Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

The best thing for the metro area would be for each of the big suburban communities to start developing a very dense core for their respective cities. Then we link them together with a light rail system. If the individual communities would create their own streetcar systems that would be even better.

In the area that I prefer for a new OU arena I noticed a couple of days ago that 2 more old houses had been removed that I had not noticed prior. With OU continuing to remove structures in this area it seems clear that OU has something in mind for this land besides more parking.

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1730619
    Just saw this article, as a student there I can attest that a residential hall is in more of a need. I've been to almost every game since the mid 90's and I love the stadium and have always wanted the south endzone to be bowled in but I think it can wait 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    https://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1730619
    Just saw this article, as a student there I can attest that a residential hall is in more of a need. I've been to almost every game since the mid 90's and I love the stadium and have always wanted the south endzone to be bowled in but I think it can wait 4-5 years.
    Everything is always subject to change but Boren says that's not true.

http://m.newsok.com/ou-president-den...rticle/5388562

LAWTON — Calling it “erroneous” and “inaccurate,” David Boren emphatically denied a report that he’s postponed football stadium renovations.

The University of Oklahoma president did, though, admit that falling oil and gas prices have hurt fundraising efforts for all OU projects, including the $370 million proposal to renovate Gaylord Family — Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.
    “I don’t know where you got your information,” Boren told a SoonerScoop.com reporter after pulling a printed-out copy of the report from his jacket.

“Must have been from the athletics department from the way it reads, someone who works over there. But I don’t know where you got it. You didn’t get it from me. It’s inaccurate. You didn’t get it from the board of regents.”

The new scoreboard is spectacular.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5513939

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The new scoreboard is spectacular.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5513939
    Even more startling in person. The thing is immense. And the new SEZ structure makes the interior of the stadium seem MUCH smaller, "closer to the field" - realize its just a perception, but man, if the fans can crank up the noise level, that place is going to be a *beast* for anyone coming in. And I was in there briefly yesterday - with that endzone cut off, the light breeze had no way in the stadium, so even on a nice day like yesterday, that clear-sky sunlight made it HOT in just the few minutes I was in there to watch the scoreboard.

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that the old scoreboard was going to be put on the other side.

I agree, I was in the stadium about a month ago and was shocked by how different it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I don't know why, but I was under the impression that the old scoreboard was going to be put on the other side.
    That was the original plan. The architects advised OU that the north stands would require extensive modification to support the board, and the various options were too expensive and the plan was dropped.

I am hearing some rumbling this issue may come up again, however. Too early to say just yet.

I was at GMS this afternoon. The stadium is really looking nice. It will have a completely different feel inside and out. But I have got to warn anyone attending games this year to allow lots of extra time due to congested streets caused by street construction and traffic congestion.

It took me about 50 minutes to drive 7 miles. This is going to be the worst OU season ever for game day traffic.

15. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I was at GMS this afternoon. The stadium is really looking nice. It will have a completely different feel inside and out. But I have got to warn anyone attending games this year to allow lots of extra time due to congested streets caused by street construction and traffic congestion.

It took me about 50 minutes to drive 7 miles. This is going to be the worst OU season ever for game day traffic.
    Just don't take Lindsey. Allow extra time since Main and Robinson are going to be packed. Maybe try taking Sooner Road or Hwy 9 if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Just don't take Lindsey. Allow extra time since Main and Robinson are going to be packed. Maybe try taking Sooner Road or Hwy 9 if possible.
    And, for the most part, there's a connected grid street system in and around the campus...so there's lots of side and neighborhood streets that can be used as well to navigate your way.

I have attended nearly 300 home OU football games since 1971 and have done a great deal of parking and traffic experimenting over the years….A great deal depends on where you park….and then where you’re going after the game…

But on the way home East of I- 35 I would avoid ….. most of West Main street, Flood street south of Robinson, West Boyd, Classen & Porter Streets, 24th Ave NW south of Robinson, Brooks street east and west of campus, HY 9 will be a parking lot.

Sooner road south of Tecumseh moves very slow. An alternative to avoid the backups at traffic lights on Sooner Road may be to continue east to 24 Ave NE then north to Tecumseh.
    I have had very good luck for many years snaking around on the residential streets from near campus to Robinson Street.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    It took me about 50 minutes to drive 7 miles.
    #everydayinlababy

There is also construction on Main at the Norman High that has the road down to one lane each way.

From the Norman police. All season game day traffic.

Click to read full article and view map.
    http://normanpd.normanok.gov/pd/ou-g...formation-2016

For the past several years I have suggested to OU, city of Norman officials and prominent members of the media that Flood Avenue be made one way north bound after games…. I’m happy to post that it’s finally going to be done but just to Main Street. It would be great if this was extended to Robinson…

There is a lot more that could cheaply be done that would aid in post-game traffic de congestion with a more willing city government… The congestion seriously delays emergency response times, putting life and property at significant increased risk. To a degree it also lowers the desirability of some to attend games.

Thread Information