Widgets Magazine

Thread: Real Estate magazine/guide?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Real Estate magazine/guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Northsiders think they are superior by divine right ....
    Only because we are

Default Re: Real Estate magazine/guide?

Quote Originally Posted by merryfim View Post
    Email me your email address to merryfim@msn.com and I will send you some pics, florrplans, and prices of some of the homes we have in Mustang.
    Done, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Yes indeed. Welcome to Oklahoma City!!

It is a great city and metropolis and has a wonderful future. The people are wonderful and there is much to do. If you can handle the weather (I can't thats why I live in Seattle), I think OKC is one of those hidden gems that doesn't get enough credit among the other big metro areas.

- It seems like it. The weather is obviously a concern being from Wyoming where we don't get above the low to mid 90's during the main heat of summer...and of course the tornados are a worry. How prevalent are tornado shelters in houses? I've seen some online house listings that will specify "storm shelter" or "safe room" but was curious if it is more of a luxury or a standard feature?

As Karried mentioned, you may want to consider school districts in your choice for a home, but I should also mention that even in the inner city you can find great choices and wonderful urban schools. And the inner city Oklahoma City Public School district is improving as well, as a result of our school improvement initiative called Maps for Kids. So honestly, unless you chose to live in our many ghetto's or something (which I'd assume you wouldn't) - Oklahoma City as a whole is a great find.

-The sad part is, your "bad" school districts seem to test better on that Greatschools website than our good ones.

Some areas I like are - NW Oklahoma City near Lake Hefner (Putnam City Schools [I graduated from PC North]), central city neighbourhoods near Oklahoma City University (OCU)/Asia District/Paseo (OKC Schools, but very very diverse and lots of urban amenities if you like that), downtown (obviously, our recent hot spot with new schools on the way; lots to do), Southside has several nice areas and is very diverse with a hispanic populous (seems like mexico in many areas), Northside (Edmond School district).

- The main area a lady that my wife knows (who lives in the Dear Creek area) says to avoid is Midwest City. Other than that, I really don't know of any other places to avoid. Where is most of your crime centered around?
    Thanks for the info.

Moore is a very interesting and growing suburb due south of Oklahoma City. It is developing its downtown and has great access to the big city and wonderful schools as well. Norman, home to the University of Oklahoma, is our largest suburb in population and is quite cosmopolitan.

We've seen quite a few houses we like in Moore and are very interested in it. It would be great to hear from more Moore residents.

If you're into rural living, there are a number of suburbs and exurbs to consider. You mentioned Yukon, then there's nearby El Reno, Mustang (great schools), and Piedmont. Piedmont is very close to the Putnam City area of NW Oklahoma City - lots of convenience. In the SE there's Shawnee, Midwest City offers a more urban experience while not being too urban. In the NE Oklahoma County, there's many rural towns like Jones, Luther, Choctaw (housing boom there), Harrah, etc - these communities offer a forested look if trees are of heavy importance to you. To the North is the suburb of Guthrie, Edmond (which you already know about) and the Exurb of Stillwater - home to Oklahoma State University.

This is great info! We saw a development called "Triple Crown Meadows" that is located around the Seward area. It looked promising and in our price range (up to 180k). How are the commutes from say Guthrie, Jones, Piedmont, Yukon, etc.?

The point of this, no matter what you like or want - the Oklahoma City region can provide it for you.

Once again, congratulations on your choice of Oklahoma City and welcome to our renaissance. Notice that I still say "our" even tho I reside in Seattle. You'll find many expats like me who have a fondness for OKC!
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    I know there's quite a northside/Edmond bias on this board, but... "seems like Mexico in many areas"??? Yes, there are a few Hispanic neighborhoods. There are also very wealthy areas, areas with Asian populations, working class areas-- about the same mix you can find anywhere in the metro, if you look hard enough.
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread to start a north/south argument or anything, but... come on.
    I'm not really too concerned with a race bias UNLESS there is a "anti-white" area that would have a problem with us. I could care less what race someone is, but sadly that is not the case with everyone. For example, my hometown in Colorado is exploding with a Hispanic population and while I just try to go about my business when we visit, it really seems as though I am treated like "an outsider" and we are acted pretty rudely too. Kind of a "what do you think you're doing here" attitude.

Trash comes in every color from what i've seen. Heck, Wyoming is VERY white, but there are a ton of jerks, trash, rednecks, etc. here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Anyone who comes to live in OKC might easily be caught off guard by the north side vs. south side argument. Northsiders think they are superior by divine right .... because they live north of I-40.
    I'll admit, most of the places we have been steered toward are North of I-40 with the exceptions of Mustang and Moore. Are there some other great 'burbs that we are missing in the South?

Thanks again to everyone. I'm so glad I found this website and message board. As things get closer and the search narrows, I might run some neighborhoods by you guys to get your input.

Thanks again.

Thread Information