room is great too.
    Well, it always seems to happen when I talk about Cain's. I never say anything bad, but because I don't use any superlatives when talking about, people seem to take it wrong. I think I should just start nodding my head and saying "yeah totally the best".

I guess it's just that when I was told how amazing it was I was expecting something like

The Fillmore (which is probably unfair, but it lives off its history a lot too):

Or great American Music Hall:

As for the Brady, by the way some talk about, I was expecting something like the Warfield:

or The Wiltern

So, again, when I say they are nice venues, I am not putting them down at all as venues. Nor am I any kind of venue snob, I'm just saying that strictly looking at them as rooms, I don't find anything particularly unique or amazing about them and, really, I think it might just be a case of them initially being over sold to me. But like I said, that doesn't really matter if it sounds good and they do. And I'm going to Cain's next week and I am very much looking forward to it.

11. Default Re: OKCFest 2015

It doesn't get too many actual "concerts" a year, the Civic Center is extremely nice... although I don't see it ever getting shows like the Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Looks like Fred Hall disagrees with you. OKCFest to return in the fall, probably at the Jones Assembly building.

Will OKCFest return in 2016? | News OK
    Well, it is officially fall, I assume nothing will happen this year?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Well, it is officially fall, I assume nothing will happen this year?
    That's a correct assumption. Fred Hall has said it wouldn't be back this year. I believe the plan is to bring it back and use venues like the new Jones Assembly as focal points

Looks like it is coming back, but it will be ACM@UCO Metro Music Fest on Saturday, April 8th. Guided by Voices at The Criterion, Must Die! at the Performance Lab and a bunch of other bands I haven't heard of at various venues in OKC.

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=355734

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Looks like it is coming back, but it will be ACM@UCO Metro Music Fest on Saturday, April 8th. Guided by Voices at The Criterion, Must Die! at the Performance Lab and a bunch of other bands I haven't heard of at various venues in OKC.

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=355734
    acm metro music fest has been around for years and is not the same thing as okc fest.

Thread Information