Widgets Magazine

Thread: More Bond Issues for Mustang

Mustang More Bond Issues for Mustang

Looks like Mustang Public Schools is once again trying to pass another bond issue. This seems to be quite the trend. Seems like the school needs to do a better job planning, as they always seem to be behind the curve. I know when I was in school there many many years ago it always seemed like they expanded after we outgrew multiple portables that were already overcrowded.

Default Re: More Bond Issues for Mustang

"Some of those involved in project discussions have voiced concerns a second high school could cause a community split."

Yes. I know Mustang was completely divided when a new middle school was added. It was a North v South battle to rival the American Civil War, and Mustang still has not recovered from it. It was a permanent wedge shoved right into the community, splitting it apart forever. But also, somehow, unifying apparently, according to the very next paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    "Some of those involved in project discussions have voiced concerns a second high school could cause a community split."

Yes. I know Mustang was completely divided when a new middle school was added. It was a North v South battle to rival the American Civil War, and Mustang still has not recovered from it. It was a permanent wedge shoved right into the community, splitting it apart forever. But also, somehow, unifying apparently, according to the very next paragraph.
    Yeah their theory is flawed. I was a South kid and never really cared. Also their comment about everyone being a Bronco is not really true, since North are technically the Colts. Maybe what they mean is everyone is eventually a Bronco, but the argument still seems flawed. Moore, Edmond, and Norman having been getting along fine with split schools.

The sports departments don't want the talent diluted between 2 schools or there would already be a 2nd high school.

The Mustang Board of Education is having a special meeting to discuss the bond with the Administration and the long term planning committee tomorrow the 20th. I find it interesting the meeting is a "special" one and not during the regular board meetings. A disclosure, I am a slight conspiracy theorist.

The BOE website http://www.mustangps.org/boe.aspx

This takes you right to the Agenda.

http://www.mustangps.org/Downloads/O...%20Special.pdf

Also I it curious the bond vote is always at odd time like February. Why not have the bond during the November election and Mustang schools would get the best representation of its citizens? I am guessing lower turnout will have a better chance of passing with those wanting it passed will be the most energized.

They are wanting to turn Mustang H.S. into Union and Jenks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    They are wanting to turn Mustang H.S. into Union and Jenks.
    You're talking about Norman, right?

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    You're talking about Norman, right?
    No Norman already has 2 high schools. Mustang only has 1 like Jenks and Union.

So they are wanting to turn a place with one high school into a place with one high school? I'm just not following.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    No Norman already has 2 high schools. Mustang only has 1 like Jenks and Union.
    I mean if there's going to be another HS football powerhouse in the state, IMO Norman will be it. At least within the next several years they'll have the best chance of that. Mustang is a long way out for having two top ranked Class 6 schools.

Im just saying that Mustang is not going to split. They want to remain one big 6A high school so they can compete in sports.

You might find the comments in this thread interesting. There is a discussion of the merits or not of the large school concept in the Tulsa area. Many think it is a big benefit beyond athletics.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=owasso

I think this is the same article as the one posted before, just thought I'd add it to the discussion.

http://mustangpaper.com/2016/10/21/w...w-high-school/

Another article in today's paper for the upcoming bond.

Thread Information