Widgets Magazine

Thread: Alley's End (4th & EK Gaylord)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 4th & EK Gaylord

^^^^^

I feel like Fassler Hall was one of the newer additions that really brought this to my attention and I'm sure to others as well. Very minimal parking compared to the capacity, and after some negotiations with neighboring businesses, it seems like it has worked out well... until Midtown Renaissance builds a garage.

Default Re: 4th & EK Gaylord

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    ^^^^^

I feel like Fassler Hall was one of the newer additions that really brought this to my attention and I'm sure to others as well. Very minimal parking compared to the capacity, and after some negotiations with neighboring businesses, it seems like it has worked out well... until Midtown Renaissance builds a garage.
    And I know OKC will never be as dense as some major cities, but... businesses and developers won't start finding creative solutions for parking/transportation until they're forced to. Individual businesses can make it with minimal parking because (a) less parking can translate into more dense developments with more housing and more walking/biking, and (b) the overall parking ecosystem usually has parking available once people/businesses are forced to find arrangments. Matching parking spots with individual developments/businesses is more of a suburban approach.

And just to clarify, I'm not saying parking garages are bad as this development obviously needs parking. I'm just saying that in general I hope OKC puts urban/walkable principles ahead of parking spaces in urban developments.

Thread Information