Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mama Roja Mexican Kitchen

Default Re: Major kudos to MamaRojas!!

Guys, no disrespect, but I really didn't post this with the intent of starting a Mexican restaurant flamewar. I just wanted to give props to a really nice suppertime my family had at MamaRoja's. We see so many complaints and grumping around here about things going wrong and restaurants and businesses that suck (myself included), I just wanted to post something positive. Can't we keep it positive?

If you don't like MamaRoja's fine, whatever, that's your prerogative, but geez....

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    I lived in SoCal for around 10 years...And I've always been supremely disappointed with the Mexican food in OKC.
    I'm in SoCal often because my brother has lived there for about 40 years. I've had Mexican there often and it's just a different brand of Mexican, which doesn't mean it's better or worse. I did really like the food at Red O Restaurant by Rick Bayless, though.

I lived in SoCal for around 10 years...And I've always been supremely disappointed with the Mexican food in OKC. That said...I love Mama Roja's.
    You and me both. I have lived here for 15 years and I still haven't found a Mexican restaurant that serves a FRESH Chili Relleno. A neighbor told me if I was serious about Mexican food, then I needed to take a trip out to Hatch, NM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatch.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	6876

Mama Roja's may be my favorite place overall in Okc. The service is 2nd to none. They do an excellent job here. They also have dish's you can't get anywhere else around here. Oh and ask for their secret sauces they have like the green sauce, smokey sauce, and habanero.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Heaton View Post
    You and me both. I have lived here for 15 years and I still haven't found a Mexican restaurant that serves a FRESH Chili Relleno. A neighbor told me if I was serious about Mexican food, then I needed to take a trip out to Hatch, NM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatch.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	6876
    Chuy's in Norman has a good stuffed Chili Relleno. The best Chili Relleno I ever had was in a small Mexican restaurant in Etter, Texas back in the 70's. Etter was a widespot in the road north of Dumas. Had a Mexican restaurant and grain elevator. People from all over the panhandles made the trip to eat there. I often wonder if it is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Guys, no disrespect, but I really didn't post this with the intent of starting a Mexican restaurant flamewar. I just wanted to give props to a really nice suppertime my family had at MamaRoja's. We see so many complaints and grumping around here about things going wrong and restaurants and businesses that suck (myself included), I just wanted to post something positive. Can't we keep it positive?

If you don't like MamaRoja's fine, whatever, that's your prerogative, but geez....
    The wife loves Mama Roja's. It is worth our drive and time to go from far sw OKC there periodically. The prices are a little more, but, the quality and quantity of the food is outstanding.

I lived in SoCal for around 10 years...And I've always been supremely disappointed with the Mexican food in OKC. That said...I love Mama Roja's. I prefer it over Ted's by quite a margin.
    I'm guessing that's because what you get in most of OK, at least as my wife and her mom tell me, is TexMex, not "pure" Mexican, for whatever that's worth. They tell me most "conventional" Mexican dishes are simpler dishes that reflect the more realistic availability of ingredients in most mainstream Mexico homes, and they based that on their multiple years of mission trips to various parts of Mexico back when my wife was a kid. Lots of interesting insights.

My mother-in-law made tacos for the kids at a Seattle-area church back in the 70's and, back then, it was a revelation for them - virtually no Mexican food of any kind in that part of the country back then. They went nuts over them

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    The wife loves Mama Roja's. It is worth our drive and time to go from far sw OKC there periodically. The prices are a little more, but, the quality and quantity of the food is outstanding.
    Figured it would be a little pricey given the location. Wife and I don't get to go out very often so might skip over Shogun (normally head there if we are up for a drive) next time and try this place out.

I'll give Mama Roja's and Chuy's a try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Figured it would be a little pricey given the location. Wife and I don't get to go out very often so might skip over Shogun (normally head there if we are up for a drive) next time and try this place out.
    Wife and I LOVE Shogun's, especially since we don't have a Benihana's here in OKC. Would LOVE a Benihana in OKC.

Wife and I LOVE Shogun's, especially since we don't have a Benihana's here in OKC. Would LOVE a Benihana in OKC.
    Oh my gosh...I have not been to a Benihana since I left California in 1977. I would LOVE a Tarantino's!

Tarantino's Restaurant Fisherman's Wharf

12. Default Re: Major kudos to MamaRojas!!

I'm guessing that's because what you get in most of OK, at least as my wife and her mom tell me, is TexMex, not "pure" Mexican, for whatever that's worth. They tell me most "conventional" Mexican dishes are simpler dishes that reflect the more realistic availability of ingredients in most mainstream Mexico homes, and they based that on their multiple years of mission trips to various parts of Mexico back when my wife was a kid. Lots of interesting insights.

My mother-in-law made tacos for the kids at a Seattle-area church back in the 70's and, back then, it was a revelation for them - virtually no Mexican food of any kind in that part of the country back then. They went nuts over them
    Could be.

Could also be that I was in my 20's, and wasn't as picky. I also drank a lot more

J/K...I've been back since, and still found it to be much better.

Now I want some Mama Roja's.

I went after church a couple of weeks ago. It was a great visit.

I had my standard, fajitas, and they did not disappoint. The managers were walking around and asking what I was drinking, as if the server was slow. I was glad to see such attention, and did promptly assure them that I'm a fast drinker, lest they come down on her.

The prices are actually pretty manageable as compared to elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Mama Rojas was suppose to be Los Cabos , and at the last minute the guy pulled away from Hal Smith group. Thus Mama Rojas was born, which IMO was a huge disappointment because Los Cabos is the best in the state and it belongs to Tulsa.
    Completely disagree with tis statement. I've never had anything better than average during my Los Cabos visits. Mama Rojas has been more consistent and simply better IMO.

Default Re: Mama Roja Mexican Kitchen

Finally made it to this place last evening...

It's really a beautiful setting; not only on the lake but the main indoor room faces slightly north and the patio is on the northside, so you can watch the sun set without getting blinded.

Had the swirl margarita which I really enjoyed. Just had the nachos (appetizers are half off before 7PM) but they were very good, as were the chips and salsa. Queso was think and not very flavorful.

Service was excellent. I've always had solid experiences at all the Hal Smith places.

I will go back for sure, as I love the outdoor space, the setting and the drinks were good, food seemed solid. They were also very busy for a Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Finally made it to this place last evening...

It's really a beautiful setting; not only on the lake but the main indoor room faces slightly north and the patio is on the northside, so you can watch the sun set without getting blinded.

Had the swirl margarita which I really enjoyed. Just had the nachos (appetizers are half off before 7PM) but they were very good, as were the chips and salsa. Queso was think and not very flavorful.

Service was excellent. I've always had solid experiences at all the Hal Smith places.

I will go back for sure, as I love the outdoor space, the setting and the drinks were good, food seemed solid. They were also very busy for a Monday night.
    I was there yesterday evening as well, about 6:30, with the wife and daughter. It was like the last 2 times there. Food is ok, but, the prices are ridiculous for the amount of food you get. The setting is very cool, that must be what they are charging you for. This place is rapidly dropping off of my list for Tex-Mex in the OKC area.

17. Default Re: Mama Roja Mexican Kitchen

Pot.

Roast.

Burrito.

And get the other salsas too. They're great.

Try the carne asada next time you are in Pete. Delish!

Thread Information