Widgets Magazine

Thread: Dance Music / local dance clubs

Default Dance Music / local dance clubs

After OKC Trivia ends in about a month at FlashBack RetroPub, I may start DJ-ing there on Thursday nights.

They have DJ's playing on Friday and Saturday to packed houses and it's great fun but it's all the pretty common 80's and 90's stuff.

Pink Parrot in Bricktown also plays 90's on Wednesday but I went a couple of weeks ago and it's very much hip-hop and not even confined to that decade.

I would like to play things from the 70's, 80's and 90's that go a bit deeper. Tracks that are awesome and recognizable but also a little bit less cliched (don't mean that as a knock on the other nights, but it's all stuff we've heard over and over again).

I have a big library of great music from that era that I think will play well.

Also thinking about doing a pure electronica night, one dance-able rock night, etc.

What would you like to hear and dance to?

Default Re: Dance Music / local dance clubs

I don't go clubbing often at all so I may be completely out of touch here - but as far as EDM goes, it seems difficult to find any place playing any good trance or house music. Those are definitely my preferred flavors of electronica. Basically, if you'd hear it on Armin Van Buuren's A State of Trance or Above and Beyond's Group Therapy, that's what I'd love to hear and dance to.

3. Default Re: Dance Music / local dance clubs

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I don't go clubbing often at all so I may be completely out of touch here - but as far as EDM goes, it seems difficult to find any place playing any good trance or house music. Those are definitely my preferred flavors of electronica. Basically, if you'd hear it on Armin Van Buuren's A State of Trance or Above and Beyond's Group Therapy, that's what I'd love to hear and dance to.
    Been listening to Above and Beyond for years at work. Really nice mellow stuff. Not sure I would dance to it?

You, sir, have good taste in music! :

It does depend on the individual tracks, to be honest; progressive trance and electro house is probably closer to where I'm thinking. Stuff like London Grammar's Hey Now (Arty Remix), Armin Van Buuren's Waiting For The Night (Beat Service Radio Edit), York's With You (York Meets Deep Voices Clubmix), Audien's Iris, Shogun's Find Me, Luminary's Amsterdam (Smith & Pledger Remix), Kim Leoni's Medicine (Extended Cut), Super8 & Tab's Patience (Estiva Remix), Myon & Shane 54's Lights (Club Mix), Denis Kenzo's Lullaby Lonely (Progressive Mix)... That sort of stuff. You'd think that Trance's characteristic ambient breakdown wouldn't lend itself very well to the dance floor, but I've seen it work quite well especially with the younger crowd. Especially if the up-tempo parts have a hard driving beat, it causes the energy on the dance floor to kind of ebb and flow in a very exciting sort of manner.

1970's- Turn the beat around, car wash, video killed the radio star, we are family, kung fu fighting (depending on how much they've been drinking), ladies night and pretty much anything disco that wasn't already mentioned.
    1980's - Anything Michael Jackson, Super Freak, any upbeat Whitney Houston song (Wanna dance with somebody), walk like an Egyptian, me, myself and I (de la soul)
    1990's - earlier rap/hip hop (MC hammer, Arrested Development, De La Soul, Kid N Play, Naughty By Nature, Vanilla Ice, RUN DMC, Young MC), groove is in the heart, love shack.

I mostly listened to "hair bands in the late 80's, early 90's, but these are groups I would get up and dance to.

we have been going to Sauced on first Fridays as they had been doing 80's and 90's Club music. I was more of a club kid in those days and loved that music of those decades more than the top 40 stuff. Think Starck Club in Dallas. those are themed nights me and friends like to hit.
    Book of love, C.C.C.P. ( American soviets is a must), Depeche Mode, The Cure, PSB, joy Division, echo and the bunnymen, Berlin, When in Rome, Section 25 ( looking from a hilltop), Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Bauhaus, new order, MCL, Yazz ... That's a good list in my book

^

Does anybody get up and dance at Sauced?

Yes. there have been some Fridays where the dance floor is packed.. its in the SOS side of sauced beyond the little bar portion and back by the 2nd bar.. an odd little place which makes it kind of a fun little dark dance bar. you should check it out. they have a DJ in there every Friday and Saturday I believe but first Friday is flashback Friday. they even hosted a Wreck Room reunion on one of the Flashback Fridays. was a lot of fun.

Thanks, I'll go check it out.

First Friday is always Flashback.. the other nights just depend on what they have booked. kind of interesting little side club to Sauced. I was surprised first time I went that it was there.

11. Default Re: Dance Music / local dance clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    we have been going to Sauced on first Fridays as they had been doing 80's and 90's Club music. I was more of a club kid in those days and loved that music of those decades more than the top 40 stuff. Think Starck Club in Dallas. those are themed nights me and friends like to hit.
    Book of love, C.C.C.P. ( American soviets is a must), Depeche Mode, The Cure, PSB, joy Division, echo and the bunnymen, Berlin, When in Rome, Section 25 ( looking from a hilltop), Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Bauhaus, new order, MCL, Yazz ... That's a good list in my book
    Dude. All of that.

Depeche Mode and the Cure would be easy to get people up and dancing to, if you have any sort of DJ'ing background. Lots of great songs in their catalog, hard to pick even a few.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Depeche Mode and the Cure would be easy to get people up and dancing to, if you have any sort of DJ'ing background. Lots of great songs in their catalog, hard to pick even a few.
    Probably the best post I've ever seen on here. DM, The Cure, New Order, and the arm load of artists they've influenced over the years should be played as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    Probably the best post I've ever seen on here. DM, The Cure, New Order, and the arm load of artists they've influenced over the years should be played as much as possible.
    I lean in this direction too but remember the large majority of people that go to these places and get out and dance are younger and as a DJ, you have to know and entertain your audience.

On Wednesday after trivia I stayed and played music I liked at FlashBack and that was purely self-indulgent because the crowd really thins out afterwards.

I can tell you from many years as a DJ people almost always want to hear music they know and since most people who go out are younger, you have to cater to their tastes rather than your own.

Now, you can lead them along and play things along the edges that are great and which they only slightly know, but you can't live in that space; no one will dance or come back.

I thought about trying to cater to a slightly older crowd but in the end those people don't come out, especially on a Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Plus Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, nin, etc. (the harder stuff) and throw in some house and acid house while you're at it.

16. Default Re: Dance Music / local dance clubs

Since you are doing this at Flashback Retropub.... My vote is for some Lawrence Welk Polka music..... Now that's retro!

And who knows... It might catch on... lol

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Since you are doing this at Flashback Retropub.... My vote is for some Lawrence Welk Polka music..... Now that's retro!

And who knows... It might catch on... lol

no to the Polka!!..lol
    I was thinking more.

Nm

Thread Information