Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: Where will you first be seeing this?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • In the theater

25 83.33%
  • At home on Blu-Ray or on-demand

3 10.00%
  • At home on cable or Netflix

2 6.67%
  • (Not interested at all)

0 0%

Thread: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16, 2016)

Default Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16, 2016)

Less than two months out!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is an upcoming American epic space opera film directed by Gareth Edwards and written by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy, from a story idea by visual effects supervisor John Knoll.[1] It will be the first stand-alone Star Wars Anthology film. Set in the Star Wars universe some time after the events of Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith and shortly before the events of the original Star Wars, the story will center on a group of Rebel spies on a mission to steal the plans for the Galactic Empire's new weapon, the Death Star. It will star Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Jiang Wen and Forest Whitaker.

Teaser

Trailer #1

Trailer #2

Default Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16, 2016)

Really curious to see how interested audiences will be in a Star Wars movie which is apparently absent of most, if not all of the usual Jedi vs. Sith, Skywalker family, lightsaber tropes. Especially since there's another couple of these types of movies in the pipeline.

Looking forward to it myself. Hopefully it'll turn out well.

3. Default Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16, 2016)

I think this one looks great. I am less excited for the Han Solo movie. This looks like a nice story to go with. Day one viewing for me at Warren

I was so disappointed with TFA that I'm just not that interested in SW films anymore. Literally the last couple of movies that JJ Abrams has made with the word Star in the title are remakes of movies that are over 30 years old.

Also, I don't think we need a separate movie for every peace of back story or minor character George Lucas created. Kind of like how I don't need a movie about how Charles Foster Kane's sled was made.

Blog Entries

I don't know, this one has the feel of a classic. The cinematography alone will draw me in.

I loved TFA and this one, while having a very different feel, looks great as well. I'm excited to see it. TFA totally washed the taste of the prequels out of my mouth.

I'll go see it, but the love I had for Star Wars in my youth was killed by the prequels and concurrent/subsequent relegation of the gargantuan expansive universe novels to non-canon status. That being said, The Force Awakens was miles ahead of the prequels in screenplay and character development, and felt more like it belonged with the original trilogy in look and feel.

8. Default Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I loved TFA and this one, while having a very different feel, looks great as well. I'm excited to see it. TFA totally washed the taste of the prequels out of my mouth.
    That's exactly what TFA was supposed to do; restore order to the Force. Hence the reboot/remake feel. While I agree that sometimes it just felt like an update of IV, I think it had to be done to - like you say - wash out the taste of the prequels, appeal to original fans and engage an entirely new generation of fans with something clearly similar and faithgul to the first trilogy.

Also, though JJ Abrams is still an influencer/consultant for future installments, he really had nothing to do with the actual execution (writing/direction) of Rogue One, nor will he be doing future installments unless things change.

Last but not least, the fans are for sure going to show up for this one if for no reason other than Darth Vader. Oh, and the wrinkle I like is that it essentially a heist film, which is a creative departure from most of the previous films.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Last but not least, the fans are for sure going to show up for this one if for no reason other than Darth Vader. Oh, and the wrinkle I like is that it essentially a heist film, which is a creative departure from most of the previous films.
    AndI think we can really thanks Marvel/Disney for this. They've figured out that "superhero" isn't a genre, it's a plot element. We've seen action movies, space adventures, heist films, and spy thrillers from Marvel, all that just happen to involve costumed heroes. I think we could see the same type of expansion in the Star Wars universe.

AndI think we can really thanks Marvel/Disney for this. They've figured out that "superhero" isn't a genre, it's a plot element.
    I would say Chris Nolan showed the way on that. Before The Dark Knight, all such films were treated as genre films. One of TDK's major influences is Heat. TDK is basically a crime drama with a costumed hero and villain. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I would say Chris Nolan showed the way on that. Before The Dark Knight, all such films were treated as genre films. One of TDK's major influences is Heat. TDK is basically a crime drama with a costumed hero and villain. That's all.
    Trouble is DC seems to have learned the wrong lessons from TDK.

Trouble is DC seems to have learned the wrong lessons from TDK.
    That's an understatement. The Dark Knight stands on a pedestal compared to what's being pushed today by both Marvel and DC. Although I do think there are a few gems from Marvel. Then again, if you include Fox's X Men movies, Marvel properties has around 20+ movies.

But as for Rogue One, I think the flavor it's pushing is different than in TFA, and I think it'll be for the better. I enjoyed TFA and definitely put it way above the prequels though.

And like Traxx said, take away the costumes and you have a completey built crime/spy thriller for the Dark Knight. It's just a ridiculously solid movie.

I agree that TFA was better than the prequels but I equate it to watching the OU/TT game and saying, "Hey, at least we're not as bad as when Blake was coach." If you set the standard that low, it's not difficult to beat.

Rouge One looks promising mostly because it shows that the Starwars universe is a lot bigger than the Skywalkers or Solos.

15. Default Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I agree that TFA was better than the prequels but I equate it to watching the OU/TT game and saying, "Hey, at least we're not as bad as when Blake was coach." If you set the standard that low, it's not difficult to beat.
    Again, I think the whole point of the movie was to hit the reset button, bring the franchise more closely in line with the original trilogy in look and feel, re-engage the fan base, and set the table for what was to come. To stick with your analogy, think of it as the 1999 OU season.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Again, I think the whole point of the movie was to hit the reset button, bring the franchise more closely in line with the original trilogy in look and feel, re-engage the fan base, and set the table for what was to come. To stick with your analogy, think of it as the 1999 OU season.
    I agree and I understand, I just thought it was poorly done. When the trailers for TFA came out it had scenes with all the feels -- "Chewie, we're home." "It's all true..." etc. But when you watched the actual movie those moments were short lived. The story was moving too fast and the fan didn't get any time to linger or bask in those moments. JJ has always been much more interested in the technical side of film making and less adept at characterization and storytelling. For instance; if any of you have ever seen Super 8, there's a scene at the train station where Elle Fanning is giving a particularly good performance and it should be her moment. But JJ's stupid lens flairs take over the screen and distract the viewer. He's so infatuated with technically "cool" things he forgets about the characters and the story.

17. Default Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16, 2016)

Well, then the good news is that he won't be writing or directing future installments (at least as of now), and didn't do either for Rogue One.

New International Trailer

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but does the death Star have to be in every Star Wars movie. To me it is getting old. The empire should have figures out by now that the death star is not a good idea because it always gets blown up.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Not trying to sound like a jerk, but does the death Star have to be in every Star Wars movie. To me it is getting old. The empire should have figures out by now that the death star is not a good idea because it always gets blown up.
    This movie takes place between III and IV.

21. Default Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16, 2016)

Growing up was a huge Star Wars fan. I thought it lost it's way and was hopeful with TFA. TFA was a huge disappointment for me. I'm a bit more hopeful with this incarnation. I'll probably see them all, but I've given up getting excited about them.

Well, it won't get blown up by the end of this one. Plus, I have a feeling most of heroes won't make it out alive.

<facepalm> Out of now 8 movies (or 11 if you count Ewok Movies and the Christmas Special), the Death Star will have been in 3 (4 if you count the in construction glimpse in Episode 3), and this is the same death star as Episode 3 and 4.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Well, it won't get blown up by the end of this one. Plus, I have a feeling most of heroes won't back it out alive.
    Yeah, I'm expecting a very Dirty Dozen type movie. I'm waiting for the follow up will we get an intrepid team lead by Mannie Bothans (who sadly, won't make it out alive).

Thread Information